V30's? G12K-100's? Cab Dilemma

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Basically, I think that I am going to go and get 1 or 2 orange cabs, and currently they offer them with v30's or g12k-100's, both speakers I've never played.

Now, I am not averse to replacing the speakers if I really don't like them, but I am trying to figure out which to get basically, as I have never played either of them!

Basically, I know the following:
- I like g12h's? the 30w blackback ones, not greenbacks. Very sweet mids and break up really nicely
- I am kind of fond of gt-75's. Not hifi, but I like how they have that dirt and fizz to them
- I love celestion85's. My favorite cab in the world at the moment has them in. 15ohm 85watts. If I could, I'd get a cab with those in.

What I don't like:
- Mesa cabs I never seem to have gotten on with
- Bass heavy cabs. THink more british rock sound than all low end heaviness

What I want:
- Good articulation
- Rawk n Roll
- Punchiness

Now, I know it may not come from either of the speaker types listed, but It'd be good to know which one would better suit me at a guess, as I can always replace the speakers as it's more the quality and construction of the cab that I'm after.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
are you buying new? what's the return policy ;)

try V30's.

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
dude, get a matamp and choose what speakers you want in it.

It's practically the same as an orange cab.

FWIW i really really really dislike how V30's sound.

Have a word with jeff at matamp, they supply the cabs for around £400 and you can go and watch it being built if you like.

Choice of tolex colour etc.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well you definitely NEED to, out of the choices you listed, have the V-30's for that "rawk n' roll" and the mids+breakup. I haven't used the G12K-100's before, but if you don't like "bass heavy" or "mesa cab" sounds, then it sounds like you might have some trouble with those from the description and chart on the Cele' website. The two together, however, might handle the spectrum better than either one alone.

Without getting into other speaker choices entirely, take the diplomatic approach and get 1 V-30 cabinet, and 1 12K-100 cabinet *especially since you're looking to get 2 possibly, anyway*. The best of both worlds, you know? :shrug:

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can, try out a Rivera cab. I believe the specs are similar to a Marshall 1960A cab in size. I found them to be very tight sounding. Not too bassy like an oversized cab Mesa, Vader, Randall, etc. I've tried a Rivera cab with V30's and it sounded very good (you might enjoy that one), but I'm not a fan of V30's anymore. The Diezel cabs are pretty nice too! Not very bassy at all I thought.

Austin

Reaction score
I'd just point out that V30s seem to take a while to break in. My Recto cab sounds a lot better now than when I bought it years ago. The high end on the V30s can sound harsh to some, but this went away over time for me. Obviously they're a better match for a dark head. I've never owned a cab with the other type of speaker.

Nightcrawler

thrashin`til`death
Reaction score
I love my Bogner Uberkab, it has V30's and 75's in it. Best of both worlds. And you know the quality is there.

Cheers,

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know how I feel about V30s, and the Orange actually sounds really, really good with them. Seriously, it's the only V30 cab I've heard that I like...

That said, given *my* tastes, I'd probably go with the K100s.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Yeah, I am leaning towards getting both, and then swapping speakers if i don't like something. In any case, I really actually mainly want the orange cabs because of their construction more than anything else, they're back breakers, but good cab construction = good sound :)

ChrisPcritter

Contributor
Reaction score
I also love the 85's.
As was said, the V30's take a while to break in. They actually sound aweful to me when new.

That being said, I have a bogner and a rivera cab both with vintage 30's. The bogner has a thin 3mm piece of insulation material on the inside attatched to the back panel.

The rivera has a 7cm thick piece of what looks like heavy shag carpet. The bogner has way more low end and even sounds louder... I've done side by side comparison with the same head...

I haven't tried the 100's but heard they aren't very good... Whichever you get, buy it and try tuning the cab yourself with insulation... Just a thought...

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
the g12k100s have a large low end, but its absurdly tight
They're great, as long as youre not relying on speaker breakup for distortion. My brothers rivera is hooked up with em
[edit] What are you going to play through these? They'd compliment your UL pretty well id imagine

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
those speakers slay with a full rivera amp :yesway:
i dont imagine it being different with the triaxis for a pre.

')