Unusual Recurring Themes in Music Videos

• Thread starter Wrecklyss
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
black metal and forests go together like ... well black metal and poor production

It probably helps that shooting in the woods is free... and I suppose the same is the case for abandoned warehouses, if you can evade security and squatting hobos :lol:

erotophonophilia

Reaction score
Slow motion footage of a single string or cymbal vibrating, that doesn't fit in with the timing of the song. It bugs the shit out of me.

potatohead

Reaction score
Slow motion footage of a single string or cymbal vibrating, that doesn't fit in with the timing of the song. It bugs the shit out of me.

I hate that. The song is in the chorus or something and the guitarist is soloing away in the background :noplease:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Agreed. Composure by August Burns Red and Say Goodbye by I Killed The Prom Queen we're almost identical videos. Except IKTPQ had a chick running in theirs. Desert/field videos will never end!

Don't forget Job For A Cowboy's "Entombment of a Machine" video, same thing with dust flying off the cymbals.

My vote for common themes:

Men looking angry, playing guitar with a face that says "I'm going to punch you".

Metal videos can be a bit lame and cheesy when you think about it, especially the more seriously they take themselves. My favourite metal video of all time is probably Revocation's "The grip tightens", it's such a heavy, aggressive song but when you see the video you can tell the band aren't being po-faced and taking themselves too seriously.

redstone

Reaction score
Blood, bugs, needles, drugs. (it'd make a fantastic chorus)

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Something recorded at half speed (like walking slowmotion) and then edited double speed to get creepy movement. Also maggots at double speed ... in dirty jars ... and ... close ups on wooden shelving units.

Elliott Jeffries

Reaction score
The one that annoys me is where everyone looks too serious. Like the message is, "I know this is only a music video, but somehow I need to make it look important." Or the only thing they have to say is "take me seriously, this song took a lot of work."

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
One of the things that annoy me the most is fan crowds in videos. It is so ridiculous when they stage anything from 50-50.000 people standing around any band/artist behaving like pure gods are standing before them digging the shit out of their music. For gods sake it is staged, you put them there yourselves, in fact, you paid money for people to act like you're awesome in your own video, how pathetic is that? :lol: It would range anywhere from a massive live crowd to a vocalist or a small group of people sucking up to a rap artist.

Another annoying thing is when they zoom in to fretboard-zoom-view (half an inch from the head staring down the fretboard) on a guitarist when he is playing like.. nothing interesting at all. Usually the strings are vibrating as if Godzilla is walking around downstairs too. Or when they film a musician with the intention of impressing people but the musician is doing the simplest thing, like hitting the base drum twice in a row or something, then when the drum solo comes they film the base player the entire duration instead and you just go wtf who directed this, fire him. out of a cannon. into the sun :lol:

Both common and very annoying. I love the abandoned warehouse point someone else made too :lol:

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Bands performing in MMA rings, highschool gyms or hallways, football fields/sporting events.

A classic one from the 80's was rockbands kicking down doors at rich peoples or "squares" homes and performing there with mixed results. Sometimes, the squares are just disgusted, but often they end up being won over by the power of rock.

')