Upgrading a dirt cheap Ibanez 7

• Thread starter Das Gitarrenwiesel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had been looking at getting a seven string for ages ... I mean part of my living is making pickups for them ... so I really ought to play one myself. :) I could have gone out and bought a multiple hundreds of pounds seven and just played it, but I'm the sort of person who likes to see how far they can take a cheap guitar with upgrades ... quite a long way it would seem!
So my usual eBay browsing turned up a bit of a bargain Just before Christmas . An Ibanez Geo 7, brand new but transit damaged.... a ding on the back of the bottom horn ... messy but not visible from the front of the guitar ... and fairly easy to 'touch in' ... £150! I went for it and in due course it arrived.
PHOTO-2023-11-03-12-38-23 1.jpg
I always make a point of playing a guitar for a while ... usually weeks before deciding what upgrades I'm going to make. First impressions were quite good ... but a negatives reared their heads quite quickly. The action was WAY too high and if I brought it down to sensible levels the saddle adjuster screws chewed up my hand when palm muting. So a neck shim was definitely on the cards. It also wasn't playing terribly in tune up the neck ... and I see that as super important with a seven where you are bouncing between high fretted and open notes a lot while riffing.
One of my other guitars is fitted with an Earvana compensated shelf nut ... and plays the most in tune across the whole instrument of any guitar I own ... so I figured I'd try an Earvana 7 string nut.
Also, while adequate (just) the tuners would get swapped for some locking ones.
So first Santa (well me actually) came up with the Earvana nut
7 string_-3.jpg

Got from my friends at Feline Guitars in Croydon ...

The poor Purpleheart fretboard was absolutely bone dry ... so after the nut fitting I was going to have to do something about that ...
7 string_-4.jpg

Off with the truss rod cover ... note plastic pots for putting bits in so as not to have them fly off onto the floor!
7 string_-6.jpg

I have a chunk of maple about six inches long and an inch thick that maeks short work of popping off nuts with a swift tap.
7 string_-7.jpg

The Earvana nuts are 48mm wide and made over height so they need a Dremel and a sanding block to trim the bottom of the nut ...so the shelf sits nicely on top of the fingerboard.
7 string_-8.jpg

7 string_-9.jpg

And very nearly there ....
7 string_-10.jpg

Can never mask too much when you use cyanoacrylate ... this one is a gel formula with a tiny bit of elasticity. Not so easy to dislodge the nut with an accidental bump as if I'd used a thin cyanoacrylate which dries brittle.
I'd also Picked up some cheap but very solid locking tuners from Six String Supplies ... easy to fit ... just dropped on with the mounting holes aligning exactly ... result!
7 string_-14.jpg

You can buy all sorts of expensive fingerboard treatments that are meant to nourish and darken/relic boards ... but I use ...
7 string_.jpg

Note cat in background :)
Yep it's a staining leather treatment (black tinted) ... but it's fabulous for boards and is less than £6.00 for a huge tub from Amazon!

Okay .... will continue the saga later :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
The good thing about purpleheart if the idea is to make it dark is that it's got less of a brown/reddish hue compared to say jatoba or even rosewood so the ebonizing is much more convincing in the end. Curious to see how yours will turn out. What will you use as sealer?

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had been looking at getting a seven string for ages ... I mean part of my living is making pickups for them ... so I really ought to play one myself. :) I could have gone out and bought a multiple hundreds of pounds seven and just played it, but I'm the sort of person who likes to see how far they can take a cheap guitar with upgrades ... quite a long way it would seem!
So my usual eBay browsing turned up a bit of a bargain Just before Christmas . An Ibanez Geo 7, brand new but transit damaged.... a ding on the back of the bottom horn ... messy but not visible from the front of the guitar ... and fairly easy to 'touch in' ... £150! I went for it and in due course it arrived.
View attachment 137193
I always make a point of playing a guitar for a while ... usually weeks before deciding what upgrades I'm going to make. First impressions were quite good ... but a negatives reared their heads quite quickly. The action was WAY too high and if I brought it down to sensible levels the saddle adjuster screws chewed up my hand when palm muting. So a neck shim was definitely on the cards. It also wasn't playing terribly in tune up the neck ... and I see that as super important with a seven where you are bouncing between high fretted and open notes a lot while riffing.
One of my other guitars is fitted with an Earvana compensated shelf nut ... and plays the most in tune across the whole instrument of any guitar I own ... so I figured I'd try an Earvana 7 string nut.
Also, while adequate (just) the tuners would get swapped for some locking ones.
So first Santa (well me actually) came up with the Earvana nut
View attachment 137195
Got from my friends at Feline Guitars in Croydon ...

The poor Purpleheart fretboard was absolutely bone dry ... so after the nut fitting I was going to have to do something about that ...
View attachment 137196
Off with the truss rod cover ... note plastic pots for putting bits in so as not to have them fly off onto the floor!
View attachment 137197
I have a chunk of maple about six inches long and an inch thick that maeks short work of popping off nuts with a swift tap.
View attachment 137198
The Earvana nuts are 48mm wide and made over height so they need a Dremel and a sanding block to trim the bottom of the nut ...so the shelf sits nicely on top of the fingerboard.
View attachment 137199

View attachment 137200
And very nearly there ....
View attachment 137201
Can never mask too much when you use cyanoacrylate ... this one is a gel formula with a tiny bit of elasticity. Not so easy to dislodge the nut with an accidental bump as if I'd used a thin cyanoacrylate which dries brittle.
I'd also Picked up some cheap but very solid locking tuners from Six String Supplies ... easy to fit ... just dropped on with the mounting holes aligning exactly ... result!
View attachment 137202
You can buy all sorts of expensive fingerboard treatments that are meant to nourish and darken/relic boards ... but I use ...
View attachment 137203
Note cat in background :)
Yep it's a staining leather treatment (black tinted) ... but it's fabulous for boards and is less than £6.00 for a huge tub from Amazon!

Okay .... will continue the saga later :cool:
And then I had to go and make a poor decision.
7 string_-15.jpg

I really liked the look of DR Black Beauties ... and the wax treatment had darkened the fingerboard pretty much to ebony ... so they'd look great ... and they did ...
7 string_-16.jpg

They are also the worst strings I have ever tried ... DR are usually good, but these are real turkeys! Firstly they are overly bright and tinny ... I mean you don't expect that from a coated string ... secondly the string tension is way low for their gauge ... and thirdly, the coating has all sorts of bumpy and rough spots along the plain strings length. I mean these things are ROUGH in places. I also found myself tuning every couple of minutes .... they were going to have to go!
Now even though I'm a pickup maker, I don't believe in changing pickups for the sake of it ... I gave the Ibanez pickups a good go, but they are basically super cheap and quite 'thin' sounding while being muddy at the same time. I know that sounds weird, but I find some super cheap pickups can do that.

Those Brits here probably know I'm the bloke behind The Blackbird pickups that Pin uses in Sikth (in his Black Machine) and lots of other designs ... so I decided to push the boat out a bit and treat this cheapie guitar to a set of my Neo-X-Breeds. These are partially Neodymium and partially ceramic at the bridge, and neodymium and alnico in the neck. Anyhoo they are fun so I scheduled building a set for myself ... makes a change :)
Here they are before being wound .... yep my clear bobbins that folks associate with me ...
7 string_-19.jpg

To be continued ....

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The good thing about purpleheart if the idea is to make it dark is that it's got less of a brown/reddish hue compared to say jatoba or even rosewood so the ebonizing is much more convincing in the end. Curious to see how yours will turn out. What will you use as sealer?
This stuff really doesn't need sealing :)

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Those pickups look great! Any of the Gio 7's I've played at stores have been solid.

Not sure if you've tried but I've been loving Ernie Ball Cobalt's for 7 string guitars. They're a little different sounding than D'Addarios but I prefer them. They tend to sound newer longer as well.

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Those pickups look great! Any of the Gio 7's I've played at stores have been solid.

Not sure if you've tried but I've been loving Ernie Ball Cobalt's for 7 string guitars. They're a little different sounding than D'Addarios but I prefer them. They tend to sound newer longer as well.
It's spoilers .... but I'm trying these

7 string_-40.jpg

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay .... so let's crack on with this ...
The rather crap Black Beauties showed up that there was a high fret up the 'dusty end' that was choking like hell with every big string bend around the 14th fret.
So ... piano wire cutters taken to the DRs £12 wasted ... but hey ho.
7 string_-23.jpg

And out with those super cheapo pickups. I had to strip the output wires to see what was going on for re-wiring my pickups in. Wow they are Christmas cracker cheap!

7 string_-35.jpg

Just plain nasty! Single coil tap wire ... blurggghhhhh

So mask the fingerboard ... a job I hate, especially with 24 frets to do ... it goes on forever!
7 string_-24.jpg

Sharpie on the fret tops ...
7 string_-25.jpg

And on with the levelling beam with 320 grit ...
7 string_-26.jpg

Then when all the Sharpie has gone ... I taped a high fret with a couple of layers of masking tape ... and put a fall off on the top frets.
7 string_-28.jpg

Then my rather expensive, hand cut German fret crowning file (got it years ago) and working through the wet and dry paper grades to 8000 to polish ... with 0000 steel wool then metal polish to finish.
7 string_-29.jpg

Great stuff this ...

7 string_-31.jpg

Then in go those pickups ...

More later

Reaction score
Those transparent plastic bobbin pickups look awesome, I need some of those in my guitars... damn it, looks like it's time for a new one... just because of the pickups...

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Outstanding. I am currently working on a GIO GRX20 that was in crapulous condition, it's been the "starter guitar" in the friend group for years and never gotten any love. Did my very first level/crown/polish on it, the new nut just came in so it's all going back together soon. Can't say I'm winding my own pickups for it though.... great stuff. Love the leather polish idea. Is the crowning file you use still available for sale anywhere? Very curious about that.

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Outstanding. I am currently working on a GIO GRX20 that was in crapulous condition, it's been the "starter guitar" in the friend group for years and never gotten any love. Did my very first level/crown/polish on it, the new nut just came in so it's all going back together soon. Can't say I'm winding my own pickups for it though.... great stuff. Love the leather polish idea. Is the crowning file you use still available for sale anywhere? Very curious about that.
This is the closest I can see online at the moment. I find them easier to use tham the 'cranked' Stew Mac variety.

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And so .... forwards!
7 string_-40.jpg

Not wishing to repeat the Black Beauties debacle I decided to give these Dunlops a go.
7 string_-32.jpg

I waas pleased to find the 62 string still went through the locking tuner button with no Issue, I was a bit concerned by what others had said about the cheaper tuners being very 'tight' in the string hole ...but no ... went just fine.
Now to wire the Neo X breeds in.
Yuck mini pots and super cheap switch ... well those will get updated on another occasion as they seem to work well enough for now ... at least onepot will be replaced ... I have a plan to fit a killswitch in place of the tone knob - who uses those things anyway? :)
7 string_-21.jpg

To beef up the coil split positions I'm going to use a small resistor (PRS style) attached to the 'series link' wires, so that when they are shunted to ground ... the shunted coil will still be partly 'on' ... on just enough to fatten up the SC tone a little. The Neo-X-Breed is magnetically quite a powerful pickup, so it splits well anyway and follows my mantra of 'lower winds more magnetic power makes for great note seperation - especially under tons of drive! All humbuckers need a little help when split in my book.
7 string_-37.jpg

A quick look at part of my workshop - where the two pickup winding bays are :cool:
7 string_-46.jpg

And here you go outside the Oil City premises in our yard ... the jobs at least partly done (still those pots and switch to fix eventually).
Is it worth it? Well, It's sounding and feeling like a totally different guitar. Before, yes, you could chug away on the bottom three strings (admittedly in a sea of mud) to your heart's content ... but if you tried to solo up past the tenth fret, things choked everywhere, and forget bends. Now it's clear, powerful and tight (courtesy of the neodymium) in the bass end, and balanced (not scratchy like it was) in the treble.

7 string_-42.jpg

I'd happily gig the Geo now ... before it was just a bedroom axe to me. Gonna play it a couple of weeks more - and enjoy the hell out of it -while I work out what I'm going to do exactly with the controls. I'm a minimalist for my own playing ... and that tone control is wasted space to me :)

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I finished the work to date yesterday and have had a day off from the workshop ... I can't put the damn guitar down now! The action is WAY better ... I can actually get some speed up and do a bit of tapping etc. I knew there was a good guitar in there struggling to get out. Any good pickups would have helped the string definition that was horribly muddy and muddled ... my Neo-X-Breeds got the job and have made it a joy to noodle quiet chord laden and arpeggiated sections ... you can tell a 7th from a 9th ... joy ... then hit the dirty, and yep you can still hear a 7th and a 9th ... :)

'I'm a happy camper!' to quote Chris Holmes

ManOnTheEdge

Reaction score
Very nice, my main squeeze is a RG7321 upgraded in a similar manner (although I needed Jon at FelineGuitars to do the work as I don’t have the skills)

Love the clear bobbins, tried the BlackBirds in a Feline Panther model and they were excellent

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Nice work. Nothing makes a guitar feel better than freshly leveled, crowned and polished frets!

I bet that things a ripper, now :shred:

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Very nice, my main squeeze is a RG7321 upgraded in a similar manner (although I needed Jon at FelineGuitars to do the work as I don’t have the skills)

Love the clear bobbins, tried the BlackBirds in a Feline Panther model and they were excellent
Thank you sir :) the RG7321 is an excellent beast ...

Ah the Panther ... like this with my Oil City Masterwound Blackbirds ...
Panther_Special (2).jpg

Like a chubby Black Machine ... not a coincidence that Jon made the B6 Black Machines :cool:

Jon does do a cracking guitar!

Latest posts

')