Vai's Passion and Warfare, what do you think of it

• Thread starter tylershelburne
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i dig it. but, i think my favorite might be Flexable Leftovers.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
My favorite album by Vai. It's the first one I ever heard and i've always liked it. I also like Alien Love Secrets, I wish it was longer....

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
i dig it. but, i think my favorite might be Flexable Leftovers.

You're kidding right? I purchsed F-L for 9.99 at Best Buy one day, and that was about a year ago, and I must have listened to that CD ONCE (I believe I couldn't even finish), I did not like it at all...but hey I'll give it another listen, but I must agree, P&W is by far a more superior masterpiece, perhaps his greatest!

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
passion and warfare is perhaps the greatest instrumental guitar record of all time. it set the bar for all that was to come.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
P & W is a HUGE milestone in rock guitar history imho.
It kind of had the same impact on rock guitar players as Van Halen I and Hendrix "Electric Ladyland" did (in really different ways, of course).

After it came out, it's one of the few records out there that guitar players said: "ok, i got to sit down and work my ass off way harder now".

It just revealed much much more sonic possibilities of the instrument.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Yup I agree with y'all - a fantastic album.
the start through to For the Love of God is pure perfection.
Masterpiece indeed :yesway:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
the only downside to the album is 'I Would love to', imo. It sounds like the intro to an 80s workout video.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Definitely a "must own" for guitarists, but not something I listen to a lot. I prefer "Alien Love Secrets" for listenability, though I will say PAW is head and shoulders above most of his recent work, in my ears...

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
the only downside to the album is 'I Would love to', imo. It sounds like the intro to an 80s workout video.

:funny:
I still like that song though. What I really like is The Animal, I love that groove. :agreed:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think i might have listened to P&W all the way through... maybe twice. I listened to FTLOG a bit more, but i couldn't listen to the rest of it, really. I just didn't like it. I think i sold it at a garage sale for $2 a couple of years ago. And that's the only Vai album i've ever bought.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I still like The Ultra Zone, it's a little weird but his playing is superb. :yesway:

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe no one has braught up Fire Garden yet!

Yes, I would consider P&W to be probably his best work. But I've always thought that Fire Garden was his best composing/producing effort.

Honestly I've used P&W as a benchmark lately telling people that Guthrie Govan's Erotic Cakes is the best instrumental guitar album since.:metal:

BigM555

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a big Ultra Zone fan, also. P&W is a magnificent album, but I sorta ODed on it when it came out and don't listen to it much anymore.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe no one has braught up Fire Garden yet!

Yes, I would consider P&W to be probably his best work. But I've always thought that Fire Garden was his best composing/producing effort.

Honestly I've used P&W as a benchmark lately telling people that Guthrie Govan's Erotic Cakes is the best instrumental guitar album since.:metal:

BigM555
:agreed: Fire Garden is good too.

')