USB drive broken

• Thread starter Stuart
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart

Reaction score
My old faithful USB storage drive took a turn for the worst. It gave up after I put it through the washing machine and the dryer in my pocket. It looks fine, but wont work in my laptop. Does anyone know how I might be able to get the files back off it? I did back up most of it, but because of the sensitivity of them I didnt back up one or two files.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
You *didn't* back up because of sensitivity? That's... erm...

Anyway, open the case and let the guts dry out in a clean area and you might be fine, apart from that I don't know what could help...

Jeff

AK DRAGON

Guitar Popcicle
Reaction score
unfortunately you are SOL. electronics don't take kindly to water, detergent, and heat.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
My old faithful USB storage drive took a turn for the worst. It gave up after I put it through the washing machine and the dryer in my pocket. It looks fine, but wont work in my laptop. Does anyone know how I might be able to get the files back off it? I did back up most of it, but because of the sensitivity of them I didnt back up one or two files.

:lol: Sorry, I don't mean to laugh at your pain, it just reminded me that I'm still using my first 1 gb. thumb drive, an old Lexar because the damn thing's been indestructible. Not only did I bend the jack part of it when I lifted my laptop to avoid a spill (it goes in at an angle now :lol:)... the drive, like yours, has been through the washer and dryer no less than three times! :eek:

Should'a bought this one: :agreed:
lexarUSB.jpg

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Too bad my Geek Squad drive wasn't as rugged! It died three days after I got it for no apparent reason, and I didn't have the receipt because my friend had accidentally tossed it out. I was so happy to have upgraded from 1GB to 8GB, but that didn't last long!

Luckily, last week I found an even better Sandisk 8GB drive for $24. :metal:

')