Upgrading Floyd Rose but using existing studs?

• Thread starter Paincakes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Paincakes

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a little floyd rose swap:
- 1 guitar has a Floyd Rose 1000, I plan to put in an OFR "1984".
- 1 guitar has a Floyd Rose Special, I plan to put in the 1000 from the above guitar.

Are studs and inserts actually different between OFR, 1000, and Special? Can I just leave them be and use the respective new bridge plates?
I'm trying to keep things simple with less work and room for errors on my part haha

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I can't say for sure, but I can't see it making a huge difference. That being said I wonder if it could cause the edgesto wear faster if the studs aren't the proper ones.

Shask

Reaction score
I have wondered that also. Not only the studs, but the actual inserts. Like, if I took out the posts for a Floyd Special, would the posts for a OFR screw right into the inserts? Do they all use the same threads?

Edika

Reaction score
In terms of just putting the terms on the studs it should not be an issue. All these three terms seem to have the same distance in terms of knife edge placement and profile. I'm not sure if the studs themselves differ in quality. I think the main issue with the Floyd Special is that the baseplate is not made from hardened steel and the knife edges wear out quickly.
I'm not sure if you can just move around the studs only, meaning if the threading in the posts has the same pitch. If that is the case then just move them across the terms. The posts themselves should be ok and not necessarily require to be changed.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Inserts are typically universal in terms of threading, at least in my experience. However, the depth of the insert can vary and if the stud provided is longer than the stock one, you won't be able to lower it enough.