UV777BK VS K7... ok, GO!!!

• Thread starter kentheterrible
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which Guitar?

• UV

Votes: 129 69.0%
  • K7

Votes: 58 31.0%

• Total voters

malufet

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
yeah i know but i like my strings vibrate thru the wood than plastic pickguards. The sound is brighter i think.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
malufet said:
yeah i know but i like my strings vibrate thru the wood than plastic pickguards. The sound is brighter i think.
The strings never go anywhere near touching the pickguard. The bridge is mounted to the wood in both cases, and that's where the strings energy goes. The pickups don't transfer the strings vibration into the pickguard.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
The strings never go anywhere near touching the pickguard. The bridge is mounted to the wood in both cases, and that's where the strings energy goes. The pickups don't transfer the strings vibration into the pickguard.

The pickguard creates a sort of natural reverb chamber around the pickups that a direct mount guitar doesn't have. I believe that would explain what malufet was talking about. I may be wrong, but that's my take on it.

malufet

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
yes nitelightboy. It's really because when i buy guitars i would always try it unplugged. I examine it acoustically first and pickguards dont resonate and dont have much tone as the direct mount. All my guitars dont have pickguards because of this. hehehe

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
malufet said:
yes nitelightboy. It's really because when i buy guitars i would always try it unplugged. I examine it acoustically first and pickguards dont resonate and dont have much tone as the direct mount. All my guitars dont have pickguards because of this. hehehe

Really, I find that strange, as my experience has been the exact opposite - my pickguard equipped guitars have all seemed to be louder and deeper when strummed acoustically than my non-pickguard equipped ones, which are brighter and thinner. It's a total "different strokes for different folks" thing of course, but in general I seem to prefer pickguard-mounted electronics to direct-mount (for comparison, I've got an american strat and a UV7PWH, and I've sold a 7620, 2027, and RG7CST. It wasn't even until the CST that I picked up on the fact that I seemed to be selling guitars with direct mount pickups in favor of pickguards, and to be fair I will say that the CST was probably the most resonant of the direct-mount, which you'd expect of a J-Custom)

Of course, this all goes right out the window when you're talking about a double-locking floating trem equipped guitar, which has a HUGE impact on the way a guitar resonates anyway - I will say Chris's C-7 Hellraiser was an absolute beast unplugged.

(now's about the time I really wish I'd recorded some "unplugged" clips of these guitars mic'd up so I could show the differences in the acoustic tone... :/)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
(now's about the time I really wish I'd recorded some "unplugged" clips of these guitars mic'd up so I could show the differences in the acoustic tone... :/)
Sounds like a good idear, Hoser. I'd like to hear 'em.

(I'm with you on the pickguard thing, too. I think us Strat guys just get used to that sound.)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Sounds like a good idear, Hoser. I'd like to hear 'em.

(I'm with you on the pickguard thing, too. I think us Strat guys just get used to that sound.)

I'll trade you my Universe for your 2027. HOW ABOUT IT PICKGUARD BOY!? :wavey:

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
I have owned 3 of the UV777PBK's and I just body mounted the pickups on all of them. Body mounting pickups seems to ( for me ) be the way to go. The only guitar I didn't mod to body mount was my Jem7VWH. The fuk'r had some serious tone just the way it was. The only thing I did different was I made a shim out of maple that I placed between the front of neck pickup and the base of the neck. This seemed to tighten up the neck Evo pickup.

~A

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
I'll trade you my Universe for your 2027. HOW ABOUT IT PICKGUARD BOY!? :wavey:
Heh... I like pickguards, but I LOOOOOVE my 2027. Besides, I can't live without the piezo. About a third or so of my band's music uses acoustic sounds.

I've got a Squire beater 7 that I'l trade you that Uni for, though! :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Heh... I like pickguards, but I LOOOOOVE my 2027. Besides, I can't live without the piezo. About a third or so of my band's music uses acoustic sounds.

I've got a Squire beater 7 that I'l trade you that Uni for, though! :lol:

Die. :p

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
zimbloth said:

Looks like someone forgot to eat his Wheaties (Registered trademark of the Nabisco Corporation) today. ;)

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
dav2321 said:
K7: good pickups,mahogany body,locking studs already on, no meddlesome middle pickup. My choice.

My sentiments exactly.

maskofduality

Brandeis Sophomore
Reaction score
doesn't the uv777bk come with better factory set intonation than the k7 (not 100% positive on this)?
@zimbloth: did you find this to be true?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't know I didn't get either guitar brand new. The K7 is a superior instrument im my opinion though.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
maskofduality said:
doesn't the uv777bk come with better factory set intonation than the k7 (not 100% positive on this)?
@zimbloth: did you find this to be true?

They're both sig models from the same factory - I'd be shocked if that was possible.

Besides, if Rich @ Ibanezrules.com is to be trusted (which, he probably is), Ibanez factory intonation's off on everything anyway ;)

Kingcrimson

Electra Glide
Reaction score
David said:
yeah, I can't stand the K7's... I don't know why, I just don't like them. It isn't because it's Korn, and it isn't because it's severely overpriced like the UV, but it's something.

UV ALL THE WAY

David, how much do the UVs go for?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
New, UV's go for around $1850. K7s go for $1495.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
K7 is the better guitar. but it depends what you wanna play. if you wanna play metal, downtuned etc. go the K7 for sure. The uv is great, but the K7 has a slight edge over it to some extent.

tehk

Yes..
Reaction score
The Universe!!! That thing is one of the most beautifully designed guitars available (with the exception of the JEM, but no 7-string version), and I'm not even a Vai fan! Once I get my 1527 and do alittle custom work on my 7321 (probably pay pros to do it lol), the Universe is next!

P.S. Munky from Korn owns a Universe, but I haven't seen a K7 in Steve's arsenal. I'm just sayin... :agreed:

')