Vai impressed

• Thread starter xzyryabx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
That was great!!

It's awesome to see someone like Vai have to stand there and think for a second "...., what should I do next?!"

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Haha, that put a smile on my face. Vai is always really expressive, and you can tell he loves playing with his fans.

That said, you can see he is (playfully) frustrated. It must be weird playing with someone who has studied your work so closely...like dueling with a doppelganger. Makes it hard to be yourself when the other guy makes it sound like YOU'RE the one ripping HIM off.

In the past Paul Gilbert has said something similar about fans who have mastered his style, namely that it kind of weirds him out even though it mostly impresses him. It's just something that 99% of us don't have to deal with and hardly think about, but having people try to emulate you so authentically must rouse odd feelings.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Super cool!
The guy clearly did his Vai homework in his practice sessions :)
Fun, and always musical. That's always the key factor.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Such a bizarre thing to watch - that dude is a beast on guitar! It's funny that you could actually hear Vai's loss of confidence in his playing - not something you see everyday.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
That was so cool! Loved that Vai just laughs and can't even play. Seems like such a cool dude.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
That must be a weird situation to be in, that guy has obviously spent a long time copying Vai's style (in a mirror, by the look of the stage moves copped from "Live at the Astoria"), what is Vai meant to do? Very strange.

chewpac

working up to 7...
Reaction score
Super cool. I've been a Vai fan for a while, and it's always been clear how much he appreciates talent and artistic expression.

That guy is a beast, and his reactions are awesome.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
That was awesome! To be able to jam with your idol and do it that well in front of an audience is inspiring. And Vai's reaction is priceless!

Now let's see Vai jam with Richie Allan!

tribalfusion

Reaction score
It was cute for the guy and the reactions are sweet from Steve but it's a bad thing to rip off another guy's playing as much as that guy did.

He must have been doing this for years without someone telling him it's an unhip thing to do. It's nice that he's a fan and has chops but beyond that the video makes me cringe a little.

That's a big difference between the jazz and fusion guys and the rock guys; if a copycat did that sort of thing in front of a Holdsworth, Scott Henderson or Pat Metheny it would be a lot more obviously embarrassing for everyone concerned and with good reason.

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
I don't really keep up with Vai or guitar stuff like this usually but Vai's reactions put a huge smile on my face. Great video.

')