Updating And Moding A Gunslinger, Or How Can I Make $100 Guitar Better

• Thread starter XBIGJIMX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
This sort of thread should not be started until the project is finished.

I want to see the finished product SO MUCH.

Keep up the good work ,awesome little project :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XBIGJIMX

Reaction score
This sort of thread should not be started until the project is finished.

I want to see the finished product SO MUCH.

Keep up the good work ,awesome little project :D

Well at the rate it's going down i should be in clear in 2 days

XBIGJIMX

Reaction score
Ok pinks down getting ready for the final color shot. No I noticed a mistake I dot pull all the mask out for the yellow on the spring guy so I'll have to redo that.

Whats going on with the back you ask well I put a great qoute from the artist on the back which is getting the hightlight done on the next spray

All the brush work done and dryed

WELL HOLY SHIT THE THEROY WORKED!!! Pulling off the mask to put on the black lines

Now to put the white logo on which was a hell of alot harder to put on and line up with the black drop shadow than you can imagine

XBIGJIMX

Reaction score
Well threw the missing yellow down and reapplied the white to make it more solid and the orange. They went down with out a hitch. I did the drop shadow on the back type, which I did not like after doing it. So most likely I will just respray it and cover it up no harm no foul.

SO now comes the fun part peeling off the line mask.....

4 episodes of duck dynasty later they are peeled and for the most part came off well. Some of the black lifted which I expected since I did not put on an intercoat clear inbetween colors and i probley should of scuffed the original finish more. Not that big of a deal just have to go back and do some touch ups.

but all in all it turned out pretty good for never trying this concept before. Next step repair than clear, and the hardware

If you look around the clock there was some lift

the body with lines

I did not peel some of the mask casue I saw some over spray and it will be easier to fix with the mask on

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, count me in on those that thought you would either never start this or not be able to pull it off. You CLEARLY know what you're doing! Huge props for taking on such a daunting task with the right skills and equipment, and not dragging this out over years. I'm very impressed.

XBIGJIMX

Reaction score
Yeah, count me in on those that thought you would either never start this or not be able to pull it off. You CLEARLY know what you're doing! Huge props for taking on such a daunting task with the right skills and equipment, and not dragging this out over years. I'm very impressed.

Oh trust me I am all about dragging my feet, but once i get started I am good to go. In all honesty if i wouldn't have been off work because of having the stroke it probably been 6 more months to start hahah

XBIGJIMX

Reaction score
After a little break to let the paint cure & get some smaller brushes. It was time to do the touch ups for the peel up spots and and other imperfections.

I started with the head stock. Went though most of the colors. I did make some bad strokes but I just let it dry and painted over it. no big deal. So the headstock is ready for clear

BEFORE:

AFTER touch ups: Might still adjust the blue
Also I started prep for painting the Floyd. Pulled it apart so i could scuff them so the new paint sticks. Now for those who dont know. Floyd fine tuners are not designed to be removed. But they can with a little talking to ;)

XBIGJIMX

Reaction score
Ok were back and its finally warm enough to spray out side , or at least open some doors and windows. God knows 2 part clear needs some ventilation.
I hit it with 5 or 6 coats so far. I will let it cure and then wet sand to see if in needs any more.

[URL=http://s167.photobucket.com/user/XBIGJIMX/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3D4DB8D7-3EDF-41E8-9461-803788AF09B6_zpsdclh5u9f.jpg.html]
86AA1AD3-0FBA-45AD-8C57-421AB077879C_zpstoxue6bg.jpg
[/URL]

XBIGJIMX

Reaction score
The ending!!!

Wet sanding

THen some time on the buffing wheel

Then assembly!

Updated logo

shikamaru

Reaction score
fantastic work ! not my thing but the result is really nice, and it makes for a very unique guitar ! Love the yellow trem too !

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Very awesome! It doesn't look like the yellow will stay on the tuners for long, but who knows, it might give it a cool worn-in look.

')