Used Peavey 6505+?

• Thread starter Forrest_H
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was looking into buying a used Peavey 6505+ combo, and I'm sure I'm being extremely paranoid and stupid, but...

Are the used combos below $400 on Guitar Center really okay? They go new for nearly $600, so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with them.

Help me waste my paycheck :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
You can have it shipped to your local store, and then give it the go through yourself before deciding to take it home (accepting it).

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
I think I'll do that. I guess my biggest worry is that it'll be dead when it shows up, but it's a fairly large chain music store, so they couldn't sell nothing but garbage.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
You're right in being skeptical, they're goal is to make money lol.
You might be subject to a shipping fee if you don't except the item, and that of course would vary depending on the location.

Best bet would be to find the few you're interested in and then contact those stores directly and see if they will e-mail you more detailed pics and confirm that it's in well working order.
That gives some additional accountability on their part, maybe.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
You're right in being skeptical, they're goal is to make money lol.
You might be subject to a shipping fee if you don't except the item, and that of course would vary depending on the location.

Best bet would be to find the few you're interested in and then contact those stores directly and see if they will e-mail you more detailed pics and confirm that it's in well working order.
That gives some additional accountability on their part, maybe.

I'll do this for sure.

Does anyone have any experience ordering from GC? Anyone have any other feedback?

vick1000

Reaction score
GC will refund your money for 30 days for any reason, shipping and tax included, just make sure you remind them about the shipping charges when you get the refund.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
GC will refund your money for 30 days for any reason, shipping and tax included, just make sure you remind them about the shipping charges when you get the refund.

Awesome, I'll keep this in mind if I order the amp.

Any other thoughts from anybody? :)

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
You're probably pretty safe buying from guitar center, and the price seems about normal for used 6505+ 112's (they go for that and often times less on ebay too). It's likely my next amp purchase too, and GC would probably be the best way to get one.~

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
You're probably pretty safe buying from guitar center, and the price seems about normal for used 6505+ 112's (they go for that and often times less on ebay too). It's probably my next amp purchase too, and GC would probably be the best way to get one.~

Awesome, thanks for your input. I'm leaning more towards ordering one now. I've emailed the New Orleans GC for additional pics and proof of function.

Any last thoughts from anyone? I'm very seriously debating buying this thing, so please add any thoughts you might have :hbang:

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
You're pretty safe ordering from their used site. I bought a Valveking from their site for $250 + shipping and UPS lost it, but Guitar Center gave me a full refund (including shipping) and I bought another for the same price, and it was delivered in 4-5 days, and it was a brand new Valveking. I also ordered an Ibanez TBX150H about a year ago for $99 and it was brand new when I got it.

I seem to get used stuff that's in mint condition for less than half price on there.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
you can find a use 65050/5150 212 combo for 400

This. The 6505+ 1x12 combos have a slightly different sound and are made in china as opposed to the 5150/6505 2x12's that are American and have the regular 5150 preamp.

I'll have to check these out, are they much better or is the difference minor?

You're pretty safe ordering from their used site. I bought a Valveking from their site for $250 + shipping and UPS lost it, but Guitar Center gave me a full refund (including shipping) and I bought another for the same price, and it was delivered in 4-5 days, and it was a brand new Valveking. I also ordered an Ibanez TBX150H about a year ago for $99 and it was brand new when I got it.

I seem to get used stuff that's in mint condition for less than half price on there.

Okay, that's also reassuring. My current amp setup is also a used Valveking from GC, but I bought it in store. Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Iron Beard

Reaction score
ive ordered a ton of stuff off gc used site. shipping is pretty cheap and i can just retrun it to my local gc if i dont want it. hell ive ordered 4 different 4x12 cabs and a 8x10 bass cab and only paid $23 for shipping.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
ive ordered a ton of stuff off gc used site. shipping is pretty cheap and i can just retrun it to my local gc if i dont want it. hell ive ordered 4 different 4x12 cabs and a 8x10 bass cab and only paid $23 for shipping.

It sounds like virtually everyone has had a good experience ordering online, so I'll definitely be ordering :)

The question now is 6505/5150 2x12 or the 6505+? I've played a +, thought it sounded good, but I have yet to check out the older 5150/6505's. Any significant differences?

EDIT: I just remembered I quoted that said the differences :lol: Can someone link me to a comparison video, or just describe the difference in sound?

Thanks to everyone who has help thus far :)

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
I leave my online orders to Musician's Friend (I hear they're part of Guitar Center somehow?) and I just go directly to a GC store when I buy from them. Every purchase and phone call that I've ever had with their customer service has always been a really good experience. I'm also hoping to grab a 6505+ 112 in a few months. I got a really, really good deal on my new bass during this past 4th of July sale.

I definitely recommend having it shipped to the store just to make the return process go a lot quicker and an employee will probably even help you hunt down another one if that's the case.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The 1x12 + model has a little more high-mids that I find to be kinda scratchy at high volumes, though it helps keep definition at really low volumes.

The 5150/6505 2x12 combos are definitely fuller sounding with more of that awesome grind that the heads are known for, and will likely hold up better in the long run :2c:

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
I leave my online orders to Musician's Friend (I hear they're part of Guitar Center somehow?) and I just go directly to a GC store when I buy from them. Every purchase and phone call that I've ever had with their customer service has always been a really good experience. I'm also hoping to grab a 6505+ 112 in a few months. I got a really, really good deal on my new bass during this past 4th of July sale.

I definitely recommend having it shipped to the store just to make the return process go a lot quicker and an employee will probably even help you hunt down another one if that's the case.

I was definitely thinking of this. I'll have to for sure do it :)

The 1x12 + model has a little more high-mids that I find to be kinda scratchy at high volumes, though it helps keep definition at really low volumes.

The 5150/6505 2x12 combos are definitely fuller sounding with more of that awesome grind that the heads are known for, and will likely hold up better in the long run :2c:

Honestly, the fact that the latter is a 2x12 is enough for me to want it, but the biggest issue is price. I need to stay below like $400, and the 5150 combos are near the $500. If I had just a few hundred more I was able to spend it wouldn't even be a question :lol:

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I'm going to threadjack here a bit since I think it would be a waste of space to start a new thread with this one right here.

I have up to 1000 budget if I stretch a bit for my first tube amp and I've pretty much decided on a 6505. Through GC I can get a new 6505+ 112, a used 6505 212, or a used 6505+ head for more or less the same price. Would it be worth it to go ahead and get the head with a used cab as well? I would mostly use it for practice and for studio use, but the 6505+ combo I played a couple days ago had an absurd amount of gain at an absurdly low volume so I'm not too worried about pissing off the neighbors in practice, and the studio I use is very well soundproofed. Help a broke dude spend his money.

vick1000

Reaction score
You don't sound broke to me. I would go 6505+ head and used cab of some sort.

')