Unslanting / converting multiscale pickups to straight

• Thread starter ProgLog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ProgLog

Reaction score
I have 2 sets of Bare Knuckle humbuckers I'm looking to sell, but they are not only the 10 degree multiscale slant, but also left handed = zero resale value.

So I'm wondering if a tech / luthier would be able to unslant these for me?
I asked BKP and they offered a price that was way too much for me.

I have read about slanting normal pickups to fit multiscales, but can't find any info on doing the reverse.
But I would assume the process would be even simpler given the fact that I am removing the custom slanted baseplates for regular straight ones?
I may have already asnwered my own question, but I want to be sure. Thanks guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Measure twice / trice, buy one time... do make sure both coils have the same pole spacing and that this pole spacing matches the string spacing of a regular guitar. IF the baseplate is flat and made of a single material like a sheet of metal, you can eventually flip it and make the pickup be right handed...?

It may not be worthy of such a fuss if the pickups' poles don't match the strings spacing found on guitars....

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score

A frequent complaint with BKP. Lack of craftsmanship, however, is not. You're asking them to entirely rebuild the pickups. In most business they'll charge you more than the original purchase price because it's a bigger one-off off-floor job.

You'll have to remove the back plate, cut a new back plate, rotate all the poles, and repot. Good luck, have fun.

lewis

Reaction score
A frequent complaint with BKP. Lack of craftsmanship, however, is not. You're asking them to entirely rebuild the pickups. In most business they'll charge you more than the original purchase price because it's a bigger one-off off-floor job.

You'll have to remove the back plate, cut a new back plate, rotate all the poles, and repot. Good luck, have fun.
Absolutely this and is also another reason I use covered actives.

Far easier to make work on multi scale or just about any applications

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I have 2 sets of Bare Knuckle humbuckers I'm looking to sell, but they are not only the 10 degree multiscale slant, but also left handed = zero resale value.

So I'm wondering if a tech / luthier would be able to unslant these for me?

I have read about slanting normal pickups to fit multiscales, but can't find any info on doing the reverse.
But I would assume the process would be even simpler given the fact that I am removing the custom slanted baseplates for regular straight ones?
I may have already asnwered my own question, but I want to be sure. Thanks guys!
You're left handed, and have a spare set you want to sell? Or you purchased a set you cannot use?

ProgLog

Reaction score

I completely understand. I was wondering how much extra work would be required and if a luthier would be able to do it, as I would really be happy to pay for the service if it was for a set of pickups I would be intending to use, rather than 4 whole humbuckers with a fee for each one (only to gain any potential resale value as they're so personalised they currrently aren't)