Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
So yeah. Absolutely zero reasoning besides the usual "it's a classic" :lol:
Go play your neckthru 7, im gonna go play my strat :lol:

Im not sure why that isnt enough of a reason. Music exists because someone said “i want to make this” regardless of how many other people appreciate it :lol:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

Im not sure why that isnt enough of a reason. Music exists because someone said “i want to make this” regardless of how many other people appreciate it :lol:

You're completely missing the point. A strat with an AANJ style joint and all other elements being equal will still sound like a strat and play like a strat. Only that it will play a lot better than a strat, without changing the feel or tone in the slightest. I never mentioned neckthoughs. Suhr got it right:

modern-terra-ltd-01-ltd-0014-hsh-trem-eb-72766-hd-2-199521.jpg

Or:

ibanez-at-100cl-sb.jpg

I'm sure you love your guitar, but for me there is zero logical reason to stick to inefficient designs when way better alternatives exist.

Last edited:

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You're completely missing the point. A strat with an AANJ style joint and all other elements being equal will still sound like a strat and play like a strat. Only that it will play a lot better than a strat, without changing the feel or tone in the slightest. I never mentioned neckthoughs. Suhr got it right:

I'm sure you love your guitar, but for me there is zero logical reason to stick to inefficient designs when way better alternatives exist.
1712071424765.jpeg

As did Charvel. (FMIC if you have the ability to do this, just make it standard. At least on the Charvel and Jacksons...)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

Or:

ibanez-at-100cl-sb.jpg

Nah, I’ve just never been playing high up the neck and thought “this neck joint is stopping me from playing better”. Those joints wont change how I play :shrug:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
People posting superstrats as an argument for why classic strats should be less classic have missed the point entirely.

So a strat with a non-stupid neck joint is called a superstrat then? Kinda makes sense :rofl:

Fender won't do it. The second they try to do it, the anger of a million boomers will rage upon FMIC headquarters

Looks like they're starting to come into reason:

fender-american-ultra-series-back.jpg

spawnofthesith

Reaction score

I thought he was gonna complain about gibson at least (which is still A OK in my book) but taking issue with a strat? gtfo lol

If the joint on an LP or strat is inhibiting your playing, you probably need to practice more or work on your technique. I'll give the benefit of the doubt though, maybe those that complain just have tiny hands

"ergonomic" isn't really catch all either. I can't tell you the number of allegedly "ergonomic" products I've used that absolutely are not for me

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
This is the unpopular opinions thread, and I'll fight all of you if necessary! :lol:

If you prefer the square block joint to a ergonomic one you're either a masochist, or don't play on the high frets as much. Even if you have the technique of Steve Vai, the high fret access is worse no matter how much you argue about it. And that is an objective measurable and factual thing. Not debatable. No matter how big or small your hands are.

You don't care about high fret access? Great. Are square joints an obsolete design that should die and leave room for better ones? Absolutely.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Incendiary opinion time? Nice.

Simply not liking Floyds is fine (I believe Guthrie Govan mentioned he didn't like the feel of the locking nut when his hand is around the first fret) - that's a perfectly acceptable preference to have. Comfort is paramount when it comes to playing and should be regarded as such.

Having said that, if you think a Floyd Rose (or any derivative/locking tremolo) is difficult to setup or service, or is in any way complicated, it is with near certainty you also can't change your own oil and I absolutely pity your ineptitude. If the concept of spring tension against string tension is bewildering, I don't know what to tell you. Revisit your middle school textbooks, maybe.

If you can't do basic service on the things you own, you don't really own them.

tedtan

Reaction score
Define huge square neck joint - a strat?

We have had neckthrus for what, almost 40 years? The alternative is widely available :lol:

+1 to let heel access truss rods requiring neck off to quietly die out. Heel access with thumbwheels a la ebmm or a cutout for the allen key would be fine.
Rickenbacker has been making neck through solid body guitars since 1956. I don’t know if there are any earlier examples, but we’ve had neck throughs for at least 68 years at this point (damn, I thought I was old :lol:).

If the joint on an LP or strat is inhibiting your playing, you probably need to practice more or work on your technique. I'll give the benefit of the doubt though, maybe those that complain just have tiny hands
It’s not so much practice, it’s more learning to angle your hand differently to get around the heel and cutaway. I learned this playing acoustics with a cutaway and ever since, going back to a Les Paul, Strat or Tele is a non-issue.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't have any trouble with floyds in terms of setup, but they do something to the feel of a guitar that I don't like. The picking/muting hand has to sit in a different spot, the mutes feel squishier and softer, etc. So floyds suck because they feel bad to play, not because of any objective measure. Pretty much any of the Ibanez derivative or proprietary bridges I've tried feel a ton better.

protest

Reaction score
I don't mind the square neck joint as much as the ridiculous truss rod adjustment. I would have to take the neck off my JP 50 times a year.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Simply not liking Floyds is fine (I believe Guthrie Govan mentioned he didn't like the feel of the locking nut when his hand is around the first fret) - that's a perfectly acceptable preference to have. Comfort is paramount when it comes to playing and should be regarded as such.
I suppose that when you slide rubber bands from the headstock to mute stuff the locking nut can be very annoying. I have hit it a lot of times for sure, but a lot less than volume knob at impractical placements.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Guitars with flatmount bridges suck.
Every time I see you posting this reminds me of a guitar that's been sitting around for ages around here and maybe it's your thing. Not sure how good is the price as I'm unfamiliar with these:

And this one as well:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Every time I see you posting this reminds me of a guitar that's been sitting around for ages around here and maybe it's your thing. Not sure how good is the price as I'm unfamiliar with these:

And this one as well:

For Europe - where these are rarer - the pricing isn't bad. I don't do crackles, but the other one is cool.

')