Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Styx gets a pass for being the worst band in rock because Renegade slaps AND doesn't have DeYoung on vocals

Renegade fucks. The guitar solo on that song blew my mind as a kid.
Renegade was my favorite song on the local classic rock station when I was like 12. I would make "mix" tapes by recording off the radio when a song I liked came on, and Renegade was on each one at least twice.

SlowTopic539

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Renegade was my favorite song on the local classic rock station when I was like 12. I would make "mix" tapes by recording off the radio when a song I liked came on, and Renegade was on each one at least twice.
the local classic rock station in my area is so fire. it's one of the two stations i have playing when i actually use the radio.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Nickelback! :lol:

Really. It's a band globally hated for being commercial butt rock but damn, they're like Dream Theater compared to the shit the radio puts out here. Take a listen if you dare:

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like Nickelback! :lol:

Really. It's a band globally hated for being commercial butt rock but damn, they're like Dream Theater compared to the shit the radio puts out here. Take a listen if you dare:

Don't love 'em, don't hate 'em. This song fucks though:

The benchmark for Dual Rec tones imo.

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
Styx gets a pass for being the worst band in rock because Renegade slaps AND doesn't have DeYoung on vocals
To be fair, most of the rest of the group hated Dennis De Young, who was responsible for their worst songwriting atrocities. And Tommy Shaw was a decent guitarist for his day.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Pff Styx is dope

I'm on board with Nirvana being trash though.

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't love 'em, don't hate 'em. This song fucks though:

The benchmark for Dual Rec tones imo.

If I ever heard something like this on the readio I would completely freak out in awe. You guys don't know what you have! :lol:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I liked Nickelback when I was a kid, but they're so symbolic of the commercialization of rock that it's hard to separate that from the music. I don't resent them on some weird visceral level like some folks seem to, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to it anymore.

A while back, someone told me I should watch their documentary thingie on Netflix because it "explains" how they became the butt of jokes and "the most hated band" just as a result of a misunderstanding at the label, and it was all just because they were on a metal label for a while. Totally not their fault at all! Just wrong place at the wrong time! They're actually just swell!

So I watched the documentary, and this is kinda what they put forward, but then they brush off any actual criticism in favor of painting a picture of these nice down-to-earth boots on the ground nice ol' country boys who are the victims of all the worlds meanies, taking absolutely zero ownership of their own career decisions. It's somewhere between blatant pr spin and rock-star brain, and I just can't muster the sympathy. The whole thing is a big ad - it's made by their own production company, what exactly else is supposed to be taken as? Conveniently released in the middle of a tour! With movie star cameos and everything! Cross promotion! I'm pretty sure I saw a bunch of influencers in the crowd shots too, which felt very.... blatant?

I guess it was exactly what you'd expect a Nickelback movie to be.

')