Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Everything should have gold hardware

Leaving the stock screw collar arm on a Floyd is like driving a sports car in first gear... with the handbrake on

Mankind has advanced beyond the need for push-pull pots

Mankind has advanced beyond the need for truss rod covers

Mankind has NOT advanced beyond the need for pickup rings

Guitar weight doesn't matter until you're doing vocals, in which case for the love of God and your audience play something light

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Probably not an "unpopular" opinion per se, but in the current guitar landscape where there are so many different scale lengths I can't understand why there aren't more string manufacturers doing "in between" string sets. I'd probably use 9.5s in more of my guitars if there were more choices available. Building custom sets with single strings gets expensive quickly, and if you use coated strings you're out of luck.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
SSO: "Strats and LPs with chunky heels are stupid. You can't play above 12th fret."

Literally every neoclassical shredder ever:

giphy.gif

Buckethead: "Don't forget about me!"

buckethead-buckethead-unicorn.gif

Me: "Why do you need the upper fret access?"

SSO:

djent-metal.gif

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
SSO: "Strats and LPs with chunky heels are stupid. You can't play above 12th fret."

Literally every neoclassical shredder ever:

giphy.gif

Buckethead: "Don't forget about me!"

buckethead-buckethead-unicorn.gif

Me: "Why do you need the upper fret access?"

SSO:

djent-metal.gif

Historically, there have been amazing performers in all areas with subpar equipment. That doesn't mean the equipment shouldn't improve. :shrug:

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
The snow reflection makes me wish that was actually part of the finish.
this is the unpopular opinions thread, not the awesome opinions thread.
I find that on "fast" guitars, they look "slow"

View attachment 141512
This is a take I can get behind. Good thing I don't play fast.
Everything should have gold hardware

Leaving the stock screw collar arm on a Floyd is like driving a sports car in first gear... with the handbrake on

Mankind has advanced beyond the need for push-pull pots

Mankind has advanced beyond the need for truss rod covers

Mankind has NOT advanced beyond the need for pickup rings

Guitar weight doesn't matter until you're doing vocals, in which case for the love of God and your audience play something light
What a rollercoaster post. At first I was like 😡 then I was like 🤩 now I'm like 🥵

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Historically, there have been amazing performers in all areas with subpar equipment. That doesn't mean the equipment shouldn't improve. :shrug:

"Improve"

Not trying to be a richard here... but one person's idea of "improving" upon a design may not be another's. I don't have any issue soloing on LPs and Strats. 9" radius or flat, heel shape, chunky or thin necks, etc. doesn't bother me.

I prefer 24.75 with 9s and in E-flat because I bend a lot *, but I also have plenty of fav guitars that are 25.5 so it doesn't bother me that much. I also prefer 22 frets (because there isn't much that requires the last two frets that I can't achieve by moving a string up, and the last two on the high E I think sound better with a full bend and vibrato anyways). So my idea of "improving" would be going from 24 to 22 frets and the shorter radius -- something many on here would hate. YMMV.

[*E-flat or Drop-C# also sounds better to my pedestrian ears than E]

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
"Improve"

Not trying to be a richard here... but one person's idea of "improving" upon a design may not be another's. I don't have any issue soloing on LPs and Strats. 9" radius or flat, heel shape, chunky or thin necks, etc. doesn't bother me.

I prefer 24.75 with 9s and in E-flat because I bend a lot *, but I also have plenty of fav guitars that are 25.5 so it doesn't bother me that much. I also prefer 22 frets (because there isn't much that requires the last two frets that I can't achieve by moving a string up, and the last two on the high E I think sound better with a full bend and vibrato anyways). So my idea of "improving" would be going from 24 to 22 frets and the shorter radius -- something many on here would hate. YMMV.

[*E-flat or Drop-C# also sounds better to my pedestrian ears than E]

But we come circles to the same thing. Radius, fret sizes, neck profiles. Different strokes for different folks. Very different playing experiences and what can be better for one, can be worse for another.

Now. What exactly are the advantages of a neck joint with poor fret access? You might not care if you don't play up there, or you like other aspects of the guitar so much that you don't care. Fine. But what about its advantages over a better design?

So far I have heard zero convincing reasons. I don't like pickup rings, but besides aesthetics they're more practical than the alternatives, so there's logic on preferring them.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
But we come circles to the same thing. Radius, fret sizes, neck profiles. Different strokes for different folks. Very different playing experiences and what can be better for one, can be worse for another.

Now. What exactly are the advantages of a neck joint with poor fret access? You might not care if you don't play up there, or you like other aspects of the guitar so much that you don't care. Fine. But what about its advantages over a better design?

So far I have heard zero convincing reasons. I don't like pickup rings, but besides aesthetics they're more practical than the alternatives, so there's logic on preferring them.

Because it's like changing out a split rear window on a '63 Corvette. No one will argue that there is any advantage to having it, only negatives such as poorer visibility. But who says let's change it? *

Besides, the point I was making earlier is that there are tons of "Strats" with modified neck heels. You can also buy set-neck / neckthru "Strats". So why does Fender need to change out their vintage spec Strats? Which btw outsell all modified "improved" Strats.

Furthermore, I'd argue that if you list two identical Strats - one with and one without the modern neck joint, the one without that is vintage spec will outsell the "improved" one by a lot.

[* I get that modern Corvettes don't have this, but there's also a reason why vintage Corvettes outsell new ones and sell for more money]

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Because it's like changing out a split rear window on a '63 Corvette. No one will argue that there is any advantage to having it, only negatives such as poorer visibility. But who says let's change it?
Do they still sell brand new '63 spec'd Corvettes? If so we're referring to a collector's niche than a regular car production line.

Besides, the point I was making earlier is that there are tons of "Strats" with modified neck heels. You can also buy set-neck / neckthru "Strats". So why does Fender need to change out their vintage spec Strats? Which btw outsell all modified "improved" Strats.

Furthermore, I'd argue that if you list two identical Strats - one with and one without the modern neck joint, the one without that is vintage spec will outsell the "improved" one by a lot.

[* I get that modern Corvettes don't have this, but there's also a reason why vintage Corvettes outsell new ones and sell for more money]

Oh. I don't doubt that. I'm 120% positive that would be the case. Which is exactly the point. My point all along was why people prefer an older, objectively worse design with zero advantages over new designs? And the answer is again, the same. Because it's a purists' sin to alter the aesthetics of "a classic".

Which is fine. It's the attitude of mocking others and the "work on your technique br0" or "this guy totally ripped on a strat" (which I'd dare to try Rusty Cooley's stuff on) comments what I find amusing. Kinda similar to the "yo bro do you ever work out?" if you don't like heavy guitars. :shrug:

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In no order, my replies to this thread:
Disagree
Allow
Ok.....
Disagree
Agree
Agree
A hard cheese if I had to