Upgrading Rig, Suggestions?

• Thread starter pantera95
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pantera95

Reaction score
I'm new to this website, so i thought i'd ask for some suggestions on my next rig upgrade

At the moment im running - bugera 333xl (broke last week) and bugera 2x12

Ibanez - 550, j custom, 3120.

On the floor - NS2, mxr eq, Standard wah, Carbon copy, Phase 90, pitchblack. Maxon od808

As far as the next upgrade goes, i've got about $500 - $700 to get a used amp.
Looking into 6505, JSX, 3120, etc etc

And also a few hundred on a cab with V30's

- I need an amp with a smooth lead tone, for vai, petrucci, timmonds etc.

But lots of gain for unearth, killswitch, lamb of god etc

Whats some good amp/cab suggestions
Im open to anything
Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splees

splees
Reaction score
Sounds like a used JSX would be the way you want to go for those tones. As for the cab, you can't go wrong with a mesa or even an orange.

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
did u like your bugera?
chances are yours is an old one that had the clip problem.
if you liked the bugera id say get another one

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Used mesa 3ch recto on the cheap + a decent 212.

pantera95

Reaction score
Yeah, my bugera was one of the older models. I was thinking something like a 6505+? What sort of softer lead tones can it get

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, my bugera was one of the older models. I was thinking something like a 6505+? What sort of softer lead tones can it get

I play a 5150 II, and the "rhythm" channel kicked up a bit gives some great smooth lead tones. Kick in the "lead" channel and roll the gain back some and you can get a little bit of a warmer tone. If there's one thing that amp can really pull off, it's lead tones.

pantera95

Reaction score
Yeah, they've always been on the list of amps i'd like to own. I just constantly see rhythm players and metal players using them. I'd like to see someone getting some nice smooth lead tones out of one.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

You can get some good ones, with the right guitar. also look at the 6534+

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I know it's not on your list, but four out of the six artists you mentioned are Mesa users, maybe you should save for a boogie?

And people have tried in the past to tell me the JSX is like a DR but better or whetever it just isn't, they're nothing alike. The JSX is a cool amp, but couldn't be more different lol.

For what you like, if peavey's gunna be the way forward, the JSX is the one I'd go for, maybe get a BB Preamp or something for the Timmons type tones. It's very noisey though, you'll need a decent noise gate.

I'd really consider saving for a rectifier or mark series second hand though...

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
He's in Australia, I guess he's stuck with "boogie prices are stupid" everybody gets outside of the USA.

pantera95

Reaction score
He's in Australia, I guess he's stuck with "boogie prices are stupid" everybody gets outside of the USA.

Your right there! But i'll be getting my amp from america, just running it through a trepdown transformer for our voltage difference.

I spose the ideal amp in my opinion would be a mark 5, but they are a fair bit up in price to most peaveys

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Your right there! But i'll be getting my amp from america, just running it through a trepdown transformer for our voltage difference.

I spose the ideal amp in my opinion would be a mark 5, but they are a fair bit up in price to most peaveys

Find a Cheaper Mark III or IV, alternatively try a Dual Rectifier with a booster pedal. Older 3CH Duals are going for nout these days (comparatively).

')