Using BIG strings...

• Thread starter All_¥our_Bass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I want to tune a normal 25.5 scale guitar in fifths, with the lowest string being an F# (and I also want to be able go down a half on all strings without problems). Which I plan to tune in fifths. For the F# I'm planning on using either a 70 or 75. Will I need to file the nut? If so, what should I use? Oh and in case your wondering which guitar I'm gonna do this this to, click here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
Probably not. I didn't have to do any mods to the nuts on any of my 7's until I switched to the 85 ga. That's when I ran into problems.:lol:

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you will need to file the nut. In fact you may want to have the nut replaced with an altered spacing as the thickness of the bass string/s might make them feel cramped on that side of the neck. Another point to consider is that the Hello Kitty Strats have quite narrow necks at the nut - maybe too narrow with big gauges.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
Dudes when your strings are lookin like this
SteelWireRoll02_gif.jpg
Its time to stop. :lol:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Only the lowest string is going to be unusual large (the F#). The C# above that and anything higher should have more "normal" guages.

F (half step above high E on a guitar)
A# (half step below high B on a guitar)
D# (half step above D on a guitar)
G# (half step below A on a guitar)
C# (low B 2nd fret)
F# (lowest string on an 8)
See, most of the strings will be fairly normal in guage. C# usually isn't a problem on a standard scale sixer, and doesn't require an absolute monster of a string. The F# is really the only thing I'm worried about.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
understood, you just need to be careful of that F#'s proximity to the edge of the fret's usable width, and to it's neighbouring string. My advice would be to recut the current nut and see how you like the spacing and tuning, then to have a new one made if you think it would be an improvement.
Personally I don't feel 75 is thick enough for an F#, particularly on 25.5", nor do I feel that 25.5" is long enough for it. And, considering you're a bass player I doubt you'll dig the feel, tone and intonation of that tuning/gauge/scale length combination. But you'll never know if you don't try it!
Last night I was going through some misc. shit and came across my old guitar lesson tabs and notes with a bunch of calculations from when I tried all fifths. Turned out the stretches were a little too much for my small hands so I gave up on it, but it was fun and had potential.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
When I did up my Hello Kitty squire for whatever it was I think A standard I got away with a 65 bass string for the low A because that is all I could find. You just let the bass ball end hang out the back of the guitar.
I should have filed the nut, but I think I gave it just the tiniest bit of a going over so the strings didn't pop out sideways when I did bends and I didn't try much for the action. Anyway, it should work - barely. You are going to have to have a light touch on the low F# to keep it from popping off the side of the fretboard I think.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
understood, you just need to be careful of that F#'s proximity to the edge of the fret's usable width, and to it's neighbouring string. My advice would be to recut the current nut and see how you like the spacing and tuning, then to have a new one made if you think it would be an improvement.
Personally I don't feel 75 is thick enough for an F#, particularly on 25.5", nor do I feel that 25.5" is long enough for it. And, considering you're a bass player I doubt you'll dig the feel, tone and intonation of that tuning/gauge/scale length combination. But you'll never know if you don't try it!
Last night I was going through some misc. shit and came across my old guitar lesson tabs and notes with a bunch of calculations from when I tried all fifths. Turned out the stretches were a little too much for my small hands so I gave up on it, but it was fun and had potential.

1.)So what should I use for an F#, an 80!?

2.)Well the string set on my 4-string bass tuned EADG is light (95,75,60,40) because I like to bend a lot(and I like djent), so having an ultra tight string is not entirley my aim.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Hard to say, I'm more a 45 - 105 guy on bass, and on my 8's 29.2" F# I've got an 85 which is OK. I'll try a 90 on it next time. That said, although the longer scale gives more tension it also gives more room for the string to flex when fretted so it doesn't feel as tense. I'm using the same gauge strings on the long 8 as on my 25.5" UV and it doesn't feel much heavier.
Try the 75, see how it goes. It's easy to cut a nut slot progressively larger but you can't really make them smaller if you go too big.
Incidentally, you're very likely to run out of intonation adjustment on that bridge.

FortePenance

Reaction score
I think you don't need to go up to 80. I managed to tune my guitar to G standard with 12-56 gauges. The strings were getting a tad floppy then, so maybe I'd say go up to 13-58s?

Just an opinion.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
No need to worry about that man. If you try tuning them way way up you will have some issues, though, and they definitely will unravel. I had my 65 tuned to A usually and it was still pretty loose. A 75 isn't much thicker so it will probably be pleeenty loose at F#. The hardest part will actually be fitting it through the tuner... you will probably have to drill them out. Bass strings also have a wrapping on the top. You can leave that on but it fucks with the sound in a way I don't enjoy, or just cut it off. It also makes it easier to squeeze it through the tuner.

Or have you tried this already and it is unravelling? It wasn't a big deal with my .65... but the .75 might make it an issue. The primary culprit is probably the really sharp angle the fender bridge has got compared to a tune-o-matic where the strings don't have to make a 80 degree bend over a sharp metal corner.

Hmmm... maybe you will need a graphite saddle or something softer just for that one string.

7Stringz

Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;445502 said:
Only the lowest string is going to be unusual large (the F#). The C# above that and anything higher should have more "normal" guages.

F (half step above high E on a guitar)
A# (half step below high B on a guitar)
D# (half step above D on a guitar)
G# (half step below A on a guitar)
C# (low B 2nd fret)
F# (lowest string on an 8)
See, most of the strings will be fairly normal in guage. C# usually isn't a problem on a standard scale sixer, and doesn't require an absolute monster of a string. The F# is really the only thing I'm worried about.

i tune my guitar to F C F A# D# G C (i think that's the tuning i'm not sure about the D#GC tho gotta look that up again) and i don't have a problem with the lowest string, ok it is a loss of tension but that makes it sound real grimey and atleast i like it that way. the problem is the D# in my opinion, because it sound really dirty and its not sounding good when you play it loose. just stay at the usual gauge sickness because it's uncomfty if you got a 68 baritone string for one Note and the rest is usual... also it suck playing the baritone string on the first fret as you gotta push really hard to make a sound. stay at your usual gauge size...

keep it real :nono:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I think you don't need to go up to 80. I managed to tune my guitar to G standard with 12-56 gauges. The strings were getting a tad floppy then, so maybe I'd say go up to 13-58s?

Just an opinion.

Yeah, you don't HAVE to use a really thick gauge. I'm able to tune down to low Eb on a DR 56 with a 25.5" scale (though I can't get it to work half as well with a D'Addario 59). It requires a light touch, but it works. If I was going to leave it in that tuning for longer than the occasional noodling around, though, I'd really want thicker strings (like the 80 I have waiting for my new guitar when it gets in). As long as you can get it to intonate properly, it's just a matter of how it sounds and feels to you.

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I have a trem, so I just cut off the ball end to fit.

I did, however, have to do a slight mod to my string clamp. The screw was just a tad too short.

I personally like a lot of tension on my guitar. Which is why I have 5 springs on the trem. I use a brass pick, so floppy strings aren't for me at all.

Those of you who worry about it being hard to fret those strings at the first fret just need to jerk off more. :fawk: :D

')