Upgrading the hell out of a Jackson SLSMG!

Solaris

Reaction score
Hey guys!:wavey: This is my first post here on sevenstring so I figured I'd just jump straight into picking your brains haha. I've got a Jackson SLSMG that I already outfitted with a set of Bare Knuckles Coldsweats but I'm looking to add more to it. I'm thinking about having a buddy of mine put some Dunlop jumbo 6100 stainless steel(i think thats what its called) fretwire on it and I've got some brand new Sperzel Trim-lok tuners that are gonna go on it as well. Can you guys suggest anything else that would make it feel/sound better? Would a graphtech tusq nut also be cool to add? Give me ideas! Thanks! :hbang:

Eddie

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Hey guys!:wavey: This is my first post here on sevenstring so I figured I'd just jump straight into picking your brains haha. I've got a Jackson SLSMG that I already outfitted with a set of Bare Knuckles Coldsweats but I'm looking to add more to it. I'm thinking about having a buddy of mine put some Dunlop jumbo 6100 stainless steel(i think thats what its called) fretwire on it and I've got some brand new Sperzel Trim-lok tuners that are gonna go on it as well. Can you guys suggest anything else that would make it feel/sound better? Would a graphtech tusq nut also be cool to add? Give me ideas! Thanks! :hbang:

Eddie

Unless your friend knows what he's doing I'd get the new nut and tuners first. Do the frets really need work or are you just on a stainless steel fret hype-high?

You do know Graphtech makes tusq TOM saddles too, right?

Solaris

Reaction score
I bought the guitar used so the frets have quite a few dents in them. Also, I'm not really following hype, i asked my buddy to refret my old RG1527 and he told me to try out stainless steel(before I ever heard of it on the forums) so I just trusted his judgement and I was really blown away by how nice they felt and sounded. Idk, I don't really care what other people like, I just know I like them. I've already got the tuners, I was just wondering what people thought of the nut. What sets the Tusq saddles apart from the normal ones?

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
I bought the guitar used so the frets have quite a few dents in them. Also, I'm not really following hype, i asked my buddy to refret my old RG1527 and he told me to try out stainless steel(before I ever heard of it on the forums) so I just trusted his judgement and I was really blown away by how nice they felt and sounded. Idk, I don't really care what other people like, I just know I like them. I've already got the tuners, I was just wondering what people thought of the nut. What sets the Tusq saddles apart from the normal ones?

Ok I was just hesitant to suggest something like that on a whim but if your friend knows what he's doing, you trust him and he's done it before I have no problem with it now. Just from what I know fret jobs are a way more serious undertaking than just replacing a nut and bolting new tuners on.

As for your saddles, since you're upgrading the tuners and nut the saddles seemed like the next logical step. I'd get the whole deal.

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
what about some Dimarzio cliplocks? I know its a minor mod but its still pretty cool imho

Either way, whatever you do... I expect to see lots of pictures :)

Solaris

Reaction score
Yeah i'm still deciding if I want to get new saddles. I might just wait till these die down a little bit though. Also, I've already got straplocks on it so that's already taken care of but thanks! Oh I'll take quite a few tomorrow of what it looks like right now so we can have ourselves a badass before and after thread

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Stainless frets are awesome! Totally worth getting. I'd look into a PLEK job, too, but if you're getting your refrets/setup done by a friend you trust, that works just as well. Sounds like he does good work.
Saddles can make a pretty big difference, also, in string life and tone and sustain. Graphtech's TUSQ material is pretty sweet, and that certainly isn't a bad idea for a upgrade.

Solaris

Reaction score
I heard the graphtech saddles kind of shave the high end off your guitar and leave a little bit to be desired as far as presence. Is this just rumor or do any of you have personal experience with them?

troyguitar

Reaction score
Definitely get a new nut and put higher quality pots/wiring in when you do the pickups. At that point you will have upgraded everything but the wood and paint :lol:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Those are awesome, well-made, guitars already. Perhaps a graphtech nut and locking tuners. Not sure much else really needs upgrading.

')