Unsuccessfully trying to hook up game console, DVD surround, & cable box...

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Play Station/ standard cable box/ Sony DVD Home Theatre System ( DAV-DZ175)

I can get the TV/ cable to work and I can get the game console to work but I can't get the DVD player to work. It seems that it's because I had to remove the green coded lead ( on the TV it goes to the "Y video" connector from the DVD player "Y") in order to plug in the yellow lead from the game console. I want to be able to switch between TV/ cable, game console, and DVD without reaching behind the TV to connect/ disconnect the green and yellow leads.

What am I missing or doing wrong? Yes... I'm dumb but could anyone help a brother out here? Thanks in advance.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
How many inputs on your TV?

Ideally, you'd want your sound system to handle all the inputs, and just send the picture out to the TV. But, I had a look at the manual of the DVD theatre thing and it only has 1 audio input and no video.

Use whatever hookup you need for the console on the TV. Use one of the HDMI inputs for the DVD player. I've probably got this all wrong, but that's the best I can think of with the info given.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I think that one of the issues I'm facing is that it's an old console ( PS II) and it's a newer TV. There's 5 inputs on the TV... 3 I'm using for the PS II and 2 that I'm using for the DVD player. It seems that I'm "missing" an input to connect the Y lead for the DVD player.

Even if you're wrong, you're trying to help and I appreciate that greatly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
On the side of the TV there is:

AUDIO INPUT R/ AUDIO INPUT L
VIDEO INPUT Y/ VIDEO INPUT Pb/ VIDEO INPUT Pr

The audio input R & L and the video input Y is connected to the game console. The video input Pb & Pr are connected to the DVD player. Seems that we are "short" one video input for the DVD player picture. DVD player is producing sound but no picture.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the solution would be a "splitter" that would connect to the video input "Y" with two leads that would connect both devices?

AirForbes1

Reaction score

The audio input R & L and the video input Y is connected to the game console. The video input Pb & Pr are connected to the DVD player. Seems that we are "short" one video input for the DVD player picture. DVD player is producing sound but no picture.

Yeah, you're short on inputs. I'm surprised you don't have an HDMI input on the TV.

What do you have on the back of the TV? I think you're short 2 inputs. The DVD is always going to produce sound because it's combo'ed with the sound system.

That R - L - Y - Pb - Pr is actually only 1 input. The audio is the R/L, The other 3 are for the picture. Either the Y (RCA), or using the Y+Pb+Pr together (component). in either case, the audio is R/L and it's all 1 input.

If you have photos of the back, that would help. Or the model and I can look it up.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
The model of the TV is the Sanyo FW42D25T and it does have HDMI inputs... 3 of them actually. Are you saying that I could use an HDMI cable running from the game console to the TV? I have one of those but didn't even think to try to use it. It came with a different game console that I'm not using atm.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
The model of the TV is the Sanyo FW42D25T and it does have HDMI inputs... 3 of them actually. Are you saying that I could use an HDMI cable running from the game console to the TV? I have one of those but didn't even think to try to use it. It came with a different game console that I'm not using atm.

Yup. if you have 3 HDMI inputs and a composite/RCA at the side you're good.

HDMI from everything to your TV. Use the input selector to pick what you want.
If you want surround sound for either your cable box or PS you could send the sound out to your DVD player (it seems to have 1 audio input). If you can't be assed with that, just hook everything up with HDMI to your TV.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I am really impressed this was sorted out in 1 day by 2 people over the internet. Each component in a home theater system is “the most important part” which is why you get 5 remotes and 4 manuals to connect 3 components. That part is not hard. Figuring out why nothing works is where the frustration and anger begins to rise. :coffee:

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Yeah... I feel really dumb but I just don't mess with this kinda stuff anymore and successfully getting all three devices to work together was quite perplexing. I did discover after the invaluable assistance of AirForbes1, that what I'm in need of is a PS2 to HDMI converter ( or RCA to HDMI AV to HDMI). I believe that either will work and both are very inexpensive on Amazon. I guess sometimes it just helps to have someone to lead you in the right direction. With his help, I was able to troubleshoot much more efficiently and it all started to click. I had gotten to the point of just plugging/ unplugging arbitrarily to see what would happen next... and that rarely works out well lol.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
Yeah... I feel really dumb but I just don't mess with this kinda stuff anymore and successfully getting all three devices to work together was quite perplexing. I did discover after the invaluable assistance of AirForbes1, that what I'm in need of is a PS2 to HDMI converter ( or RCA to HDMI AV to HDMI). I believe that either will work and both are very inexpensive on Amazon. I guess sometimes it just helps to have someone to lead you in the right direction. With his help, I was able to troubleshoot much more efficiently and it all started to click. I had gotten to the point of just plugging/ unplugging arbitrarily to see what would happen next... and that rarely works out well lol.

I didn't know what PS you had. Hook that PS2 up to the RCA input (R/L/Y) at the side of the TV. The others devices to the HDMI inputs at the back. You don't need any converters.

Everyone has their thing. I can't play for shit, I don't know which Freyette amp is the tightest, couldn't tell you the difference between Uberschall models or which speakers you should put in your 2x12. But, I know how to hook up an entertainment system. This is my opportunity to help someone out like many people have done for me.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
The stereo system is already taking up residence in all of those ports. I'm not looking at it right now but there's a combination of red/ blue/ white/ green leads taking up those inputs. As of right now, I can swap the green and yellow in order to switch back and forth from the dvd player to the game console but that's so far the only way that I've found to do it. I'll take another look when I'm back home tonight but it seems that I'm short one input.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I'm not looking at it right now but I thought that there was a reason why it wasn't that simplistic. I just have to look at it again when I get home later. Thanks again and I'll post up what's what.

wankerness

Reaction score
It sounds to me, from the description, that maybe the TV only has the component video inputs and not a simple Yellow one. I haven't messed with those in years, though, so I don't know if the Green one works as either a yellow or the Green if you've got component inputs.

If I'm right then he'd either need component video plug for his PS2 or the aforementioned HDMI converter.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
He's got an RCA input on the side of his TV.

Component looks better, but I'm just trying to get him hooked up.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Okay... please don't laugh... or do! I know it's primitive but this is where I'm at. I drew it out b/c I can't get a good pic from behind the entertainment ctr.

If you notice the "Y" green line/ cable... that's the one that I'm needing to plug into the TV in order to use the dvd player. I unplug the green cable and plug in the yellow cable coming from the PS2's AV connector when I want to use the PS2. That's the only way that I'm able to get this mess to work right now.

What I found on Amazon that would hopefully correct this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hdv-g300-Ps2...ter-W-I2n4/1085546349?iid=122406473808&chn=ps

or this one:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...33i10k1.0.FsxvrRHEll8#spd=3854809869506047053

AirForbes1

Reaction score
Okay... please don't laugh... or do! I know it's primitive but this is where I'm at. I drew it out b/c I can't get a good pic from behind the entertainment ctr.

If you notice the "Y" green line/ cable... that's the one that I'm needing to plug into the TV in order to use the dvd player. I unplug the green cable and plug in the yellow cable coming from the PS2's AV connector when I want to use the PS2. That's the only way that I'm able to get this mess to work right now.

What I found on Amazon that would hopefully correct this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hdv-g300-Ps2...ter-W-I2n4/1085546349?iid=122406473808&chn=ps

or this one:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...33i10k1.0.FsxvrRHEll8#spd=3854809869506047053

The drawing is pretty good. It's what I thought you had from looking at the manuals for your gear. I looked up your models and I thought I saw that your DVD player had an HDMI out port. Unless I got the model wrong. Use that to go to another HDMI slot on your TV.

If it does not, then yes, you'll need some sort of adaptor.