Unwanted harmonics at 10-12th frets on high E... help!

• Thread starter stringzoffury
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stringzoffury

Reaction score
Did the tech use a fret-rocker to see if there was a high fret?

I'm not sure if he used a fret rocker. He seemed to think it was an overtone that was just coming from the guitar naturally.

Does it happen with other pickups than the bridge?

To me it sounds also like a high fret

Yeah it happens on the neck pickup too.

I've owned this guitar since 2012 and don't recall having this issue before. It's been played relatively lightly. Is it possible for a fret to "become" high on it's own without being that way straight out of the factory?

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I'm not sure if he used a fret rocker. He seemed to think it was an overtone that was just coming from the guitar naturally.

I've owned this guitar since 2012 and don't recall having this issue before. It's been played relatively lightly. Is it possible for a fret to "become" high on it's own without being that way straight out of the factory?

Hmm. I have a guitar with a similar issue that I'm having a tech look at actually, lol. I'll see what my tech comes up with and if I remember I'll post here.

Frets can become high at any time, often due to changes in climate, where the fretboard expands and contracts where as it moves it pushes a fret upwards. It can happen on any guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score

The issue I was having with my guitar (sounds similar to yours) seems to have been fixed by (in my case) lowering the tailpiece closer to the body. I haven't received my guitar back yet from the tech so I can't confirm this for sure, but the tech says the issue seems to have gone away after lowering the tailpiece.

I think your guitar has a ToM bridge, but does it have a tailpiece? If so, try lowering (or raising it if its already down as low as it can go) to see if that helps at all.

stringzoffury

Reaction score
The issue I was having with my guitar (sounds similar to yours) seems to have been fixed by (in my case) lowering the tailpiece closer to the body. I haven't received my guitar back yet from the tech so I can't confirm this for sure, but the tech says the issue seems to have gone away after lowering the tailpiece.

I think your guitar has a ToM bridge, but does it have a tailpiece? If so, try lowering (or raising it if its already down as low as it can go) to see if that helps at all.

Yeah no tailpiece on mine, but I feel like it might be something bridge related. I don't see how it could be a high fret as I've raised the action super high and there is a good amount of visible clearance between the string and the higher frets when fretting the 10th-12th.