UV777BK VS K7... ok, GO!!!

• Thread starter kentheterrible
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which Guitar?

• UV

Votes: 129 69.0%
  • K7

Votes: 58 31.0%

• Total voters

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah if thats true then I need a 2027. I've never played one of those. The UV sounds great, but the K7 just has a tighter less mushy tone, much better articulation and snap... it's not really bassier than the UV at all. It's just perfect for any kinds of metal where articulation on the low strings is key. The UV is better for soloing especially on the neck pickup, but the K7 overall has a tighter, heavier yet also crisper sound. I think it may have a lot to do with those superb pickups.

I should add though, that the pickups only really seem to hit the sweet spot when fairly close the board (not too close, but when its too far away it sounds lifeless).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
Just have to throw my input in here...

Foremost... I've played both a UV777BK and a K-7. I own a K-7 (a neighbor had the UV, wish he hadn't moved :( lol). They're both nice; but hands down, I enjoy the K-7 more. I still want a UV, but that's only to have a 7 with a single coil (and to have a 7 in standard tuning). My vote... K-7.

Now, check out these photos I've taken of my guitar:

http://www.planetubh.com/core/permtemp/k7pics/

Greatest neck I've ever played, and I've played every guitar Sam Ash or Guitar Center has ever stocked, lol... I liked it a lot more than the UV. Though I believe they're the same dimensions & all, the K-7 neck is smoother. The neck also has 2 bubinga strips, not sure how much they help with support, but it's classy lookin. The headstock also matches (+).

And the inlay? Doesn't bother me. I've grown to like it for it's "weird" look. And no one who has seen me play had a clue it was "Korn guitar" (unless they're an educated guitarist lol); a lot of people (from a crowd standpoint) thought the inlay was some "chinese thing" lol :nuts:

One of the best aspects... LO-PRO EDGE. Best trem I've used; stable, keeps in tune, handles the whammy crap, and is comfortable for your hand. Features locking studs, and is the ONLY Ibanez model that still ships with this trem (has been so for a few years now if I'm not mistaken); everything else seems to ship with "Edge Pro II" or whatever. Features the U-Bar, an interesting tool. Nice to add vibrato and crap. I particularly find it useful for "guarding" the fine tuners from my hand (it practically sits on top of them). Don't like it? Pop it out (just like a normal whammy), and leave it bare, or pop in a normal whammy (it comes with both a U-Bar and a whammy bar).

The pickups? Amazing. I love the sound. Low-ouput (~200ma; for comparison, an Evo is like 450ma, an Air Norton ~300ma), so it has a great clean sound (easy to get a nice jazzy-smooth sort of clean). The distortion is also amazing if coupled to the right amp. My understanding is that they sound great in mohogany, but "muddy" in other woods (IE, basswood).

Another plus? Mohogany! This is more personal opinion, some don't like moho, and some do. Personally, I like the sound of mohogany, so it was a big push for me to get the K-7.

Another plus? Glow in the dark side dots. They'll glow like crazy if you expose them to UV light (if you keep it locked up all the time, don't expect any glowing). Get em in the sun light a little, and they're good enough to play in the dark.

I guess that's all... lol; in short, you'll be happy with either guitar. Just take the specs the mean the MOST to you (wood, trem, color, etc), and make a decision; you won't regret it. Hell, you ought to get both. I love my K-7, but I still want a UV (my guitar wishlist, lol http://www.planetubh.com/core/permtemp/myguitarwishlist.jpg).

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Lets settle this.

Get both, then see which neck works best on which body and then sell the one you don't want to me for 1$ :D

I'd play both first, but to be honest I have always thought that my 2027 didn't have enough brightness in it and hence have been dubious about mahogony only bodies on 7strings ever since...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
CyBerAliEn said:
Just have to throw my input in here...

Foremost... I've played both a UV777BK and a K-7. I own a K-7 (a neighbor had the UV, wish he hadn't moved :( lol). They're both nice; but hands down, I enjoy the K-7 more. I still want a UV, but that's only to have a 7 with a single coil (and to have a 7 in standard tuning). My vote... K-7.

Now, check out these photos I've taken of my guitar:

http://www.planetubh.com/core/permtemp/k7pics/

Greatest neck I've ever played, and I've played every guitar Sam Ash or Guitar Center has ever stocked, lol... I liked it a lot more than the UV. Though I believe they're the same dimensions & all, the K-7 neck is smoother. The neck also has 2 bubinga strips, not sure how much they help with support, but it's classy lookin. The headstock also matches (+).

And the inlay? Doesn't bother me. I've grown to like it for it's "weird" look. And no one who has seen me play had a clue it was "Korn guitar" (unless they're an educated guitarist lol); a lot of people (from a crowd standpoint) thought the inlay was some "chinese thing" lol :nuts:

One of the best aspects... LO-PRO EDGE. Best trem I've used; stable, keeps in tune, handles the whammy crap, and is comfortable for your hand. Features locking studs, and is the ONLY Ibanez model that still ships with this trem (has been so for a few years now if I'm not mistaken); everything else seems to ship with "Edge Pro II" or whatever. Features the U-Bar, an interesting tool. Nice to add vibrato and crap. I particularly find it useful for "guarding" the fine tuners from my hand (it practically sits on top of them). Don't like it? Pop it out (just like a normal whammy), and leave it bare, or pop in a normal whammy (it comes with both a U-Bar and a whammy bar).

The pickups? Amazing. I love the sound. Low-ouput (~200ma; for comparison, an Evo is like 450ma, an Air Norton ~300ma), so it has a great clean sound (easy to get a nice jazzy-smooth sort of clean). The distortion is also amazing if coupled to the right amp. My understanding is that they sound great in mohogany, but "muddy" in other woods (IE, basswood).

Another plus? Mohogany! This is more personal opinion, some don't like moho, and some do. Personally, I like the sound of mohogany, so it was a big push for me to get the K-7.

Another plus? Glow in the dark side dots. They'll glow like crazy if you expose them to UV light (if you keep it locked up all the time, don't expect any glowing). Get em in the sun light a little, and they're good enough to play in the dark.

I guess that's all... lol; in short, you'll be happy with either guitar. Just take the specs the mean the MOST to you (wood, trem, color, etc), and make a decision; you won't regret it. Hell, you ought to get both. I love my K-7, but I still want a UV (my guitar wishlist, lol http://www.planetubh.com/core/permtemp/myguitarwishlist.jpg).

Wow, well said. :yesway: :metal:

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
The UV77GR is my dream guitar...

The others are cool, especially the classic green/black UV7BK. I would love to have either.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
someone should be a salesman.

mahogonay, meh... i'll repeat that the trem system is a huge plus, and add that glowing side dots that come standard are fricken cool too.

middle pickups piss me off. still, the UV has a better body, pickguard, better pickups, way cooler inlays, etc.

I still vote UV

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
UV all the way. I've never played the K-7 before, so I can't comment on that, but the UV (especially the UV777BK) is one of the coolest sevens ever. Depending on your taste, you might want to change the pickups, but the stock pickups in there are pretty dang good (unlike my RG1527 that had kind of mediocre stock pickups).

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
UV all the way. I've never played the K-7 before, so I can't comment on that, but the UV (especially the UV777BK) is one of the coolest sevens ever. Depending on your taste, you might want to change the pickups, but the stock pickups in there are pretty dang good (unlike my RG1527 that had kind of mediocre stock pickups).
You've played essentially the same thing as a K7 before... my RG2027 (pretty much same neck, same body, same bridge). Only with a Blaze/AN7 combo instead of of PAF7s and a tone control. And piezos. ;)

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
bostjan said:
someone should be a salesman.

mahogonay, meh... i'll repeat that the trem system is a huge plus, and add that glowing side dots that come standard are fricken cool too.

middle pickups piss me off. still, the UV has a better body, pickguard, better pickups, way cooler inlays, etc.

I still vote UV
Um, the K7 body and UV body are exactly the same, except for the middle pickup, pickguard and control layout. The shapes are identical.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
If they did a version of the UV w/mahogany body I think it would be the shiznit, I prefer the UV styling but when I had the K-7 it just had the right tone for me. Cleans were so creamy and distortion was just right, I don't remember getting that with my old UV, that said my old UV did not have PAF7's in it so that could be a major factor. If I had to choose again between the two I'd go for the K-7 but it's a tough choice, right now the K-7 is cheaper (in the UK at least) so that would be another factor.

There's no doubt in my mind though that both are pretty awesome.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
Um, the K7 body and UV body are exactly the same, except for the middle pickup, pickguard and control layout. The shapes are identical.

Don't forget the UV is basswood, and the K-7 mahogany.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
the K7 tracks a lot better because the low end is 10x tighter than the Universe. Together they sound absurd though. This debate is kind tired though, they're really equally as nice, it just depends what sound you're looking for.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
the K7 tracks a lot better because the low end is 10x tighter than the Universe. Together they sound absurd though. This debate is kind tired though, they're really equally as nice, it just depends what sound you're looking for.

Word...8 pages lol

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
K7 for sure. the UV's great but god damn the K7 i thought shitted all over it. just playabilty, sound, everything. i dunno how people here can say the UV sounds better than a K7 stock?! Go a K7 for sure man. you get it brand new too. and its in a phat case. and just ignore the people complaining about the K7 logo on the fretboard..lol like really, its a sig guitar ofcourse its gonna be there, it doesnt effect the sound! :shred:

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
I tried a K7 & really liked it but ended up buying the Prestige 1527 as the neck felt the same to me & the guitars virtually weighed & played the same the only difference i found was in the pickups but thats easily rectified anyway, i'd seriously try out a 1527 i love mine to death.:hbang:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The 1527 is really sweet. I do prefer the deep rich sound of the mahogany body + direct mounted pickups in the k7, as well as the Lo Pro Edge. I also prefer DiMarzio pickups to Ibanez ones. The RG1527 is a great axe though, nice value.

Win/Win situation.

')