Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
As far as looks, I dont really care if they have pickup rings or not, but I will say, direct mount is a much bigger pain in the ass to deal with.

Depends. If they're mounted with threaded inserts, they're the same ease of use as rings. I'm hoping more companies gravitate there instead of just pounding screws into the wood.

Shask

Reaction score
Depends. If they're mounted with threaded inserts, they're the same ease of use as rings. I'm hoping more companies gravitate there instead of just pounding screws into the wood.
Yeah, the threaded inserts do help a ton. However, I still think dealing with the foam and springs and such to get them sitting straight and not tilted is a bigger pain than pickup rings.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the threaded inserts do help a ton. However, I still think dealing with the foam and springs and such to get them sitting straight and not tilted is a bigger pain than pickup rings.

Totally fair assessment.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't recall if I posted this unpopular opinion yet but

Nickel Frets > Stainless Steel.

I prefer feeling a hint of drag. SS are too slippery for me.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The types of venues that people who care about fret materials so much play:

IMG_3778.jpeg
IMG_3777.jpeg
IMG_3776.jpeg

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Even if I had a living room that nice, I'd still have a sore hand for about 3 days after the level, crown, and polish.

METÖL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
My main issue with ss frets relates to how short my fingers are. I have bear paw hands that make big fists but my fingers are kinda short. So on guitars with scales over 24.75", hitting the top notes of sweep arpeggios are not always precisely dead-on depending upon where i am on the neck. I can't get a perfect hammer on/pull-off on it- I have to come In at a slight angle to fret the note well. So when the fret is stainless steel and buffed to a mirror shine, I will often pull the string slightly off the board because of the slickness. Wide necks with narrow string spacing is really helpful to me- LTD seems to leave some good real estate on the necks for instance.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
It's not a big difference, I really can't see it being so critical one way or the other for reasons of taste. I have bear paw hands and get by with either, though slick new strings give me the slip now and then. All that said, I prefer stainless and everyone else is wrong.

')