Urtidsfader debut album (8 string, 0th octave extreme depressive black metal)

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
I've had an interest in trying to make some black metal in 9 string octaves for about 2 years now. After never really being satisfied with the results for 1.5 years, I hit some kind of breakthrough this year, and got this little experiment out there at last. Check it out!

Free download here:
https://urtidsfader.bandcamp.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-PW0d3FYc4

Feel free to add your opinions here in the thread. Any sort of feedback is welcome! :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bhakan

Reaction score
This is sick. Glad you double posted because I missed it the first time around :yesway:.

Gio18

Reaction score
Great and Powerful! Tell me when you get physical stuff though :hbang:

Action

Reaction score
I first heard your music months ago when I found the 0th octave club thread. I like your stuff man, it's as you describe it, extreme and sinister. This new EP delivers as well or better. The sound is very dense and dissonant. The production and mix is well done, in my opinion. Your 8th string sounds delicious.

I notice you released it under a different name than Unjustly to distinguish the project. Did you record this all yourself, or collaborate? More like this coming?

In that thread, you mentioned you are using an agile intrepid 828 in drop B0. are you using software amplification? what did you use for bass, and is the bass also B0? what would you say you had to do differently in the recording or mixing process, as compared to if you'd tuned the guitars to B1?

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Hey, looks like I did the right thing in bumping! Also:

I first heard your music months ago when I found the 0th octave club thread. I like your stuff man, it's as you describe it, extreme and sinister. This new EP delivers as well or better. The sound is very dense and dissonant. The production and mix is well done, in my opinion. Your 8th string sounds delicious.

I notice you released it under a different name than Unjustly to distinguish the project. Did you record this all yourself, or collaborate? More like this coming?

In that thread, you mentioned you are using an agile intrepid 828 in drop B0. are you using software amplification? what did you use for bass, and is the bass also B0? what would you say you had to do differently in the recording or mixing process, as compared to if you'd tuned the guitars to B1?
I love getting questions like this!

I released this under a different name because it leans heavily towards the blackened death metal direction, where my other project leans more towards the industrial blackened doom way (lol, I see I've got a pattern :ugh:). As usual, I did everything by myself in cubase, all the drums and orchestral elements are programmed, but the vocals, bass and guitars are recorded for real by me, quite literally in my bedroom :lol:

I still use Amplitube 3 for all the string instruments, specifically the Randall Warhead sim for gts and the Gallien-Krueger MB150s model for the bass. The bass is actually tuned to F#0 B0 F#1 B1 E2 with a standard 5 string set. The sloppiness of the heavily downtuned bass makes it super easy to play 3-4 string chords on the bass, which I use heavily on the album.

What I always have to do with 0th octave stuff is to very precisely and deeply cut a lot of the fuzziness between 3000-8000hz, because I've always found the harshness that sounds very good in chords played at G#1 and above sounds like utter garbage in chords of lower notes. Aside from that, I've found it preferable to not cut as much of the 300-800hz range as is common within metal, because a lot of the meat lies there with this tuning, without that, the notes easily turn to mush, especially with chords. Although, these examples might just be quirks of the configuration I'm running. Otherwise, nothing's really different from a project using 6 or 7 strings, I only had to tweak the bassiness coming from the guitars differently to let the punch of the 8th string really shine.

And lastly:
Great and Powerful! Tell me when you get physical stuff though :hbang:
Sorry man, looks like that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I've wanted to make physical copies since 2013, but I had to cancel the making of those because of a lack of funds, and my economy hasn't exactly become better since then... :noplease:

Edit:
Forgot one question. Yes, I've got more of this project in the works! I'll probably be dumping samples and updates on my soundcloud as I usually do. It all depends on where the project goes though. Got the first 9 minute track for a sequel in the works, and a lot of leftover ideas from the first release.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
just finished the first 2 songs...good stuff so far. will be checking out the rest of it.

maybe i missed it, but what pickups are you using?

Action

Reaction score
Ooo, thank you for the detailed answers. Very helpful. I have consistently liked your drums.

I suspect the EQ changes are not just quirks of your configuration. I'll know for sure soon, I have a 30" baritone on the way for similar tunings :)D)

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
just finished the first 2 songs...good stuff so far. will be checking out the rest of it.

maybe i missed it, but what pickups are you using?
I'm just using the stock pickups, the passive Cepheus ones.

Ooo, thank you for the detailed answers. Very helpful. I have consistently liked your drums.

I suspect the EQ changes are not just quirks of your configuration. I'll know for sure soon, I have a 30" baritone on the way for similar tunings :)D)
Oh, be sure to post something in the 0th octave thread in the ERG section mate! Also, its nice to hear some contrary opinions on my drums, since my drums are what the recording studio section of this forum always says is .... with my stuff :ugh:

DXL

Reaction score
Really cool idea and the songs sound great, but they all sound kind of similar.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Really cool idea and the songs sound great, but they all sound kind of similar.
Well, maybe it's the style? Do you usually listen to a lot of black metal like Blut aus Nord for example? Remember, to the ears of normal people, all metal sounds the same, especially if its got growling or screaming.

DXL

Reaction score
Well, maybe it's the style? Do you usually listen to a lot of black metal like Blut aus Nord for example? Remember, to the ears of normal people, all metal sounds the same, especially if its got growling or screaming.

Dude I've been listening to black metal since I started listening to metal. On my drive back from the university today I listened to Aghazanth's nearly entire discography, as well as recently purchasing the latest Panopticon album (I also own Roads to the North) and Mörker and Thränenkind being two of my favorite bands. I think the stuff was good, maybe I'll give it another listen when I'm able to immerse myself more.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Really glad you bumped this, somehow missed it originally. As a longtime supporter, I would be bummed out at not being able to throw money at another project!

I'm really enjoying this, surprise surprise. Very cool stuff, man!

The Mirror

Reaction score
Way to good prodwction to be trwe kwlt.

:cool:

Nah, I'm not really into Black Metal, but that's some heavy af sh*t.

naw38

Reaction score
....ing awesome. I typically only like the music that I like, not because of the genre it's in(I love Deathspell Omega, can't get into Blut Aus Nord, for instance), but I like this a lot. Possibly going to be the soundtrack for my walk to work for the next while, I think.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Dude I've been listening to black metal since I started listening to metal. On my drive back from the university today I listened to Aghazanth's nearly entire discography, as well as recently purchasing the latest Panopticon album (I also own Roads to the North) and Mörker and Thränenkind being two of my favorite bands. I think the stuff was good, maybe I'll give it another listen when I'm able to immerse myself more.
Man, I wasn't attacking your tvue cvlt status, I was asking if you listen to for example Blut aus Nord, more specifically their album Mort (one of my favorite BM albums) which is very samey on the ears, and at a glance, all the songs begin and end in the same way. Maybe give it another chance as you say?

If you do give it another chance, feel free to throw up a new post saying if you feel differently or not!

Really glad you bumped this, somehow missed it originally. As a longtime supporter, I would be bummed out at not being able to throw money at another project!

I'm really enjoying this, surprise surprise. Very cool stuff, man!
Thanks mate! Your support is very welcome! :D

Way to good prodwction to be trwe kwlt.

:cool:

Nah, I'm not really into Black Metal, but that's some heavy af sh*t.
Am I not dank and murky enough? Will have ta look into that for my next release! :lol:

....ing awesome. I typically only like the music that I like, not because of the genre it's in(I love Deathspell Omega, can't get into Blut Aus Nord, for instance), but I like this a lot. Possibly going to be the soundtrack for my walk to work for the next while, I think.
Hmm, BAN is a lot weirder in design than DSO I guess. I love em both for different reasons, but I guess DSO is easier to get into, especially if the first thing you hear is "The Shrine of Mad Laughter". That's what hooked me instantly on DSO at least! :metal:

black metal isn't really my cup o tea, but it sounds pretty killer. Nice work.
3 people in a row says they don't particularly like BM, but think my stuff is alright? Either I'm doing something right, or I'm not trve cvult enough! :ugh:

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
....3 people in a row says they don't particularly like BM, but think my stuff is alright? Either I'm doing something right, or I'm not trve cvult enough! :ugh:

You're doing something right. While im not the biggest bm fan, I do appreciate good metal, and you have some good metal tunes.

The Mirror

Reaction score
3 people in a row says they don't particularly like BM, but think my stuff is alright? Either I'm doing something right, or I'm not trve cvult enough! :ugh:

Well, guess the difference is that we can actually hear that you play the guitar on those tunes and not a dying norwegian goat...:yesway:

')