Vai impressed

• Thread starter xzyryabx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
A huge number of current metal groups/guitarists are releasing almost the exact same ("djent") music over and over, and we're cutting on a guy for being able to imitate Steve Vai, one of the most amazing guitarists of all time. :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Except that Guthrie Govan "steals" from LOTS of guitar players (so does Vai, Petrucci, Tosin Abasi, Henderson, and the others).

To me there are huge differences between "influenced by lots of people" vs. "hugely influenced by one person".

Don't get me wrong, the video OP posted is really fun and entertaining to watch, but I think your comparison is a bit unfair.

The other part of my post said "For all you know, that guy could have gotten offstage and went his gig sitting 1st chair at a local symphony."

He was at a Vai thing where he had the chance to jam with Vai, it's not like he was up there to showcase his own material and gain fans....the point I was making is that who knows what else that guy can play? The first thing I ever saw Govan play was him breaking down "Tender Surrender" note for note, but obviously Vai wasn't the only player he studied. Fact remains, he studied those guys enough to get all their nuances down.

If he's pulling off Vai licks like that, I highly doubt those are the only ones he knows how to play.

Strawberry Man

Reaction score
A lot of confusion here.

Just for starters, what is "hip" is not simply what the larger number enjoys, often it's quite the opposite in fact depending on which audience we have in mind.

Justin Bieber is not "hipper" than Allan Holdsworth or Meshuggah to anyone who understands even a little bit about music but it's true that he is preferred by larger numbers.

Taking up your example, fashion is rather the same; what the cognoscenti find "hip" like say John Galliano or Marc Jacobs is rather different from shoppers who may have a very different and less elaborate sense of aesthetics.

I'm sure you're aware of this usage and see how it undermines what you are clumsily trying to say.

As for not being taken seriously, the obvious bruised feelings from several posters in here one after the other belies your statement.

That a primarily metal crowd thinks that a player who put his time in slavishly imitating someone's playing RIGHT in front of him is cool without the need for any caveats, speaks volumes.

The other clip from that same performance of Andre Nieri playing with Vai is a much better example of someone who is obviously influenced by Vai as well as others and shows some of his own preferences, also in a metal style.

If you was really hip, the passing years would show you into a hip trip. Maybe hipper than hip. But what is hip?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
You guys need to see it from the other side. Look at the dude's faces. That was definetely the best day in his life:

Low Baller

Reaction score
Goes to show no matter how good you are you can still be impressed an learn new things. It was really cool to see Vai despite being a guitar god is human. Not to mention he seems really cool and humble. Many guitar gods like would have their egos hurt but not him he laughed and gave the dude a hug.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Everyone on the playground is having a great time, except the Jazz Fusion guy nursing a red wine on the park bench and complaining that you shouldn't use the monkey bars exactly like him haha.

Latest posts

')