Valveking Problem T_T

• Thread starter 777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
right ive ben tryin to dial in a smooth tone on my VK but it keeps sounding the same sterile tone whatever i do, its like a snappish kinda tone off high strings [G-b-e] i think it might be the LACK of vai style smoothness of the 707's anyone here have the same problem with the Valveking ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
what's your EQ? what gear are you using?

nordhauser06

Reaction score
Yeah I have notice the same thing. My other guitarist has this thing and can't seem to pull it off. I'm as interested as you are on this one. ;)

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
my EQ is Resonance 4 pres 4 Bass 7 mids 7-8 treb 4.5

Guitar------>Amp

Nordhauser06 does your gui9tarist have Emgs? because if he dosent im really fucked...

nordhauser06

Reaction score
Nordhauser06 does your gui9tarist have Emgs? because if he dosent im really fucked...

No he doesn't. In one of his axes he has EMG HZs, but those don't count in my book. He boosts his tone with an EQ pedal though and it helps a wee bit. I think it's just the amp my man.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
try presence at 2, resonance at 7, EQ all at 5.

what's the gain at? keep it low and NO gain boost.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
the Gain is at 4-5 with boost, without the boost theres about 1/2 that much gain at 9-10

ill try it ....

how theh ell did i miss this flaw at the store....

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
could be that it said "all tube" and this wow'd you - not all tube amps are created equal.

go test out a peavey bandit if you're not satisfied w/ the VK.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
could be that it said "all tube" and this wow'd you - not all tube amps are created equal.

go test out a peavey bandit if you're not satisfied w/ the VK.

i went into the shop twice and played it for like 1 1/2 hours and still missed it .... i dont know how ....

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
maybe it does sound good, just not to you? i dunno.

either way, no gain boost. :squint:

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
ive tried tweaking the settings to no avail it still sounds as if theres a snap off the note on higher frets which i dont like atall, my epi sg special sounds better than my 7 through it much clearer and defined yet still with a small snap.... i dont know why maybe my electronics are fudged up...

thedonutman

Reaction score
I've played through my friend's valveking a few times before, and I've noticed the same thing. Its more "crunch" than "smooth" even with loads of gain. I guess its just the way the amp is voiced?

(his guitar is a Schecter Hellraiser with the 81/85 set)

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
is this a combo or a head? regardless of which it is, try some different speakers, preferably with a higher power handling so you won't get as much speaker breakup, this should give you a smoother overall sound if that's what your going for.

also. have you tried using a tube screamer with it? if set right, a lower gain vintage style one like the Ibanez TS808 or Maxon VOP9 can smooth out your sound.

running your EMGs at 18v (if you don't already) tames a little of the harshness they have a 9v.

EDIT: playstopause beat me to the speaker suggestion.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
New tubes and speakers will help out a little bit, but its not going to change the voicing of the amp. I owned the same amp, and no matter what I did, I could not get it to sound how I wanted it too. I boosted it and ran it into a Mesa Recto cab w/ V30's, and I use dimarzios, and it still had that strange voicing.

I know thats probably not what you want to hear, and that some people like this amp, but I personally do not like it at all. I hate to sound like the Valveking nazi, but I recommend you do what I did and sell it for something that you will enjoy more.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
i have it set at
presence - 4
resenance - 5
t - 4
m - 4.5
b - 5
gain - 5
gain boost ON

and cus i use my gt8 i have a small gain boost before i go into my VK and tightens up the sound really nicly and gets rid of that flaky snappyness sorta sounds u were tryin to get rid off

works for me :yesway:

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
ive put it up FS on an add paper here in ireland i plan to pay off my flights to germany for wacken and convert my 1527 to dimarzios with a pickguard with the money

hopefully it sells

Mamoulian

Reaction score
I don´t know about the valveking, but that topic aside I had pretty good success in killing the snap and twang on my 7620 by changing from D`Addario strings to GHS Boomers. Maybe it´s worth a try.

All the best

')