Very annoying tail sound when blocking strings with the left hand [Samples inside]

• Thread starter Innervision
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Innervision

Reaction score
Hi,

It's been some time since I played on my PRS Custom 24, and I just noticed that when I play on a high gain amp, I play a chord and then block the strings from vibrating with my left hand, there is a very annoying trail sound coming from I-don't-know-what.

My Jackson doesn't do this annoying sound as you can hear on these 2 clips (the palm muted E & F chords):
PRS vs Jackson by PODxt on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

If you have any idea, thanks for letting me know, I will have to record some guitars soon and I would like to use the PRS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Innervision

Reaction score

jinxist

Reaction score
I've been experiencing something like this myself. I just bought a brand new SLS Blackjack with the blackouts. I find when I try to do palm mutes it (trying my best to describe this) seems like its too "sensitive" and picks up the ringing from the other muted strings or something.

MrPowers

Reaction score
My Les Paul does this too. I'm pretty sure its actually coming from the strings between the tuners and the nut. Thats where it is on my guitar.
If you cover all the strings behind the nut with one finger and palm mute some open chords it will tell you for sure. I haven't gotten around to remedying this problem yet but I know most people do it by simply cutting a little piece of foam and putting it between the strings and the headstock right behind the nut.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
It's from the strings between the tuner and the nut, and in the case of TOMs like the Blackjack SLS, the strings between the bridge and the body. What I do is block the strings between the nut and the tuning heads with a small piece of styrofoam, and for the TOM I wrap a cloth around it for now. There's this great product on the rise that solves the issue, as well The Jimmy Clip - Tighten Up Your Sound by James Robbins — Kickstarter

:) hope this helps. You can also wrap duct tape around your strings, or something. I find styrofoam or anything like that looks the best. I got grey to match my satin black SLS and it looks kinda cool tbh :)

553300_416740141700856_179100740_n.jpg

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
a) you can see pros in the studio taping/foaming/etc all the time (best example I can think of is "some kinda monster KH" but it's just off the top of my head)
b) I love that jimmy clip! But er, at 85 bucks of 7000 needed......guessing not going to see it?

Innervision

Reaction score
Thanks for the leads guys, but I think it's totally unacceptable to have a problem like this on a 3000$ guitar where a 600$ one doesn't have it.
wumalpy.gif

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the leads guys, but I think it's totally unacceptable to have a problem like this on a 3000$ guitar where a 600$ one doesn't have it.
wumalpy.gif

it has nothing to do with the quality of the guitar. if the nut is cut tight enought for your strings, you won't get this sort of string reverberation. the same is true for a locking nut, obviously.

jinxist

Reaction score
So if the string gauge was tighter in the nut would it potentially eliminate this? I just received my blackjack and it still has the original stock strings (ernie balls) but I have no idea what the gauge on them are. Does anyone know what they usually come with? a 58 or something maybe? I have a pack of D'Addario's that are 60 on hand, but I wanted to wear down the stock strings first. Or should I just put the 60s on?

BTW - Sevenstring.org is amazing. I've only owned a seven stringer for about 1 week now and I've already felt really welcome here and found out a TONN of information through this community!

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
On the PRS if it's got a trem it's also not impossible for it to be the springs in the claw cavity, it may not be but they can add a little extra noise if you're looking to tighten up everything tone wise you may also wanna dampen them, some people use tissue paper, others use rubber shoved down the spring, heck I've even seen tape used to this effect. You can also buy silent springs, but that's a las :)

The suggestions about dampening the strings between the nut and tuners, and bridge and string through part are definitely the most likely causes.

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
Had that problem suddenly with ALL my guitars, all have TOM bridges but one is also string-thru. Here's what I did:

1.- Raise the bridge a little on all guitars, didn't work much and I had to intonate again.
2.- Stuck a piece of foam cut out from a Scotchbrite sponge behind the nut, work somewaht but I could still here it.
3.- Got me some hobbyist/artsy foam, and proceeded to cut stripes and stack them behind the nut and right by the ferrules on the string-thru, after 2 layers of foam the tail is gone.

Innervision

Reaction score
Yep, I think it's the springs. I'll try what's suggested in this vid:

MrPowers

Reaction score
Like they said its a very simple fix. Either the trem springs or my original thought of behind the nut. Don't let it ruin an amazing guitar for you. This is a pretty normal thing no matter how much you spend on a guitar!

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
Forgot about springs :p I used to have a Jackson when I played 6 strings, and the spring noise drove me nuts. What I did was fine some plastic tubing that fit inside of the springs and cut some. It stopped the noise dead. What you could also do is probably wrap the springs in clothe individually, that might help stop the reverberation as well.

I play a lot of stop and go metal so any excess noise drives me nuts. I ditched floyds all together because of this, and the super intensive maintenance lol.

Good luck!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
On the PRS if it's got a trem it's also not impossible for it to be the springs in the claw cavity...

My first thought too. This has nothing to do with the cost of a guitar, it's entirely a product of the design. The good news is it's an easy fix. You can do whjat's in the video, you can fold up a square of paper towel and stuff it behind the springs, or what I've been doing lately is using small amounts of heat shrink tubing on my springs, which seems to do the trick too.

')