Vh-140c tight enough w/out boost?

• Thread starter Bearitone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Is it?
Also, why are the combos so much cheaper than the heads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

inhuman666

Reaction score
From my experience, it is tight enough. You may need a boost for solos.

My setup includes EMG pups ands a 2x12 cab with V30s

Bearitone

Reaction score
From my experience, it is tight enough. You may need a boost for solos.

My setup includes EMG pups ands a 2x12 cab with V30s

Nice. I ask because I’m thinking of consolidating as much of my rig as i can into a combo.

I don’t think there’s another 212 combo in existence with a tight brutal highgain channel, clean channel, built in reverb and chorus, and a stereo effects loop.

Do you play more modern metal? I’m wondering why i don’t see many “djent” guys using this amp. I know the VH140c is voiced a little older (maybe not vintage) but, its tighter than most amps and supposedly cheap

Last edited:

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I’ve got a preamp copy of it from PlxFx, thing is brutal as fuck. No need for a boost.
I've got the S&K VHD and was wondering if it would be applicable since the preamp is the same. The boost isn't necessary, but I think it sounds better with one personally. Although I'm one of those people that thinks everything sounds better with a boost.

I'd say for any kind of more modern tones I'd want to boost the VHD.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I've got the S&K VHD and was wondering if it would be applicable since the preamp is the same. The boost isn't necessary, but I think it sounds better with one personally. Although I'm one of those people that thinks everything sounds better with a boost.

I'd say for any kind of more modern tones I'd want to boost the VHD.

So far i liked literally every amp I’ve tried more with a boost except the Mesa Mark IV. BUT, the Mark IV is the only amp I’ve tried that has a “reputation” of being tight on its own. I’ve yet to try anything from Fryette, KSR, or. Revv. I was hoping the VH would share that characteristic of not-needing-a-boost based on its reputation of being tight (with the bonus of it being way cheaper than any of the previously mentioned brands)

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
As far as I understand they tend to sound better with a sonic maximizer, parametric or tube eq in the loop

Also if you can’t find a head a crate gx130c is the same thing

What I want to know is what Vogg used with his Excalibur on Nihility through Organic Hallucinosis

wakjob

Reaction score
Aaannndd i just bought a VH140c combo for $100. Cant believe i got this lucky.

Damn, that was quick! :lol:

I have a Crate g130c XL head, I think it's too saturated to do that modern 1.6k Hz 'djent' thing to answer your other question.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Damn, that was quick! :lol:

I have a Crate g130c XL head, I think it's too saturated to do that modern 1.6k Hz 'djent' thing to answer your other question.

you know what’s funny is i consider the stuff i like to play djenty but, never dug the low gain sort of “toska” style tones i hear some guys get. I tend to enjoy hotter pickups, and more compressed/saturated amps.

I hope i can get this thing to work for me though. If not, I’m not opposed to modding it.

Speaking of, are there any good Vh140c mods out there?

Bearitone

Reaction score
Damn. I sold my head to someone in Portugal for almost $450 + shipping...$100 seems like a steal.

Guitar Center used ;)
They had it listed as a bass amp lol

My expectations aren’t too high though. The last two amps i got from guitar center used had some serious issues. I’m expecting to have to get it repaired.

Which is fine by me. I’d rather get a $100 beater and put $400 of repairs into than buy a $500 one that works fine because then i know any replacement parts are brand new, and i have a receipt/warranty on the replaced parts depending on where i go to get it fixed.

Gunna give it some tan grill cloth and some of these brutalist knobs
https://www.google.com/amp/s/lovemyswitches.com/amp/brutalist-knob-17-x-18mm/
like i see on the S&K VHD

Last edited:

Latest posts

')