VHT Pittbull UL Thoughts/Photos

• Thread starter zimbloth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
Having played both, I would agree with that statement.

Cool cool.:metal: Ive played the VHT, absolutely blown away. Never played, let alone seen any kind of ENGL. Just want to make sure Im not missing out on anything.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, the ENGL is great and it has its own signature sound. The best thing I can say is, yes it really does blow it away. Once again, it's like going from 2D to 3D. The VHT just has mountains of complex tone and harmonic qualities that the ENGL or really any amp I've ever played comparitively does not. Maybe it has something to do with those KT88 tubes I don't know. In addition to the 12AX7 pre-amp tubes, it also has some random tube in there I've never heard of, like 12AU7 or something like that. No idea what that does.

I don't know, I could analyze things forever, I just love this amp.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I seriously doubt it is the KT88's. I've played Pittbulls with 6L6's and EL-34's, and they all sound good. What it comes down to is Engl is more in the league of Peavey and Marshall, while VHT builds expensive, high quality amps, like Bogner and Mesa/Boogie.

The 12AU7 is probably the phase inverter.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I see. I'm sure the KT88s do add something cool the sound though, although I'm sure it sounds great with the other tubes too.

I actually played a Bogner Ubershall recently and was left VERY unimpressed. Much like the Framus Cobra. I'm sure some will disagre but I think the VHT is a lot better. This is definitely my favorite amp of all-time, followed by the TriAxis/2:90 setup and then the ENGL/5150/Etc. I will say I've never played a Road King though.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yes. I always thought the TriAxis setup I had was better, I only really parted with it because I got a ton of cash for it, almost triple what I paid for the ENGL. The ENGL was better for what we do in my band though, but I always preferred the tone of the TriAxis/2:90. Thing is, I didn't know the glory of Tube Screamers when I had the Mesa... nor did I have Black Shadows. I'm pretty sure if I had what I had now with that rig, I'd probably like it close to as much as I like the VHT.... but I have no regrets :)

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
that's cool, to be honest I'd expect a triaxis rig to smoke most things :p

nice to see you're happy anyway

...this week :D

6077dino

Reaction score
My friend bought a VHT classic few months ago. That thing sounded just way better than anything prior that. Now I´m a proud owner of two VHT pittbull One Hundred heads. It is basicly same as ultra lead, it just has two KT88 in the power amp section. It is still a 100w head.

VHT is just so clear sounding and tight!

bulb

Reaction score
see this is why i own a vht clx (el34 ultralead hehe) AND an engl powerball!
best of both worlds!!

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn I've got to try one of these.
Nick, When my Carvin gets here we need to get together :cool:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Damn I've got to try one of these.
Nick, When my Carvin gets here we need to get together :cool:

Okay man :)

see this is why i own a vht clx (el34 ultralead hehe) AND an engl powerball!
best of both worlds!!

IMO The Pittbull UL is already the best of both worlds in one package :)

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
That record is not made with Pittbull UL I believe. I know -for a fact- that there's 5150s on there, but not sure what else. Also the VHT they use is the "Deliverance" model. Also, perhaps they scoop the mids or the EMG 707s sound bland with it. Who knows. Either way you're kind of silly for even making that point :lol:

No, he's right.

I talked to Ken after I saw them last year, and asked him specifically about it - it was an Ultra Lead, with some odd overdubs with the 5150.

Oncoming Storm was all 5150, though.

Richardscuro

Reaction score
I tried an Ultra Lead and was amazed! It sounded unbelievable. It had the tightest low end I had ever heard in a tube amp. Their only downfall is that they are very expensive, atleast in my opinion.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
They are expensive. I never would have been able to afford it if it wasnt over half off new price.

bulb

Reaction score
Okay man :)

IMO The Pittbull UL is already the best of both worlds in one package :)
haha the vht can do metal very well, but imho the powerball does it best, it is by far the djentiest amp out there, the vht's djent isnt as metallic or edgy sounding, but i think as far as every other style of music it pwns the powerball. It has a super warm and friendly clean, a crunch that goes from that warm clean to metal and an oh so sweet lead voicing, one hell of an unforgiving amp tho, but it sounds godly with a tubescreamer boosting it!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
haha the vht can do metal very well, but imho the powerball does it best, it is by far the djentiest amp out there, the vht's djent isnt as metallic or edgy sounding, but i think as far as every other style of music it pwns the powerball. It has a super warm and friendly clean, a crunch that goes from that warm clean to metal and an oh so sweet lead voicing, one hell of an unforgiving amp tho, but it sounds godly with a tubescreamer boosting it!

I don't like 'djenty' so there lies our differences ;) I like my attack/palm mutes to be thick crunchy heavy palm mutes, but not in the metallic/djenty way. I agree for those stylings the ENGL is the best. I like the tone on your songs but its not my style personally :) When I said it had both of the best worlds, I meant that its super warm and thick, yet also has great attack and is SUPER tight like an ENGL.

Powerball is great, as is the VHT. It must be awesome having both :yesway:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
is it wrong that im still drooling?

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, you are some gear Maniac, Zim!

Going to sell the Fireball now?