UV777BK VS K7... ok, GO!!!

• Thread starter kentheterrible
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which Guitar?

• UV

Votes: 129 69.0%
  • K7

Votes: 58 31.0%

• Total voters

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Elysian said:
UV777BK has a color matched headstock :lol: its even bound... and if you want to be real technical, its got color matched dimarzio's too :agreed:
Yeah, but don't the side-dots on the K-7 glow in the dark? I mean, fuck...end of story. They fucking glow, man. Glow!

...in the DARK!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
bostjan said:
UV

Why isn't this a poll yet?

Mods? :mods:

I was busy getting drunk, fucker. :fawk:

I'm actually going to vote for the K7. Why?

Well, you already own and like a mahogany guitar. Check. You want a beater guitar, and maybe it's psychologcal, butcomparing a direct-mounted two-hum guitar to a pickguard-mounted H-S-H, there's just a few fewer things to break. And, while I don't care for mahogany for a lead tone, it's brutal for rhythm through the right amp.

Besides, from the "in person" picks I've seen, it's really an attractive guitar aside from that inlay, which doesn't draw as much attention as you might expect to itself when not viewed at "catalogue shot" angle.

And the "Poll" dialogue is below the "post" button. ;)

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I still don't understand why anyone would want either one of those guitars for a "player". They're boutique guitars. Want another child to abuse? Get yourself a 7620. I now have 3 of them. :D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
I still don't understand why anyone would want either one of those guitars for a "player". They're boutique guitars. Want another child to abuse? Get yourself a 7620. I now have 3 of them. :D

Of course, there's that. And if you want a mahogany body, an unfinished mahogany replacement body (with maybe a coat or two fo tung oil) would probably sound better than the (finished) K7.

kentheterrible

cheer up emo kid
Reaction score
I play all of my guitars live and fortunately enough for me they avoid serious trouble. Only damage to any of my guitars was the result of use at home so even though they all get played like hell, I take care of my stuff. My blue s7 has been on stage for 2+ years now and only has two knicks on it. I play with the guitar pretty high so I avoid the belt rash. I don't even know how you guys do that crap. I just don't want to totally wear the thing out cause I play hard. The only real issues I had with either was the pickups on both, I'm not a big fan of Dimarzio's, Blaze PAF's etc, although if ran through my mesa racktifier it may prove to be different. Also, as Drew said, very accurately, I already have a mahogany bodied 7 so possibly a basswood 7 would compliment it. I may even just go Duncan since every one I have ever had, Pearly Gates in my Fender and a Distortion in my s7, has totally rocked. Dimarzio's seem kinda fuzzy/buzzy. Who know's what hell will be envoked with that last sentence. I dig the look of the UV but the K7 does have a cool bridge. I'm thinking UV but we'll see... This needs more discussion for me. The cost isn't really an issue, either one is in the budget. Just need to work out the pickups/config/wood/trem details. You guys are awesome.
rock on.
ken:shred:

Ibanez_fanboy

I want a 1527!!
Reaction score
Allen Garrow said:
UV is the only clear choice. I wouldn't pay what they are asking for a K7 when it's nothing more than a 1527 with a trem mod and the K7 shit on the fret board.

Save yourself some money and buy an old 7620 or a new 1527, or treat yourself with a New Universe.

~A
oh, and binding on the neck, so special! NO! go with the UV its much better

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
kentheterrible said:
I dig the look of the UV but the K7 does have a cool bridge. ken:shred:

Hey Ken,
unless I'm missing something here, the lo-pro edge on the K7 is exactly the same as the UV. The only difference is the actual bar itself - their "U-bar" is exactly that - nothing more than a normal trem bar bent into a squared-off "U" shape, and probably with bushings at both ends (although that i don't know). Hell, apparently Ibanez gives you both bars when you buy it new. I could, with little trouble, make or modify the same bar at work in the machine shop. Interesting idea....
I ain't touching the Dimarzio/buzzy thing though.... :ugh:

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
Dylan7620 said:
actually its mahogany bodied - different than the basswood of both the RGs and the universe. one of the few production mahogany 7s they make. plus it has a color matched headstock, binding, and color matched dimarzios. by the way the necks are great on them too. though it is a little overpriced. if they could get one for under a grand i'd seriously consider one.

theres a stigma to both guitars in the back of some peoples head this is whats going on:
-steve vai guitar
-korn guitar

steves a better player, there for hi guitar must be better. both of them are made @ pretty much the same standards as they are both simlilarly prices MIJ sig axes. i know the inlay is ugly, but try look past it and judge it for the guitar it is...

Shit that's right,,, thanks for catching that. I forgot about Mahagany. That is the single most big difference then. Mahogany would make it interesting. The color match pickups are well just color matched. So really the wood is in question, as far as what sort of tone an individual is looking for. Perhaps I let my hatred of "corn" cloud my objectivity. If I found a killer deal on a K7 I would probably have to buy it. Depending of course whether it rocked or not. I could simply remove some frets and take out that K7 inlay and make it my own.

~A

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Dendroaspis said:
Hey Ken,
unless I'm missing something here, the lo-pro edge on the K7 is exactly the same as the UV. The only difference is the actual bar itself - their "U-bar" is exactly that - nothing more than a normal trem bar bent into a squared-off "U" shape, and probably with bushings at both ends (although that i don't know). Hell, apparently Ibanez gives you both bars when you buy it new. I could, with little trouble, make or modify the same bar at work in the machine shop. Interesting idea....
I ain't touching the Dimarzio/buzzy thing though.... :ugh:

The UV's now come with Edge Pro's. Everyone here has mentioned getting a replacement body for a 7620, but anyone ever think of getting a K7 and getting a new neck? Ebony fret board, with no inlays, stainless steel frets...would be pricey as hell since you're paying $1000 plus for the guitar with hardware, and then who knows how much for the neck to be made, but it would still be nice if you had the money to blow.

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
K-7

I don't know what do you guys have against the K-7? Both guitars (K-7 and UV777) have the same neck(UV neck) the difference is in the body wood and the apperance. For shredding and soloing this guitar is sex.:hbang:
Both guitars are great and awesome. It's just personal preference.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
As many people know I own both of these. If you're looking at value, BOTH are overpriced, the UV even more so than the K7. I paid $1100 for each, so that wasn't an issue to me. Judging them strictly on their merits, I think the K7 is a little bit nicer. I think the neck is more comfortable, the tone more organic, low end tigher, and more articulate. The UV has a better soloing sound to it and better cleans, and plays exceptionally well too...but the K7 I think just sounds and plays better.

I'm glad no one gives the K7 a chance, more for me.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Allen Garrow said:
UV is the only clear choice. I wouldn't pay what they are asking for a K7 when it's nothing more than a 1527 with a trem mod and the K7 shit on the fret board.

~A

Complete nonsense. I know this has been touched on a bit before, but you can make the exact same case for the Universe. The Universe has more in common with an RG1527 than the K7 does. Both the Uni and K7 have the same exact binding, both DiMarzio pickups, both a lo-pro, etc. The K7 has a mahogany body which sounds phenominal, a lot better than basswood to my ears. So if the Universe is $1899 new, and the K7 is $1449 new... and the Universe is much closer to a 1527...how does your point make ANY sense whatsoever?

Like I said, I have both, love both with all my heart... but you're really reaching to try to put down the K7. Why even play these games, just admit you hate Korn and resent anything to do with Korn and thats tainting your stance here. Because you're not talking about the guitars on merit at all.

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Complete nonsense. I know this has been touched on a bit before, but you can make the exact same case for the Universe. The Universe has more in common with an RG1527 than the K7 does. Both the Uni and K7 have the same exact binding, both DiMarzio pickups, both a lo-pro, etc. The K7 has a mahogany body which sounds phenominal, a lot better than basswood to my ears. So if the Universe is $1899 new, and the K7 is $1449 new... and the Universe is much closer to a 1527...how does your point make ANY sense whatsoever?

Like I said, I have both, love both with all my heart... but you're really reaching to try to put down the K7. Why even play these games, just admit you hate Korn and resent anything to do with Korn and thats tainting your stance here. Because you're not talking about the guitars on merit at all.

I agree:agreed:
I don't care if this is a "Korn" guitar or something. I looks at this guitar as a Ibanez model. It's is a bit overpriced, but it's worth it. I use my K-7 sor soloing and shredding and it's kicks ass. I don't care if the guitarsits from Korn designed. The thing that only matters is that is a awesome, comfortable guitar.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah man it's fine to say the K7 is overpriced as long as you call the Universe overpriced too. 1100 is about right.

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Yeah man it's fine to say the K7 is overpriced as long as you call the Universe overpriced too. I felt good paying $1100 for each :)

Yeah, both are overpriced, but both are excellent.(especially for sololing)
UV777 and K-7 = sex

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm actually beginning to think that, if you want a killer rhythm axe, a 7620 with a replacement tung-oiled mahogany body is the clear choice here... Maybe some Duncan's for variety, but bare mahogany is just gorgeous, and the tone would be pretty damned rich, if you like that sound.

Other thing to keep in mind here is the pickup configuration - now that I've got a Falbo singlecoil in my UV, it's a great and very useable pickup configuration, but there's no changing the fact that one of my favorite rhythm tones is parallel humbuckers, the "middle" position on a 7620/k7. Clear and defined, yet still edgy and chunky.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
He's saying if you have the means, then overpaying a bit is still worth it...because it's that good.

Latest posts

')