Urgent: Schecter C-7 Blackjack or Hellraiser?

• Thread starter Cinadus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cinadus

@MetalUnderground.com
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forums and will soon be purchasing my very first seven-string guitar!

I've narrowed it down to the Schecter C-7 Blackjack and the C-7 Hellraiser, but am dead stuck on which to go for.

The price difference between the two isn't a deciding factor, so if anyone's tried both guitars please tell me your preference and give your reasons! I've been in touch with a Schecter dealer and could have one within a week or so, but I need to decide quickly before they go and then I may have to wait a couple of months.

If it helps the decision, I play through a Marshall Triple Super Lead head and 1960 cab.

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Cinadus

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
If you like passive pickups, go for the Blackjack. If you want EMG707s, and dig the sound of the new nevermore record, for example, or metallica with their high gain type sound, get the HellRaiser.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Personally, I'd much rather have binding, so I'd get the blackjack, but the trans cherry finish on the hellraiser is exquisite although looks better in the schecter pics than in real life.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
they C7 Hellraiser does have binding if i remember right. The only color the C7 comes in is black, youre thinking of the C1

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
they C7 Hellraiser does have binding if i remember right. The only color the C7 comes in is black, youre thinking of the C1
BINDING: Black Pearl
COLOR: Gloss Black (BLK)

I guess I was! lol

In that case I'd get the hellraiser because I don't like the JB or 59 but that's just me. As far as the blackjack...the headstock looks gaudy and you can't actually see the dots anyway.

Cinadus

@MetalUnderground.com
Reaction score
Hmm.. I do like the binding on the Blackjack. I probably prefer the look of it with the exception of the inlays. With the Hellraiser, you can barely even see the binding's there, and it's only around the body I think, whereas the binding on the Blackjack is around the body, neck and headstock. I also like the black chrome hardware on the Blackjack. Looks classy.

But performance-wise I have no idea. I certainly do like the sound on the latest Nevermore album, but then again I like the sound of their previous stuff as well, during which time Jeff used the Blackjack.

Dammit I hate making decisions.. :wallbash:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I like them both, prefer the Hellraiser. Both are great guitars though - Schecter is turning out some really nice, good quality axes right now for pretty reasonable prices. :agreed:

Cinadus

@MetalUnderground.com
Reaction score
Chris said:
I like them both, prefer the Hellraiser. Both are great guitars though - Schecter is turning out some really nice, good quality axes right now for pretty reasonable prices. :agreed:

Says your main guitar is a Schecter C-7. Is that the Hellraiser then? If so, can you verify what the binding's like i.e. whether or not you can actually notice it, whether it's only on the body or on the neck and headstock too?

Thanks!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
Schecter is turning out some really nice, good quality axes right now for pretty reasonable prices. :agreed:

Now, if only they'd do it in something other than black... :rolleyes:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
Now, if only they'd do it in something other than black... :rolleyes:

Schecter-MF.jpg

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I want an S-7, that's be where it's at...with 24 frets...oooh lala.

Battle-axe

Reaction score
Cinadus said:
Says your main guitar is a Schecter C-7. Is that the Hellraiser then? If so, can you verify what the binding's like i.e. whether or not you can actually notice it, whether it's only on the body or on the neck and headstock too?

Thanks!

I don't own one, but i'm pretty sure the binding is on the body only. Heres a pic :

971.jpg

Cinadus

@MetalUnderground.com
Reaction score
Thanks Battle-Axe! Just the pic I was looking for!

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks aside (and that's really about the last reason to buy a guitar), they will sound much different. I have the C7 Blackjack, and you get a real thick, but crunchy sound out of it, somewhat accented in the upper mids. This is both because of the JB-7 pickup and the fact that it has a maple neck.

I've never tried the Hellraiser, but it likely has a much darker sound, due to the fact that it has a mahogany neck and the 707s, which are heavier on the low-end than a JB-7 and without as much upper-mids or highs. If I were to get a Hellraiser, I imagine I would switch out the bridge 707 for an EMG-81/7 for that very reason, because I prefer a somewhat brighter, crunchier sound.

Otherwise, the two guitars should be functionally identical. The other setneck Schecter sevens are different because they have a shorter scale and crappy Duncan Design pickups.

If you check the reviews section, you'll see my recent gushing review of my Blackjack--it is the BEST seven I've ever owned, for what I do.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, for the same price as a 007 BlackJack, you can get a 007 elite, which has the following features:
1" shorter neck
Duncan Design PU's.
Quilted maple top.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Don't forget the single coil X_X...

')