Unsure on choosing a daw for Mac?

• Thread starter Taylord
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Taylord

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this question gets asked alot, but I would like to hear your guy's opinions. I just recently got a macbook and I use Reaper with S2.0 and some stillwell plugins. I know that picking a Daw is mostly just preference, but I would like access to synths, pianos, and other stuff like that, and it seems that it would make sense to go ahead and upgrade as a whole then buying a bunch of extra plugins. I've read little tidbits of stuff around: Cubase doesn't run very well on OS, Logic is confusing, and Protools doesn't have much as far as virtual instruments. I've also heard alot of good about reason, but I didn't know if it might not run as well as on a PC. Again, I know much of this could just be opinion but I am unsure of what direction to go in, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this question gets asked alot, but I would like to hear your guy's opinions. I just recently got a macbook and I use Reaper with S2.0 and some stillwell plugins. I know that picking a Daw is mostly just preference, but I would like access to synths, pianos, and other stuff like that, and it seems that it would make sense to go ahead and upgrade as a whole then buying a bunch of extra plugins. I've read little tidbits of stuff around: Cubase doesn't run very well on OS, Logic is confusing, and Protools doesn't have much as far as virtual instruments. I've also heard alot of good about reason, but I didn't know if it might not run as well as on a PC. Again, I know much of this could just be opinion but I am unsure of what direction to go in, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Depends what your after, there are plenty of RTAS or RE-wire synths, guitar plugins etc.. Pro tools in my experience is easy to use and very effective.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Logic. If I was ever going to buy a Mac, Logic would be the sole reason. It was the 1st daw I ever used, and I didn't find it confusing in the least.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I have a Mac and use Pro Tools and am very happy with it. However, it took me a long time to get used to and I don't use virtual instruments or MIDI. I have heard Logic is more intuitive for "musicians" where as Pro Tools is more intuitive to "recording engineers." I haven't used Logic but I imagine it is easier to use. But if I'm not mistaken, Logic is almost exclusively for recording music where as Pro Tools is for audio recording which covers everything from music to film to scientific research.

The Grief Hole

Reaction score
For the sybth side of things I use reason. I like being able to play about with the samplers and there is a hell of lot to play with. It integrates seamlessly into my daw too, so there are no headaches there.

Elchimpy

Reaction score
Ive got studio one and logic on my MBP and mini. They are both great, but i find myself in logic more than anything, it just works when i need it to.

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
Logic isnt confusing so much as it is just huge. Its really just a big brother of Garageband, and that thing is a cakewalk...

Overtone

Reaction score
Logic! There is so much info out there on Logic. Protools wouldn't be bad either, but as you said, Logic has more to offer in terms of built in instruments. There are some 'go to" things I use on most of my projects and then when I'm finishing up the tracks I might try to make a better sounding one in Absysnth or Kontakt, but for just getting my ideas down the built in stuff is plenty expressive and can be fine tuned.

Deaththrash

Silly faces
Reaction score
I use Reaper at home for my own stuff, Logic Pro at college for composition and Pro Tools in the studio. If you like Reaper, there's really no point in upgrading. While I find that Reaper has some cut corners, and some things are hidden away (Reaper's quantizer being a thing that really annoyed me, it's fiddly), it's a solid DAW. It has its own EQ, compressors, etc and they're pretty solid. What else do you need for $60, or whatever it is nowadays.

Logic Pro is really great for composition and I'd use it at home, but 1) It's expensive and 2) I use a Windows machine at home. The inbuilt samples aren't fantastic, but plugins fix that. I'd never recommend using stock samples anyway. I compose all of my college work in Logic Pro and I like it a lot. Highly regarded and highly recommended.

Pro Tools is the daddy of tracking software, but for home use it's overkill. It's big and it's just unnecessary. Unless you're gonna' be tracking 10 channels simultaneously, there's really no need.

If your Reaper isn't up to date, just buy a new license and with the money you'll save over buying Logic, purchase IK's Sampletank 2.0. For home use, that's all you'll really need, in my opinion.

glp1996

Oceans & Odysseys
Reaction score
Logic isnt confusing so much as it is just huge. Its really just a big brother of Garageband, and that thing is a cakewalk...

^^Couldn't have said it better myself. Logic is pretty straight forward theres just so much you can do with it.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, another vote for Logic from me. Is Logic Express still made? That's a much cheaper alternative. And then if you get an Apogee Mono or Duet it's basically plug and play. I used to use Cubase then switched over to Logic. Logic is at LEAST as easy as Cubase, and with the Duet on there recording audio tracks was way easier.

kerouac

Weird Musical Dildo
Reaction score
Absolutely Logic, especially for MIDI work. I switched from Sonar (PE8) to Logic several years ago and while it was an adjustment at first, I can no work a lot faster. Love the mixer window and how it handles Auxes. A lot of great sounding samples. Hyper Editor is awesome for MIDI work.

Taylord

Reaction score
That gives me alot to think about, but it sounds like I should really consider logic. Thanks again guys!

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Studio One

Try the demo, see if you like it. The workflow is fantastic :)

This was going to be my suggestion. This host has matured quite a bit in the last year and is really a pleasure to use. ( though I've REALLY gotten into live as my main workhorse in the last couple of months!)

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I currently use Logic. For a while I was thinking about switching to ProTools. Instead, I started learning how to be more efficient in Logic, and learn more about my plugins. Now that I've found a workflow that works for me, I've decided to stay with logic.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
+1 for Logic.

Been using Logic Pro 9 + several plugins for the past year to write/record/mix,

I was lost at first but that kinda comes with the territory, my only experience was with Fruity Loops before that, which didn't help a whole hell of a lot, but it didn't take long to figure out.

My advice, get Logic, but make sure your computer specs are up to snuff to run it according to Logics system requirements first, then dive in head first like I did and ask questions along the way as needed.

I asked my coworker who's using Logic to make Drum n Bass and Dubstep if I can kind of shadow him around when he's doing his thing, that helped so try doing something like that. Otherwise YouTube is your best friend.

Edit: I'm running Logic on an iMac w/ OS X 10.6.8. Processor is a 3.06 GHz Intel Duo Core 2, 4Gb's of Ram. Could use a better processor and/or more Ram because mine crashes every now and then.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I see a lot of guys switching over from Logic to Studio One and they don't look back. ;)

S1 is extremely stable from my experience. And, your productivity will most likely go up because the workflow is quite superb and easy. I have never felt "lost" or "confused" inside Studio One. Things are pretty easy to achieve and it comes with a lot of amazing presets to get you started with mixing / mastering if you have no clue what to do.

Seriously, try the demo.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I've toyed with Studio One a couple times now and never really gelled with it. It's a great program, but it is solidly anchored in live recording.

')