US Officially Ends War in Iraq

• Thread starter AngelVivaldi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
(searched thread before posting)

"BAGHDAD -- U.S. forces formally ended their nine-year war in Iraq with a low-key flag ceremony in Baghdad on Thursday.
"After a lot of blood spilled by Iraqis and Americans, the mission of an Iraq that could govern and secure itself has become real," Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said at the ceremony at Baghdad's still heavily fortified airport.
Vote: How would you describe the war in Iraq?
Almost 4,500 U.S. soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqis lost their lives in the war that began with a "Shock and Awe" campaign of missiles pounding Baghdad and descended into sectarian strife and a surge in U.S. troop numbers.
U.S. soldiers lowered the flag of American forces in Iraq and slipped it into a camouflage-colored sleeve in a brief outdoor ceremony, symbolically ending the most unpopular U.S. military venture since the Vietnam War of the 1960s and 70s.
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and President Jalal Talabani were invited to the ceremony but did not attend.
In addition to the dead, the war left 32,000 Americans wounded and cost the U.S. more than $800 billion."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
The 'war' will never end, due to the money being made with weapons, oil & drugs...

The mumblings about how we're in Iraq for the oil have always amused me. Of all of the countries from which the US imports petroleum, Iraq currently ranks seventh. That's below such economic powerhouses as Nigeria, and right in between Colombia and Ecuador. The country that exports the most oil to the US, as Razzy suggested, is Canada. We import almost six times as much oil from Canada in comparison to Iraq. We get a whopping .04% of our petroleum imports from Iraq. Man, I can't imagine how we'd get on without them.

Linkage, if anyone is curious:

Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries

murakami

Banned
Reaction score
I hear the Canadians have oil. :squint:

dude, we have shit. we are rich in natural resources but are dumbass' government, congress etc... keep fucking selling it off . sooner or later
canadian's land will be owned by some tycoon. it's bullshit.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
The mumblings about how we're in Iraq for the oil have always amused me. Of all of the countries from which the US imports petroleum, Iraq currently ranks seventh. That's below such economic powerhouses as Nigeria, and right in between Colombia and Ecuador. The country that exports the most oil to the US, as Razzy suggested, is Canada. We import almost six times as much oil from Canada in comparison to Iraq. We get a whopping .04% of our petroleum imports from Iraq. Man, I can't imagine how we'd get on without them.

Well, oil probably wasn't the only reason for beginning the invasion of Iraq. I highly doubt that there is one single reason an invasion (and subsequent occupation) like this was carried out. However, that doesn't mean that oil played no role. Even if we export less oil from Iraq than from other countries, this doesn't mean that there cannot be plans to make Iraq a larger supplier of oil once the new regime is more in control of it's people and oil concessions can be made.

I would hope that eventually a truth commission is established to find out exactly why all of this tragedy had to happened. After 8 years of war, people are no longer so keen to believe that this was an act of benevolence, or an act of liberation rather than conquest. US democratic ambitions in the region are not so self evident anymore, specially after seeing Tunisia and Egypt liberate themselves from US backed dictators.

I really hope our government begins looking inwards more.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Well, oil probably wasn't the only reason for beginning the invasion of Iraq. I highly doubt that there is one single reason an invasion (and subsequent occupation) like this was carried out. However, that doesn't mean that oil played no role. Even if we export less oil from Iraq than from other countries, this doesn't mean that there cannot be plans to make Iraq a larger supplier of oil once the new regime is more in control of it's people and oil concessions can be made.

Of course, it'd be foolish of me to assume that oil played no part. I just think it played a near negligible part, especially next to the part so many people say it played (or parrot others having said it, rather). It'd obviously be something the Armed Forces would take into consideration before invading a country, because a country's resources have been something armies have considered before an invasion for as long as there have been military invasions.

Krauthammer

Reaction score
I would hope that eventually a truth commission is established .....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think "truth" is too much of an alien concept for our elitist Gov't.

Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Lebanon; all inside only 20 years. Syria and Iran are next. Why does our Gov't (not our country) feel the need to create instability and destroy? So what if Iran gets/has nukes. I find it hard to believe that they would risk annihilation and launch an attack unprovoked, on the other side of the planet. North Korea even has that nasty shit, and now invasion is off the table. It would seem that nuclear tech protects your country from being fucked with by the US Gov't, not invite an invasion.

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
Ahhhh the bittersweet relief the Iraqi people must feel...like when your rapist ejaculates.

iamjosan

Reaction score
Without an American presence overseas, it will be much easier for the Sunni and Shia to kill each other. Iran will attack Saudi Arabia pretty soon.

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
Though we'll probably never 'leave' completely.

Exactly. We haven't even fully withdrawn from Germany yet. :squint:

I don't think it's as much a reason for the start of the war, but tensions with the Middle East as a whole are definitely centered around oil and other resources. The Nigerian Civil War was waged with Britain supporting the abusive government not because they were right in their cause, but because they wanted stable oil prices. The British government didn't care that their trading blockades were causing massive starvation and that the majority of the 200,000 deaths in the war on the Biafran side of things were from mal-nutrition. All they cared about was wiping out the Secessionists and keeping the Britain-friendly Fulani in power.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's probably an underlying politcal reason we decide to push our western values on Iraq and not another country being abused by a dictator.

')