Unusual Instrument Appreciation

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I'm putting this here to draw attention to unusual or non-Western instruments that most might not know about.

Bombard

A beautiful oboe used in Breton music. Check out the chanter on those pipes, too. By the way, bombards are loud as hell.

Tárogató

Basically a clarinet. Found in Hungary and Romania. As you can hear, it's a bit more nasal than the clarinet (often finding comparison with English horn). A very haunting sound.

Ney

A Middle-Eastern rim-blown flute made of cane. There are a few variations. The Turkish ney has a mouthpiece, called a "boşpare", that supposedly makes the damn thing easier to get a sound out of, but the instrument in general is difficult to play. The classical embouchure makes it look like you'd develop neck and shoulder problems, particularly on the lower pitched ones.

Psaltery

An ancient plucked zither instrument that has gone through many incarnations. These things aren't very loud, but they have such a beautiful timbre. You can't quite get that ringing with a string instrument that needs to be stopped to change pitch.

Bowed psaltery

A twentieth-century instrument that isn't a true psaltery. For some reason, they seem to be popular in American folk music. A luminous sound, but the technique required seems to make true legato impossible with one-bow playing. The strings can also be plucked, as with the true psaltery, but string spacing is narrow. The timbre is unique, since it is soft and the strings are so thin and the instrument continues to resonate long after a note is sounded. I find that to be a double-edged sword, since it kind of limits the ensemble possibilities of the bowed psaltery.

Gusli

A Russian psaltery.

Carillon

A really noisy instrument to play. Carillons are those things in bell towers: an array of chromatically tuned bronze bells spanning at least two octaves, controlled by a keyboard that you strike with your fists. Jacob van Eyck, a blind carilloneur and bellmaker who lived in the Netherlands during the 17th century, had a mini carillon built so he could teach students at his home. Imagine having to pack up to go to a gig.

Gudulka

A fiddle found in Bulgaria, with variations in the Baltic region, as well as the rest of Eastern Europe. As you can see, it looks different from the Western violin and is played a bit differently too. Ah, the music of my people. Cheesy. Strange. Surprisingly metal?

Anyway, please contribute if you know any cool instruments that we don't see a lot of.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I've always thought the cimbalom was super cool.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Good thread! Learning some new instruments! Luckily they are exotic enough not to trigger GAS. :)

død

Reaction score
The Ondes Martenot.

SO AWESOME!

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Kalimba

It's an evolution of an african instrument named Mbira.Exists in many variations and tunings.I have a treble one myself,but I don't play that ofter because it is best played with thumb fingernails in both hands.Alaska piks are a solution,but I got overjealous with filing mine to get them to shape and now I have to get new ones :lol:

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
èrhú - fingerboardless Chinese two-string fiddle with the bow trapped between the strings. I have one, need to get the bridge fixed and put some new strings on it because it's fun as hell to play.

Does a surprisingly good horse impression around 2:35.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Some nice posts here. I was hoping somebody would mention the Stroh violin.

Here is Lalo Izquierdo demonstrating some Afro-Peruvian percussion instruments. I'll pick out a few of the more unique ones.

0:45 - Parihuela, wood slats supported by a stretcher.

1:45 - Cajita, a box drum that has a surprising range of timbres thanks to a lid on the top and many different striking surfaces.

2:08 - Quijada, a donkey's jawbone that has had the teeth loosened and cleaned so that it may be treated as a scraped instrument as well as a sort of vibraslap/rattle instrument.*

2:33 - Cajon, the cajita's big brother. A box drum that was originally made from shipping crates during the time of slavery in Spanish colonial South America. Snares or guitar strings may be attached to the back of the striking surface to get a buzzy snare drum sound, and there are many other sounds (such as bass drum) that can be had by striking the other parts of the instrument.

* Compare the buzzing sound of the struck quijada with the kalimba in Deadnightshade's post. Many instruments of southern African origin employ vibrating bits to create a buzzy sound that is associated with spirits. On a thumb piano, there may be beads, cowries, or bottle caps attached to vibrate with the instrument. The resonator for the mbira, known as a deze, will also have beads, shells, or caps affixed to it. In my African music ensemble, we play Zimbabwean marimbas (well, they're built by a guy in Oregon) that have a bit of plastic on the resonators to create a buzzy sound. Sort of like a built-in distortion pedal. In many musical cultures, this buzzy effect has played a part in the history somewhere. One of the more primitive uses is to distort the human voice, such as in early examples of horns, kazoos, and jaw harps. Here is an instrument from Lesotho that doesn't really have a counterpart in the Western world:

Lesiba

The lesiba is like a cross between a flute and a kazoo, that uses a string in order to create the buzz. Listen to how the player is manipulating the overtone series.

There are buzzy instruments in Western music history, too. During the Renaissance, that buzzy sound was very popular.

Crumhorn consort!

I like his puffy collar. There are other capped reed instruments from the Renaissance that have a similar sound, such as the rauschpfeife (a capped shawm) and the kelhorn. I'm having difficulty finding a good example of these things in action, but the kelhorn itself is weird enough that you should get a kick out of its construction:

Kelhorns-ABS-Wood.jpg

From here: http://www.susato.com/konakart/Kelhorns/1_151_-1_21.do

The channel is convoluted to allow a lower pitch without having to lug around a pipe that is taller than you. The fingering is the same as the recorder, interestingly enough. Here is a modern DIY demonstration of an efficient use of space to make a bass instrument:

Mr. Curly

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Desecrated used to post a number of threads like this. I'll have to see if I can find them.

Ray

guitareben

Reaction score
Pipa. Not as unknown or crazy as some of the instruments here, but a fantastic instrument. Has a very identifiable 'Chinese'/'eastern' sound.

Guzheng. I love the sound of a Guzheng. :D

Liu Fang again :D

Latest posts

')