Video Game Collecting/Your Latest Pickups

Reaction score
Well I grabbed Dark Souls Remastered and Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin for PS4 despite having bought those games on PC already a long time ago.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^ Update - took two of the NES consoles apart, and was able to bend the pins forward again so that they're pretty death-grip-y. I might have over-done it. But they both work now. The controller thing seems to have been the controllers themselves, I think. A different controller worked fine. I think all that old stuff just needs a really thorough cleaning, but generally speaking it works now.
That kind of stuff is what's keeping me from going any further with the physical Nintendo stuff. I was starting to get into it some years ago but the NES I have still kind of sucks even with replacing the 72 pin connector. I'd like to get a top loader but the actual Nintendo branded ones sell for far more than I'd care to pay.

That said, are the Gamerz/Old Skool/Yobo FX Twins any good?

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I don't typically collect video game stuff, but my wife and I went to Twitchcon with our nephew last month and there was a booth from a store in Seattle (Pink Gorilla Games i think?) that sold imported games and toys from Japan. Ended up scooping this for $10:

370603297_1088138352181581_484670720013833309_n.jpg

Kind of unnecessary since old consoles are region locked, but Banjo-Kazooie is the first game I have any memories of ever playing. It was the first game I had when my grandfather got me my N64 when I was really young, and it's still one of my favorite games to this day. Pretty stoked to have the JP copy of it, even if it's just something to put on my desk or something.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
old consoles are region locked
I think for N64 and older, they're locked only by physical blocks - you can take the 64 apart, remove the part that gets in the way, and it'll work fine. If I remember correctly. (Or take the cart out of the shell, and put it in a donor shell.)

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I think for N64 and older, they're locked only by physical blocks - you can take the 64 apart, remove the part that gets in the way, and it'll work fine. If I remember correctly. (Or take the cart out of the shell, and put it in a donor shell.)
fair enough. I have my old NA cartridge still so this is more just to have it anyway. I have my emulators set up on my steam deck, so that's generally where I end up playing most of my retro games anyway, since they don't always end up looking so good on a 4K tv.

wankerness

Reaction score
I see now that Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness appears to be going for 500ish dollars in good condition CIB. I might finally try selling that, though I am incredibly paranoid that I'll send it to someone, they'll ask for a refund, and they'll keep it cause Ebay has no protections for sellers for that scenario anymore. God, I hate ebay. I wish there was an alternative other than facebook marketplace. I'm not trying to sell it to rural wisconsin, i'd be lucky to get 20 dollars.

I'm thinking of getting one of those cartridges for N64 that is functionally a hardware ROM library for an actual N64 system, and selling off all my actual cartridges but keeping the system/controllers. I have bolstered the controller with one of those "Steelstick" mods and got a foreverpak 64 for a memory card.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I see now that Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness appears to be going for 500ish dollars in good condition CIB. I might finally try selling that, though I am incredibly paranoid that I'll send it to someone, they'll ask for a refund, and they'll keep it cause Ebay has no protections for sellers for that scenario anymore. God, I hate ebay. I wish there was an alternative other than facebook marketplace. I'm not trying to sell it to rural wisconsin, i'd be lucky to get 20 dollars.

I'm thinking of getting one of those cartridges for N64 that is functionally a hardware ROM library for an actual N64 system, and selling off all my actual cartridges but keeping the system/controllers. I have bolstered the controller with one of those "Steelstick" mods and got a foreverpak 64 for a memory card.
Have you tried Mercari?

wankerness

Reaction score
Never heard of it. Looking at their TOS, they appear to have way, WAY more protections for sellers than Ebay. I'm guessing the possible market is lower. But hey, maybe I'll start selling some of the cheaper games on here to get some feedback history.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Never heard of it. Looking at their TOS, they appear to have way, WAY more protections for sellers than Ebay. I'm guessing the possible market is lower. But hey, maybe I'll start selling some of the cheaper games on here to get some feedback history.
That's been my plan, just haven't done it yet lol

I have purchased from there and it was painless. They do have info on sellers if they have a lot of returns, in addition to feedback ratings. Might be an option for you if you have good luck with some lower value sales!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I am sure the Atari 2600 and a handful of games are still at my parents' house. I have a Nintendo NES (with original box) that was still in working order last time I played it. I also have a working Super NES still hooked up to my Sony 27" Trinitron WEGA flat screen CRT along with my Playstation 2 console.

I know there is an older Genesis, a GameCube, GameBoy Advance, and original Xbox in the house.

My PS3, Xbox 360, and Switched are hooked up to my HDTV. The 3DS, DS Lite, and PSP probably could use a recharge. And I have a ton of games still for all of those systems. I really need to downsize since so many of those are duplicate with digital downloads or Steam library PC games now.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sony 27" Trinitron WEGA flat screen CRT
Those were great tv's but also fuck those tv's to hell and back. I moved one of those that was a 32" or 36" to a 3rd floor apartment with no elevator. Fucked my back up for a week. I swear it was at least 300 lbs or more.... I had moved heavy TV and furniture but this was on another level.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Yeah, that is why I did the 27" full instead of the 32" wide back in 2006. That TV looks wonderful for SNES and PS2 games though. It is great on any full screen DVDs too.

wankerness

Reaction score
I had to get rid of a 27" CRT a few years ago. I couldn't even lift the damn thing. I also have had to get rid of some old CRT monitors at work and even those like 14" ones are like 30 pounds or more. Screen technology advancements are probably the kind that have made my life the easiest in comparison to when I was a teenager. :p

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's pretty crazy lifting old monitors and tv's vs what we have now. I got a 58" TV recently and it weighs nothing... I'd have to knock a wall down to get a TV that size in my house if it was made the old tech!

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just added Lover's in a Dangerous Space Time and Blasphemous 1 & 2 for ps4 and 5.About to grab Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows of the Damned. I think after ps5 I'll just be scrounging for roms online. I used to be a die hard physical copy guy but playing all the old stuff and bathing in nastalgia has been a nice replacement for collecting

Latest posts

')