Using Expression Pedals on Guitar Plugins?

• Thread starter Anil
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anil

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to control parameters of the pedals on guitar plugins such as BIAS, Neural DSP using my BOSS EV-30 Expression Pedal?

I know there are some MIDI foot controllers (e.g. Behringer FCB1010) but I wonder if it's possible to use my own gear to achieve it without investing too much money. There is a cable to convert TRS into MIDI:

bmidi-5-35_pakcage_gal.jpg

Do you think that plugging EV-30 in my audio interface with this cable would work?

Thanks for your help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
That cable IS NOT to be connected to an expression pedal. That should be the cable to connect their 200 series pedals to other MIDI devices. MIDI is not a cable terminal, MIDI is a communication language between different pieces of gear. That cable only relates those terminals, doesn't convert the EV-30 output into a MIDI signal.

In order to use an expression pedal to control parameters in some VST, you first need to make your soundcard understand that the pedal is a controller. You'll either need a MIDI pedalboard to which connect said expression pedal or a MIDI converter like this:

7224034_800.jpg

About MIDI pedalboards, my suggestion goes for:
  1. Behringer FCB1010 (or something like this) - pretty cheap in the used market, already has 2 expression pedals, doesn't expand more than it is.
  2. Roland FC200 - has one built in expression pedal and allows to add more 6, having a total of 7 expression pedals. I have successfully used this pedalboard to control VST parameters, can be found cheap in 2nd hand.
  3. Roland FC300 - Has 2 expression pedals build in and allows to add 3 more, for a total of 5. I have successfully used this pedalboard to control VST parameters.
Comparing the prices of that MIDI Solution box new and a 2nd hand midi pedalboard, I'd go with the MIDI pedalboard.

You can also experiment USB pedalboard controllers like the Softstep series from Keith McMillen (check the "STEP" pages), but they are a bit more expensive...

About controlling VST parameters, some VST already have a MIDI assign function and management included, other will have to be controlled via the DAW's MIDI management.

That CABLE WON'T do what you are thinking.

Last edited:

Scordare

Reaction score
Odibrom is right here.. your cheapest option is to get a used Fcb1010 or similar. Since you already have the Boss EV, the Midi Solutions box would be clean, simple option though especially if you are limited on space. Unfortunately there haven’t been many standalone MIDI expression pedals. The Digitech MC2 and Source Audio Reflex are out of production and hard to find. There is this one but not cheap either.. https://beatbars.com/en/midi-expression-pedal.html

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
+1 for FCB1010. I wanted one single exp pedal for my computer and found that the $100 FCB with two exps and 10 footswitches was the cheapest way - kind of hilarious

Anil

Reaction score
That cable IS NOT to be connected to an expression pedal. That should be the cable to connect their 200 series pedals to other MIDI devices. MIDI is not a cable terminal, MIDI is a communication language between different pieces of gear. That cable only relates those terminals, doesn't convert the EV-30 output into a MIDI signal.

In order to use an expression pedal to control parameters in some VST, you first need to make your soundcard understand that the pedal is a controller. You'll either need a MIDI pedalboard to which connect said expression pedal or a MIDI converter like this:

7224034_800.jpg

About MIDI pedalboards, my suggestion goes for:
  1. Behringer FCB1010 (or something like this) - pretty cheap in the used market, already has 2 expression pedals, doesn't expand more than it is.
  2. Roland FC200 - has one built in expression pedal and allows to add more 6, having a total of 7 expression pedals. I have successfully used this pedalboard to control VST parameters, can be found cheap in 2nd hand.
  3. Roland FC300 - Has 2 expression pedals build in and allows to add 3 more, for a total of 5. I have successfully used this pedalboard to control VST parameters.
Comparing the prices of that MIDI Solution box new and a 2nd hand midi pedalboard, I'd go with the MIDI pedalboard.

You can also experiment USB pedalboard controllers like the Softstep series from Keith McMillen (check the "STEP" pages), but they are a bit more expensive...

About controlling VST parameters, some VST already have a MIDI assign function and management included, other will have to be controlled via the DAW's MIDI management.

That CABLE WON'T do what you are thinking.

Odibrom is right here.. your cheapest option is to get a used Fcb1010 or similar. Since you already have the Boss EV, the Midi Solutions box would be clean, simple option though especially if you are limited on space. Unfortunately there haven’t been many standalone MIDI expression pedals. The Digitech MC2 and Source Audio Reflex are out of production and hard to find. There is this one but not cheap either.. https://beatbars.com/en/midi-expression-pedal.html

Hi again,

I was considering to place an order for the options you've said but I noticed this adapter today:

https://beatbars.com/en/expression-to-midi.html

I think this one would make my EV-30 work as a MIDI pedal. Nevertheless, I just wanted to confirm it, do you think so?

Reaction score
Yes, it looks like it will work. It will be a USB connection to transport MIDI DATA that that little box will generate. Nevertheless, search your local classifieds for the Behringer FCB1010 pedalboard or one of the Roland's I suggested earlier. The thing is, once you'll take the taste of it, you'll find that one expression pedal isn't enough, hence the suggestion of those MIDI controllers. The Behringer should be found within the 50 to 100 €, the Roland ones may be a bit more. These are pieces of gear that have been produced for a LONG time and some may be 20+ years old (Roland FC200), so prices may vary depending on how old they are and how well taken care of they are. These pedalboards offer you the possibilities of not only having expression pedals to control swells and wahs as well as ON/OFF FXs, manage tempo parameters, Momentary or Latch type of switches and all that jazz...

')