VHT Pittbull UL Thoughts/Photos

• Thread starter zimbloth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks dude. Im going CL most likely then, and that explains why I couldnt find a clean channel for the life of me when I gave it a test run. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I wouldnt say the KT88s get -no- saturation. Theyre also warmer than EL34s are typically. But otherwise good info :yesway::

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
Steve Fryette specifically used the KT88's because of their big bottom end and tons of headroom. The saturation of hard-driven KT88/6550-style tube is not very pleasant sounding and would require a hotplate or an amp to be turned up at deafening volumes. Push the Master Volume on your UL past 2 o'clock and you'll see what I mean.

The UL and Deliverance series, from what I understand, have nearly the name preamp design. The difference in the two is really in the power amp stage (output transformer, power transformer, driver stage, etc). How does this translate to tone? The two amps "feel" differently, with the Deliverance having a little bit more perceived "sag" when the power section is pushed hard (especially on the D60H). For some excellent examples of this "sag", check out Ed DeGenaro's clips of his D60H.

The VHT's are designed to saturate a bit differently, and the design of the Deliverance series was used to showcase this. To quote Mr. Fryette himself: "...KT88s were selected for two reasons. First to demonstrate that output saturation and distortion harmonics are much more a function of transformer and output stage design than tube type. In other words, they don't have to be EL34s the get that kind of voicing. And secondly they are great for fat clean sounds."

Sorry, guys. I'm addicted to VHT amps and could talk about them all day.

Just a small aside on the difference between medium powered tubes (EL34, E34L, KT77) and high powered tubes (KT88, KT90, 6550): I owned a JCM800 about a year ago that came with EL34's. The sound had that beautiful warmth when pushed hard. Then I decided to imitate Zakk Wylde's setup and have the amp modified for 6550's, and it ruined the sound for me. The amp stayed tighter for heavy riffing and would clean up better with the guitar's volume knob, but lost that "vintage" feel.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's cool man, did not know that. All I know is I :wub: my UL :)

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
I heard VHT Deliverance amps for the first time at a gig i played recently (Thy Will Be Done were playing em i think)
Even those sound wicked.... blew away any boogies etc ive ever heard...

My mouth waters over the UL... i hope to find one used this summer otherwise i wont be able to get it

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the ENGL is great and it has its own signature sound. The best thing I can say is, yes it really does blow it away. Once again, it's like going from 2D to 3D. The VHT just has mountains of complex tone and harmonic qualities that the ENGL or really any amp I've ever played comparitively does not.

I actually played a Bogner Ubershall recently and was left VERY unimpressed. Much like the Framus Cobra.

Well Zim, your review of the VHT just covered two amps I didn't get to try out for myself. And if the VHT > ENGL and Framus, then I didn't miss anything. Good to know.

I will say I've never played a Road King though.

Or an H&K TriAmp ;) Either of these places close to you?

Crossroads Music
128 Rockland Rd
HANOVER, MA 02339
Phone: (781) 826-1619

Guitar Shelter
270 Main Street
Buzzards Bay, MA 02532
Phone: (508) 743-0663
gtrshelter@aol.com
www.guitarshelter.com

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
My VHT sounds unholy, I have no desire to try out any other amps at this point. Especially after the tube change I just made. Thanks though.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh c'mon dude! LOL If you're anything like me, you wanna try out anything and everything. Just to know.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh c'mon dude! LOL If you're anything like me, you wanna try out anything and everything. Just to know.

Yes I am like you, I usually do go out of my way to try everything out. I just am so content with the VHT that my interest in other amps is basically zero. If I saw the H&K in a store I'd check it out, but I'm not going to go out of my way to check it out. Isn't the new "Amon Amarth" done with that amp? I love that record but not so much the tone.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Dunno really. But have you heard Breaking Benjamin? They use TriAmps and I love their tone!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dunno really. But have you heard Breaking Benjamin? They use TriAmps and I love their tone!

No I'm not too familiar with that band. I'm sure H&K is good stuff, I've just found the perfect amp for me. I am interested to play a Triamp though, I'm sure I will someday.

')