Video: tracking 7-string groove metal + Axe-FX (Red Seas Fire content)

• Thread starter -Nolly-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tr0n

djent n00b
Reaction score
If you're recording metal, I'd highly recommend getting the Mesa Recto cab IR set, you may not need the other cabs.

The only cab I've bought is the Orange PPC, but I think I'll give this cab a look now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
Sounds awesome,

offtopic question perhaps, just wondering are you the same Nolly that did a Blotted Science cover on a Blackmachine, saw it on youtube months ago I think. EDIT: Nevermind :p

-Nolly-

Reaction score
The only cab I've bought is the Orange PPC, but I think I'll give this cab a look now.

I definitely recommend the Mesa, I haven't got much that I like from the Orange cab IRs.

Drop A

Nolly, you should let me reamp some tracks for you through a real 5150 and recto cab sometime. Could turn out awesome, and I'd love to help out.

Very cool of you to offer Josh, definitely something to consider when we are recording the final tracks :yesway:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
sounds awesome, man! i think it´s funny that "mr. fucking blackmachine" is recording with the cheapest ibby 7 string on the market :lol:

it sounds amazing though! i like :)

you´re not helping my massive Axe-FX GAS though :(

Reaction score
I definitely recommend the Mesa, I haven't got much that I like from the Orange cab IRs.

Very cool of you to offer Josh, definitely something to consider when we are recording the final tracks :yesway:

Yup. I have the recto cab here now, a friend of mine has a 6505+ I can use whenever, and I'm planning on picking up a 5150 soon for myself. The signal chain would be Cuniberti Reamp V2 -> Maxon OD-820 boost -> 5150 or 6505+ -> Mesa recto 4x12 -> sm57 -> API A2D pre -> S/PDIF in on RME 9632 pci card. I'd of course be willing to work with you, sending files back and forth, to get something you were happy with. maybe just try with a short piece of a track at first to test things out?

The whole reason I got the recto cab and getting a 5150 is for recording. haha. I'm 100% happy with the Axe-FX going direct for jazzy cleans and ambient bits, but I think micing up gets better results for the high gain stuff. I'm also gonna try using the 5150 for a poweramp for the Axe-FX and comparing it to the VHT. I might have to use my reamp box to bring the Axe-FX outputs down to instrument level to be able to use it into the 5150 FX loop... should work well with the reamp box, I think, though... if it does, i'll probably just sell the VHT and use the 5150 + axe-fx for everything

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Sounding really good Nolly. You have fantastic tone, I'll keep an ear out for progress on your recording

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
This clip just got me super interested in that Bare Knuckle Nailbomb. I haven't played a passive pickup in.... god, probably 7 years. But your tone in this video was fucking sick, though I realize alot of it was from the Axe-FX, i mean just the general tone of the guitar itself was awesome. How would you compare the Nailbomb to say, an EMG 81-7? Can it do more than just the super tight "djent"y sound?

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Yup. I have the recto cab here now, a friend of mine has a 6505+ I can use whenever, and I'm planning on picking up a 5150 soon for myself. The signal chain would be Cuniberti Reamp V2 -> Maxon OD-820 boost -> 5150 or 6505+ -> Mesa recto 4x12 -> sm57 -> API A2D pre -> S/PDIF in on RME 9632 pci card. I'd of course be willing to work with you, sending files back and forth, to get something you were happy with. maybe just try with a short piece of a track at first to test things out?

The whole reason I got the recto cab and getting a 5150 is for recording. haha. I'm 100% happy with the Axe-FX going direct for jazzy cleans and ambient bits, but I think micing up gets better results for the high gain stuff. I'm also gonna try using the 5150 for a poweramp for the Axe-FX and comparing it to the VHT. I might have to use my reamp box to bring the Axe-FX outputs down to instrument level to be able to use it into the 5150 FX loop... should work well with the reamp box, I think, though... if it does, i'll probably just sell the VHT and use the 5150 + axe-fx for everything

Awesome man, thanks again for the offer :yesway:

This clip just got me super interested in that Bare Knuckle Nailbomb. I haven't played a passive pickup in.... god, probably 7 years. But your tone in this video was fucking sick, though I realize alot of it was from the Axe-FX, i mean just the general tone of the guitar itself was awesome. How would you compare the Nailbomb to say, an EMG 81-7? Can it do more than just the super tight "djent"y sound?

Sweet, glad you dug it Alex.
Honestly, the Nailbomb isn't a pickup I'd normally associate with "super-tight, djenty" tones, I guess the reason it came out that way is because the guitar itself is quite weak and thin sounding, with little low end. Compared to an EMG 81, the Nailbomb is going to sound a lot more old-school very rich and open, with a load more dynamic range and midrange grind.
That's not to say the Nailbomb it isn't capable of modern metal, but if you want to get a much more modern sound that's still versatile, you should check out the ceramic Nailbomb - same pickup with a ceramic magnet instead of alnico. It's much tighter and more focussed, but can sound as huge or djenty as you want. It's also very, very clear, which is great for 7-string stuff.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score

Sweet, glad you dug it Alex.
Honestly, the Nailbomb isn't a pickup I'd normally associate with "super-tight, djenty" tones, I guess the reason it came out that way is because the guitar itself is quite weak and thin sounding, with little low end. Compared to an EMG 81, the Nailbomb is going to sound a lot more old-school very rich and open, with a load more dynamic range and midrange grind.
That's not to say the Nailbomb it isn't capable of modern metal, but if you want to get a much more modern sound that's still versatile, you should check out the ceramic Nailbomb - same pickup with a ceramic magnet instead of alnico. It's much tighter and more focussed, but can sound as huge or djenty as you want. It's also very, very clear, which is great for 7-string stuff.

Thanks dude! Is the Nailbomb the best pick up for the "modern metal" sound that Bare Knuckle makes?

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Thanks dude! Is the Nailbomb the best pick up for the "modern metal" sound that Bare Knuckle makes?

Hmm, well it certainly isn't the only suitable one, the Painkiller, Miracle Man, Cold Sweat and ceramic Warpig can all do great modern metal tones.
By the way, you could almost definitely score artist pricing if you send them an email with some spiel about Whitechapel.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Hmm, well it certainly isn't the only suitable one, the Painkiller, Miracle Man, Cold Sweat and ceramic Warpig can all do great modern metal tones.
By the way, you could almost definitely score artist pricing if you send them an email with some spiel about Whitechapel.

Very awesome, will definitely look into it. Thanks man!

Reaction score

Word, I was just throwing that out there. it sounds pretty damn good in the video already. hopefully that didn't come off the wrong way. I think you are probably one of the best guitarists on this forum after seeing videos of you covering sikth, nevermore, etc. haha

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming!

What's your Dæmoness going to be like Nolly?

It will have this quilt maple top:
IMG_4036.jpg

in Dylan's "Cimmerian" (superstrat) shape, with a mahogany body, set neck construction with 3-piece heavily flamed maple neck/ebony board without front inlays, quilt overlay on the headstock to match the body. Hipshot hardware, Bare Knuckle pickups.
Should be pretty sleek and classy!

Word, I was just throwing that out there. it sounds pretty damn good in the video already. hopefully that didn't come off the wrong way. I think you are probably one of the best guitarists on this forum after seeing videos of you covering sikth, nevermore, etc. haha

No no, not at all! My bad for seeming to be short with you in that response! I'm definitely interested to hear what reamped tones you could get, I was thinking that I would probably have the guitar tracks reamped for the final thing anyway.
And thanks man, though that can't possible be true when you consider some of the professional talent on this forum!

Latest posts

')