• Laney Ironheart

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Egnater Armageddon

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Marshall TSL100

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi guys, first-time poster here. You guys probably get sick of these threads, but I'm really horrible about decision making when it comes to amps because I can't try them out in person (no nearby music stores that carry what I want), and I need some advice from experienced people. I'm looking for a new tube head. I'm playing progressive/"tech" death metal. I need something that can get GREAT cleans, GREAT gain voicing (while retaining chord clarity) and everywhere in between. I need to be able to go from jazz to brutal. Also, RELIABILITY is important.

I currently have a modded Peavey 6505+. It's a great sounding amp, but has limited versatility and the distortion just sounds too raw and pissed off for what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, I want a lot of (clear) gain, but I'm looking for a smoother, more refined sound. And, quite frankly I'm just kind of bored with the Peavey and want to get into nicer gear.

My budget is around $800 cash, but I can finance up to $1000 on eBay and up to $2000 on Sweetwater. So anything over $1000 would have to be new. Up to $1000 would be used.

The amps I'm considering are (in no particular order):
Mesa Dual Rectifier 3-channel
Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage 2
Laney VH100R
Laney Ironheart
Egnater Armageddon
Marshall TSL100

Please give your opinions on this selection, and feel free to suggest others as well!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Underworld

Reaction score
EVH 5150 III 50 watts. This is what we use for my prog death band. Can be had new or used.

Also, the VH100R is a strong contenter, granted you can find one used!

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Used Mesa Boogie combo amps are the way to go, the bigger the better! :cool: Why? Because few people want to deal with moving a 100 lbs 2x12 combo amp around which in turn drives the price down. If you can put up with the weight, you would be surprised how far $800 - $1000 can go. ;)

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I have the Vengeance, which is the 2ch little brother of the Armageddon, and that gets my vote. I can go from jazz to brutal just like that, and the option of a third channel rules.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Used Mesa Boogie combo amps are the way to go, the bigger the better! :cool: Why? Because few people want to deal with moving a 100 lbs 2x12 combo amp around which in turn drives the price down. If you can put up with the weight, you would be surprised how far $800 - $1000 can go. ;)

This. Throw in a hand truck for ~40 and you'll have a great amp at an awesome price, and the weight suddenly isn't an issue.

Edit: Haven't tried the VH100R, Egnater or Marshall, but if you're looking for a smooth distorted sound with amazing versatility to go with it, that can be found for cheap used, the Rectifier would be my go-to. They're a classic for progressive/extreme bands and will go anywhere from "tots brutz metulz" to country twang. You have to not want the Recto sound for it to not be something to consider.

The Ironheart is another great choice, while I haven't had a ton of time to play with it but there were definetly a ton of sounds in there. The one thing that would keep me from recommending it from you is that it is very much Laney's version of the 515X/6505/6505+ thing. Not the same, but definetly in the same ballpark. On the other hand, that thing seemed rugged as Fvck and had evil red lights :hbang:

Genome

Reaction score
Sounds like the Boogie Mark IV or V would be a perfect fit. I'm not sure how much they go for used in your country however.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Sounds like the Boogie Mark IV or V would be a perfect fit. I'm not sure how much they go for used in your country however.

Would've thrown this in the ring, but Mark IV's start at around 1300+ for the combo version here, and you're lucky to see a V for sale used.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Would've thrown this in the ring, but Mark IV's start at around 1300+ for the combo version here, and you're lucky to see a V for sale used.

I've seen the combos down at 1100/1200 sometimes, so it's worth keeping an eye out.

bhakan

Reaction score
This. In the '80s and '90s Mesa made a whole variety of amps in a similar vein to the Mark series that never really caught on and can be found cheap, but absolutely kick ass. Mesa .50 Calibers, DC-5s, Mark III's, Nomads, etc can all be found easily within your budget and fit your description perfectly. Really clear, tight gain that can get really aggressive as well as smooth, and great clean channels. The only problem is a lot of them have shared controls that can make it tricky to balance a great clean with a great drive sound, but it can be done with some tweaking.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Refined 6505, you say? Cleans, blues, and tech death with clarity you say?

EVH 5150III for sure! I'd go with a used 100 watt if you need versatility in a live setting, otherwise the 50 watt sounds just as good and has all of the same sounds available, but you essentially have two channels and a crunch mode like on the 6505+.

seven-eleven

Reaction score
My vote is for the Armageddon, I use one with a pod hd pro for effects and it slays takes a little bit of time to dial in but we'll worth it.

Every channel sounds fantastic with so many options to create the tone your looking for.

I use it for my prog death band and it really does slay.

Phantom

Reaction score
Out of the options listed, I'd say the the Dual Rec. You can't go wrong with it. Personal opinion, the Mark series. I have a V and I love that thing (I switched from the recto to a mark).

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your suggestions, please keep them coming!

As far as the Mesa Mark amps go, the MkV is one of my dream amps. If I owned that and a Bogner Ecstasy, my life would be complete. Unfortunately, I can't even find an MkIII in my price range, let alone a IV or a V. I am seriously considering a Recto. I really like the "chunk" in its voicing.

As far as the Nomad, DC, etc. I'm interested in these! I didn't know they were comparable to the Mark series. If I can find one of these in a 100w head version with independent EQ, it will definitely be heavily considered. The whole combo thing is a good idea, I know. But I just can't bring myself to do it. I need a head.

As far as the EVH, I've played one. It sounded good and is a contender. If I get one, it'll be the 100w for the added headroom and independent EQ.

For the ENGLs, I've never heard one in person, but from the sound clips I've heard, they have this "digital" sounding quality that I can't get down with. I'm looking for something a bit more organic. And they're way, way out of my price range anyway. I know their clean channels are supposed to be awesome though.

For the Marshall, it seems like the TSL gets a bad rap, but I think it sounds good and they can be had for cheap. I'm also considering the 2-channel JVM. I know I mentioned that I'm playing tech-death, and the EL-34 Brit sound probably isn't conducive to that style, but I absolutely love that mid-rangey Marshall sound. The type of tones that I'm into are that of Opeth and Mastodon (why I'm drawn to the Laney). The only thing that holds me back from a British EL-34 amp is its ability to sound good with the "techy", articulate single note stuff. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I don't know because I can't test them out (my local GC has the DSL100 but it's not the same as the others). The music that I'm going for is sort of a cross between Opeth and Fallujah. If the VH100R, TSL or JVM can handle this, please let me know because that'll probably make up my mind!

And for the Egnater, I'm very, very seriously considering this amp. The features are insane (MIDI, ability to take all tubes and sounds great). The only thing that would hold me back is their reliability, as I've heard some horror stories. If somebody can testify for their reliability, I'm all ears!

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your suggestions, please keep them coming!

As far as the Mesa Mark amps go, the MkV is one of my dream amps. If I owned that and a Bogner Ecstasy, my life would be complete. Unfortunately, I can't even find an MkIII in my price range, let alone a IV or a V. I am seriously considering a Recto. I really like the "chunk" in its voicing.

As far as the Nomad, DC, etc. I'm interested in these! I didn't know they were comparable to the Mark series. If I can find one of these in a 100w head version with independent EQ, it will definitely be heavily considered. The whole combo thing is a good idea, I know. But I just can't bring myself to do it. I need a head.

As far as the EVH, I've played one. It sounded good and is a contender. If I get one, it'll be the 100w for the added headroom and independent EQ.

For the ENGLs, I've never heard one in person, but from the sound clips I've heard, they have this "digital" sounding quality that I can't get down with. I'm looking for something a bit more organic. And they're way, way out of my price range anyway. I know their clean channels are supposed to be awesome though.

For the Marshall, it seems like the TSL gets a bad rap, but I think it sounds good and they can be had for cheap. I'm also considering the 2-channel JVM. I know I mentioned that I'm playing tech-death, and the EL-34 Brit sound probably isn't conducive to that style, but I absolutely love that mid-rangey Marshall sound. The type of tones that I'm into are that of Opeth and Mastodon (why I'm drawn to the Laney). The only thing that holds me back from a British EL-34 amp is its ability to sound good with the "techy", articulate single note stuff. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I don't know because I can't test them out (my local GC has the DSL100 but it's not the same as the others). The music that I'm going for is sort of a cross between Opeth and Fallujah. If the VH100R, TSL or JVM can handle this, please let me know because that'll probably make up my mind!

And for the Egnater, I'm very, very seriously considering this amp. The features are insane (MIDI, ability to take all tubes and sounds great). The only thing that would hold me back is their reliability, as I've heard some horror stories. If somebody can testify for their reliability, I'm all ears!