VHT Pittbull UL Thoughts/Photos

• Thread starter zimbloth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
A week or two ago I literally woke up thinking about how much I loved my ENGL Fireball head, that same night I lucked out and picked up a VHT Pittbull UL. I still have warm sentiments for my ENGL, but when I A/B'd the two, I felt like tossing it through a window. That's just how great this amp is. I've never played the EL34 model, but my Ultralead w/ KT88s is just pure bliss.

Random thoughts:

-Features are out of this world, and all are usable. There is almost no unusable range for the various controls. You can max out or zero out basically any control and you will still get an amazing tone (well maybe except cutting all the mids out). Sometimes I play with a lot of treble/presence, sounds great, obviously bright but never harsh. I've also played it with the treble set low and it still had plenty of attack but just had a smoother sound. I was amazed the attack remained nearly completely in-tact even with the treble at 25%. Likewise, the bass or depth controls never get to a level where it turns into mud or flub.

-The 6 band EQ is incredible. Right now I just keep most things about neutral, I boost the 100hz a few dB, 250hz neutral, 600hz cut slightly (eliminates some of the V30 unpleasantries bigtime), 1.2khz neutral. 2.3khz neutral/tiny boost, 5khz healthy boost. With the EQ disengaged via the footswitch, it still sounds great, but man it really helps.

-Being able to choose from a parallel or serial loop is really cool. There is also an "Edge" button which according to VHT adds some bite/gain only on higher frequencies. It's subtle but it does sound cool.

-It has ancient tubes, at least 4-5 years old. I can't imagine this thing when I retube it and GC gets the Black Shadows we ordered in. This is the first amp that 100% tames a Mesa 4x12 cab loaded with v30s, no harsh 'death zone' to speak of. This amp is just so warm, musical, complex and brutal.

-The ENGL was tight and had great tone, but its like 2D compared to what's offered here. I honestly had no idea an amp this good existed, I tried just about everything else and in my opinion nothing comes close.

-For the record I still use an Ibanez TS808 in front of it. So far I've played my Rico Jr Vixen 7 Custom w/ the Duncan Invader and my ESP SC607B w/ the EMG 81-7s through it, they both sound phenominal but the Invader sounds better. That pickup sounds like ass with some amps but not with this thing. I'm looking forward to trying it with more Duncans and DiMarzio pickups.

Anyways, I'm just so elated with this thing, I wish everyone could feel this way about their gear. If I was rich I'd buy all of you guys one just because. Here are some pics. Peace.

VHT1.jpg

VHT3.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goth_fiend

Reaction score
I would seriously kill for either of those amps, very much looking forward to getting myself a decent tube amp, this rack has got to go

Shaman

Reaction score
I have always wanted to try one out, and now I want to try one out even more!

That review was great :yesway:

And oh, congrats :bowdown:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Considering how awesome you make it sound, why does the Unearth III's tone suck so bad :lol: ... actually I think that whole cd just sounds bad, so nevermind :lol:

congrats on liking it though, lol

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Very cool... however:

This thread is useless without clips!
:hmmm::hmmm:

I'm interested in hearing this amp as I tried getting clips on the VHT board and half of them that people were like "OH THIS IS KILLER!!!" are links that have been removed/deleted from wherever they were stored. :wallbash:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Considering how awesome you make it sound, why does the Unearth III's tone suck so bad :lol: ... actually I think that whole cd just sounds bad, so nevermind :lol:

congrats on liking it though, lol

That record is not made with Pittbull UL I believe. I know -for a fact- that there's 5150s on there, but not sure what else. Also the VHT they use is the "Deliverance" model. Also, perhaps they scoop the mids or the EMG 707s sound bland with it. Who knows. Either way you're kind of silly for even making that point :lol:

since you've tried a lot... how is the VHT compared to the mesa triple recto?

I wouldn't even know where to start on that one. I'll have to get back to you on that. They're both good amps, very different sounds is all I can say for now.

I'm interested in hearing this amp as I tried getting clips on the VHT board and half of them that people were like "OH THIS IS KILLER!!!" are links that have been removed/deleted from wherever they were stored. :wallbash:

Sorry but clips in general are fairly useless. I've yet to hear any web clips for any amp, even ones I know I love in person, that sound very good. We're about to record our CD so you can hear it in action then :)

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score

I've heard horrible recordings made with some of the best amps in the world, and I've heard amazing recordings made with complete junk. You can't really judge an amp by someone else's settings, playing, guitar, micing, recording, mixing, and mastering. It is just way too many factors.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That record is not made with Pittbull UL I believe. I know -for a fact- that there's 5150s on there, but not sure what else. Also the VHT they use is the "Deliverance" model. Also, perhaps they scoop the mids or the EMG 707s sound bland with it. Who knows. Either way you're kind of silly for even making that point :lol:
not really, it's a valid point, they've been the same way as you using practically every amp every and the tone on their last few records was much better.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i like the latest tone the best. im not a huge fan of the tone as i am of other bands, but it suits them.

i reeeeeeeeeally want to try out a UL now.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
No, your point was not valid. You made a comment about my amp, they don't use that amp on their record. As Noodles pointed out its pointless anyways.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
looks cool. and yes, i feel that way about my Nomad :D

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
back on topic...invader through the vht...:yesway: ?

Yes, amazing. The Invader is in an alder, neck-thru maple, ebony fb guitar, which is really one of the only configurations that's well suited for it, because its an extremely growly fat pickup with a cool treble response. It can be muddy through some guitars/amps, but not this. The VHT is so tight, articulate and warm that it sounds amazing through it. It sounded great through the ENGL too though... but this is even better. I'm really looking forward to trying out the JB with it next.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
aha awesome, I was considering an Invader for my Moser (alder/maple neckthru with rosewood board), which I'm hoping will add a little bass to the ENGL/Rocktron rig, sounds good, but quite trebly and uhm...I think fragile suits my tone at times...just lacks some of that real thunder...if that makes any sense

...anyway, I'm babbling, nice score...thanks for the GAS

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Invader is a great pickup. People generally badmouth it without having played it in an alder/maple/ebony setup or don't use a Tube Screamer or something to tighten up the sound. The Invader in my setup has absolutely the most menacing tone I've ever heard. There might be some better pickups out there, but this one is fantastic.

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
First off, :metal:

Secondly, KT88?

Does it really blow the ENGL away that bad?

Also, clips! :evil:

THE VILE

Deafening Silence
Reaction score

Adam Dutkiewicz > Terry Date, as far as Unearth records go.

Latest posts

')