UV STRING GAUGE

• Thread starter AXEMASTER
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AXEMASTER

Reaction score
WHAT STRING GAUGE DO YOU YOU USE ON YOUR UNIVERSE? I'M CURRENTLY BUYING TWO PACKS ATA TIME 9-46 PLUS A 56 FOR THE LOW B. I END UP WASTING THE REST OF THE 56 GAUGE PACK CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A SIZE CLOSE TO THIS WHERE I ONLY HAVE TO BUY ONE SET OF STRINGS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Woah, turn off the caps lock ;)

I use Ernie Ball 7 string Slinky 10-56. It's a standard 10-46 6 string set with a 56 added. You can also get single strings to make your own sets up.

AXEMASTER

Reaction score
Sorry im at work we leave it on here. i might try that i really like those light strings but i'm sure it'll have better tone and tension. thanks.

eviltoaster

Reaction score
i have a 9-56er set with an low E of 44...strange but very nice!

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
AXEMASTER said:
Sorry im at work we leave it on here. i might try that i really like those light strings but i'm sure it'll have better tone and tension. thanks.

That's ok dude, just remember it's easier for us to read with it off. I prefer the feel of 9-42's, but the 10's just sound a lot better IMO. I've always used a 56 for my low B, but I know a lot of people go for a higher gauge. If you ever detune a set of 10-52's with a 70 works very well for A standard tuning (down one whole set).

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
I don't play a Universe but I think that's irrelevant.

I use 12-68. Sounds and feels better to me.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
tecnically not a UV but a 25.5" scale guitar none-the-less :shrug:

i use 9-46 + 59

Roundhouse_Kick

Reaction score
At the moment on my UV I have an ernie ball hybrid slinky set for the top 6 (I think 9-46) and then a 58 for the low B. It's my favourite set so far but I'm going to try a 60 for the B next time!

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I'd dissuade anyone from using anything below at least 60 for the low B as it's just going to flop around too much.

I'd go for a light top heavy bottom set, and then go off an buy the extra guitar string seperately. Personally I'm using 10-52+70, and that's on both my UV's. (It is in A though)

For tuning to BEADGBE I'd go for either 10-46 or 9-46 + 60-66(which is what i was using before, with a 65 (bass string)) which will stop that low B from going sharp or flopping around when you pick it, and make it playable for rythm

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
I'm going to write a small C program that allows the members here who do the "work" thing to convert all caps into lowercase text :D

I probably won't, maybe after exams :p

AXEMASTER

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for youre responses i think im gonna go with the 10-56 slinky set.

jarrydn said:
I'm going to write a small C program that allows the members here who do the "work" thing to convert all caps into lowercase text :D

DO IT:hbang:

I probably won't, maybe after exams :p

')