V3 versus Dual Rectifier

• Thread starter shishin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shishin

Reaction score
Ok. So I'm sorry about msking one of these threads. It won't happen again. I'm looking to get a new half stack and I can not decide what to do so I'm hoping a few of you will have experience with these amps. I only have a budget of 2000 so it's gonna have to be under that. So my main questions are
( I would also be grateful for reviews of these amps) :

1)which do you prefer for Low tuned guitars? I play metalish stuff. But we don't have a bass player so I tunre very low and I need something that will handle the low end.

2)I found a refurbished Mesa Dual recto for 1000 USD. It has been refurbished by Mesa because it had a messed up Circuit board. They also put new tubes in it. Should I be worried about buying something like that?

3) how much do Mesa 4 x 12's cost in general? I would need one to match the head.

Thanks in advance foranything you can offer. I'm very impulsive and got all messed up on what to buy. I'm selling my whole rig to get to start over and I want what is gonna work best for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shishin

Reaction score
uggh. I'm embarassed to say...I have a Spider 2 hd with a b-52 4x12. I have a bagillion different pedals. Mt-2 Boss eq, Fm-4, Digitech phase, Digitech Flange, Boss Dimension C, Digitech Digi Delay. I will have about 1300 bucks after all my stuff is sold and I don't want to spend more 2000 on a half stack because I have to buy all new effects.

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
what else do you want in your sound? the truth is there are many amps that handle sevenstrings well... and @ $2000 you can get yourself a mighty fine setup. you can see used rectos goin for anywhere from $900 up. and how is your rig not handling your sound now?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think only one or two people here have even tried a V3, so you might have to wait a while or look elsewhere for input on that particular amp.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
1)which do you prefer for Low tuned guitars? I play metalish stuff. But we don't have a bass player so I tunre very low and I need something that will handle the low end.

I'd prefer the Mesa, but I would honestly look to rack gear (separate preamp/power amp) more than a head, but that's my choice and not everyone's. I'm dying to check out the new ENGL preamp, but it's expensive as hell. My own preferences for preamps would be the Rocktron Chameleon, Voodu Valve, Pirahna, or Mesa TriAxis. All those preamps kick ass IMO, especially for heavy guitar.

2)I found a refurbished Mesa Dual recto for 1000 USD. It has been refurbished by Mesa because it had a messed up Circuit board. They also put new tubes in it. Should I be worried about buying something like that?

If it's been fixed by Mesa themselves, it'd be a fine unit. I wouldn't worry about it. What I would worry about is finding out how you know it's refurbed by Mesa. Did you just have someone tell you, or do you have documentation proving it? Also, it may be a stretch, but you can get a used Dual Rec 2 channel on ebay for at or under a grand, and you may want to look at that first instead of the refurbed head. Also, is the dual rec in question a 2 channel or 3 channel head?

3) how much do Mesa 4 x 12's cost in general? I would need one to match the head.

$899 new at Guitar Center. Not much of a used market for them though, because they're hella expensive to ship. They used to be $750, but prices have gone up for mesa gear in the past few years. Dual recs used to retail at $1200, now they're what, $1699? Damned demand curve! :rant:

shishin

Reaction score
Dylan7620 said:
what else do you want in your sound? the truth is there are many amps that handle sevenstrings well... and @ $2000 you can get yourself a mighty fine setup. you can see used rectos goin for anywhere from $900 up. and how is your rig not handling your sound now?

I'm just not getting the tone I want. I would like a Meshuggah-esque sound. Low and powerful. But I also need very clear cleans. Basically what I want to know, is the Mesa far better than the V3 and would it be worth the extra money?

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
you know man, I used to have 13 boss pedals, and a wah, got a lot of them for free, or super super cheap, but it was still like $600 for everything. I'm telling you man, sell them, and buy an effects board. I use a Line 6 POD Xt Live, it's amazing. Replaced everything. There are a lot of us here who can tell you from our personal experience with them, that they are completely kick ass. There's also the BOSS GT-8 effects board, and Digitechs GNX400 (I think that's the model), that you should definately look into.:yesway:

As for the amp. The V3's, are basically a Carvin TS100 with their $200 preamp. I wouldn't suggest that amp, and I've only heard bad things about it so far... even though the TS100 (which I have), total kicks ass.

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
shishin said:
I would like a Meshuggah-esque sound. Low and powerful. But I also need very clear cleans.
Just a thought... Ever consider a Line 6 Vetta? That's what Meshuggah use now.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Donnie said:
Just a thought... Ever consider a Line 6 Vetta? That's what Meshuggah use now.
I was just about to say the same thing. In fact, I figured you'd probably already posted this before I even scrolled down the rest of the way :lol:

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
sx300r.

He's just quoting me. I had said that when trying to sell my V3. Not that it makes it bad or anything. I still liked the amp, but I owned the sx300r, ts100 poweramp, and the v3, so I saw the comparison.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's not a very good comparison at all, because the SX preamp is solid state, and the V3 is all tube.

If the SX300R were an all-tube preamp, you can bet it would cost a fair bit more than $229.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about buying a factory-refurbished Recto, considering it'll be fully warrantied, and Mesa doesn't screw around with their warranty - it gets fixed, even if you end up sending it back to them.

Obviously, being a Recto user (and endorser, in the spirit of full disclosure) myself, I'm going to say that's what I'd pick, especially if I could get one for that price. I like the cabs a lot, too, and I think you're looking at $800 or so for one. (What's "store price", guys?)

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Indeed... the price of new Mesa gear is fixed. Everybody sells it for the same price, or they don't end up as a Mesa dealer for very long.

I find myself now looking more seriously at the F-30 and F-50 combos. I just wish they had closed-back cabs.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
shishin said:
I'm just not getting the tone I want. I would like a Meshuggah-esque sound. Low and powerful. But I also need very clear cleans. Basically what I want to know, is the Mesa far better than the V3 and would it be worth the extra money?

You know, I LOVE just about everything with Mesa stamped on the front of it... But for Meshuggah, you don't want a Rectifier. Donnie's Vetta suggestion isn't a bad one, as they do use amp modelers and their more recent tone IS very "direct" (but in a way that works). I got good results out of the speaker emulated out of a TSL I used to own, but if you want a similarly Marshall-voiced amp with a very clean clean channel, a Peavey JSX might be worth a look.

A recto is very deep and bass-heavy, while Meshuggah goes for a tighter, more present tone with a lot of impact - a modern Marshall-style amp with the preamp gain NOT totally maxed out and a heavy pick attack will probably get you closest.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drew said:
You know, I LOVE just about everything with Mesa stamped on the front of it... But for Meshuggah, you don't want a Rectifier. Donnie's Vetta suggestion isn't a bad one, as they do use amp modelers and their more recent tone IS very "direct" (but in a way that works). I got good results out of the speaker emulated out of a TSL I used to own, but if you want a similarly Marshall-voiced amp with a very clean clean channel, a Peavey JSX might be worth a look.

A recto is very deep and bass-heavy, while Meshuggah goes for a tighter, more present tone with a lot of impact - a modern Marshall-style amp with the preamp gain NOT totally maxed out and a heavy pick attack will probably get you closest.

I'd think a Recto (w/EL34s) set on "vintage high gain" and being slammed by some hot pickups would get you there - but a Vetta is probably better for trying to clone Meshuggah's tone. However, he wanted a V3/Recto recommendation, and with all the issues the V3's been having out of the box, that's not too tough of a choice. ;)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
I'd think a Recto (w/EL34s) set on "vintage high gain" and being slammed by some hot pickups would get you there - but a Vetta is probably better for trying to clone Meshuggah's tone. However, he wanted a V3/Recto recommendation, and with all the issues the V3's been having out of the box, that's not too tough of a choice. ;)

Quite possibly.

I've never played a Recto with EL34's, and I'm REALLY curious to. I think I'd prefer it.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drew said:
Quite possibly.

I've never played a Recto with EL34's, and I'm REALLY curious to. I think I'd prefer it.

They're interestingly different. The Vintage High Gain mode is pretty interesting, too - I use it in my cover band when I need a Marshall-esque tone. Use it with a RK on EL34s and it does a reasonably convincing Marshall.

')