Vik Drama: Round 3

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
As 99.9999% of the metal community have heard already, Paul and Shawn of Cynic have publicly confirmed that they are gay (which I applaud). Vik had the distasteful balls to post this on his Facebook.

10313052_10203692164214541_4485101796599092439_n.jpg

Fairly vague, but you can probably guess what he's referring to, seeing as Paul is a .strandberg* endorsee. But too vague to come right out and call him a homophobe.

UNTIL!

10365852_10203693174879807_4864066071142809736_n.jpg

How big of a douchebag can you be, especially knowing that the majority of artists you cater to are progressive/djank (sp?) guitarists who either personally know the guys in Cynic, have toured with them, or at least look up to them as inspiration. I really hope he catches a lot of shit for this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Ah, apologies. I think it should be left up here, since more people visit the off-topic section and should be informed of this douchery.

Also, Nolly, the nicest guy in the world, telling you he's disappointed in you has to be a huge shot to the nuts.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Ah, apologies. I think it should be left up here, since more people visit the off-topic section and should be informed of this douchery.

Also, Nolly, the nicest guy in the world, telling you he's disappointed in you has to be a huge shot to the nuts.

Yep :yesway: although I suspect the mods will fold it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Well he can thoroughly go .... himself for that.

EDIT: Nolly's statement.

Earlier this year ViK Guitars and I privately ended our endorsement agreement at the end of its specified contract period. I was dissatisfied with the recent customer service issues I had observed and felt that it wasn't right to continue with further contractual obligation. With his word that he was working to resolve those issues, we agreed to keep the matter private. However, his recent anti-gay comments have pushed me to make a statement: As a firm supporter of LGBT rights, I find his sentiments offensive and disgusting, and moving forwards I simply cannot have my name associated with his brand.

To those that have purchased my signature ViK or any other model on my recommendation and have experienced customer service issues, delays, or are similarly offended by the anti-LGBT comments he has publicly expressed, I can only apologise. My experience with ViK Guitars had been extremely positive at the time of my endorsement, and I do want to be clear that the endorsement was based on my genuine belief that the guitars he builds are among the very best available.

I am honestly shocked by this situation, and I'm still gathering my thoughts on the matter.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
If there's a music community you really don't want to reveal yourself as a homophobe to, especially if you own a business catering primarily to the same community, its the metal community.
We don't put up with that shit.
Stupid move by Vik, bigotry will always be massively to your detriment if you own a business.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I don't know about another round, but previously he got a lot of flak for bashing a small builder for copying his design for a one-off custom.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
If there's a music community you really don't want to reveal yourself as a homophobe to... its the metal community.

We've clearly had very, very different experiences with metal fans, unfortunately. My experiences with metal fans have lead me to believe that homophobia is the default mindset for a metal listener. The members of this forum are, generally, outliers.

Gmork

Reaction score
im a bit in the dark as i dont know this vik fellow but he has just made an enemy. what a f*cking dick. im proud to be part of the universal metal community in which it seems to excepts all types of people. then there are these guys setting it back. go play f*cking football or some sh*t. (no offence to the nice "jocks")

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Not trying to stir shit here and in no sense do I condone his behavior (big Cynic/Masvidal fan and have nothing against gay people) but when/why does someone earn a public execution for voicing an opinion? Is it when it deviates from standard ethics? In my opinion, just like you can't force a sexual orientation on someone, you shouldn't really force an opinion on someone either.

If the man has problems with gay people, it's obviously his problem and now you know who to avoid. But this whole internet-crusade thing nowadays, can't say I'm a big fan.

Promit

Reaction score
Not trying to stir shit here and in no sense do I condone his behavior (big Cynic/Masvidal fan and have nothing against gay people) but when/why does someone earn a public execution for voicing an opinion? Is it when it deviates from standard ethics? In my opinion, just like you can't force a sexual orientation on someone, you shouldn't really force an opinion on someone either.

If the man has problems with gay people, it's obviously his problem and now you know who to avoid. But this whole internet-crusade thing nowadays, can't say I'm a big fan.
I think that's a longer discussion arc, tied into a lot of recent events (for example the Mozilla/Eich incident). But the long and short of it is, imagine he said "I don't like blacks" or "I don't like Jews" or whatever. It's along those lines. It is MY opinion that such a person deserves no business and no kindness, and I haven't seen anyone do anything other than express similar opinions.

Promit

Reaction score
Addendum: I suspect that if he'd attacked something less mainstream (let's say polyamory/polygamy, transsexuality, whatever), that there wouldn't be a lynch mob. That's a reflection of our society and accepted morality, for better or worse.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
It's good to voice distaste and make people aware. Otherwise people will continue funding people with views that strongly oppose their own. I never want to help feed a piece of shit racist, homophobe, or rapist. If somebody finds out someone is guilty of that sort of thing, it's good to let anyone and everyone know so they can spend money accordingly. This dude is a ....ing .... and I hope his business rots.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
I think that's a longer discussion arc, tied into a lot of recent events (for example the Mozilla/Eich incident). But the long and short of it is, imagine he said "I don't like blacks" or "I don't like Jews" or whatever. It's along those lines. It is MY opinion that such a person deserves no business and no kindness, and I haven't seen anyone do anything other than express similar opinions.

Fair enough. I've dealt with enough racists on both sides of the spectrum but I'm still more of a live and let live kind of guy. As long as it doesn't escalate into some form of (personal) attack in a physical or verbal context, I'm quite alright with people being able to voice their opinion whatever this may be. Everyone is different on the outside but also on the inside.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of contractual obligations are in place, but if I was Nolly I'd seriously consider taking my name off the Duality.

I used to have a lot of respect for Vik, but it has worn thinner with his lack of professionalism in each of these outbursts over the past however-many months. It's a shame he makes such great guitars, but I really dislike his attitude and unprofessional conduct.

**edit: looks like the Nolly endorsement is already over http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/general-music-discussion/270476-vik-drama-round-3-a.html

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Fair enough. I've dealt with enough racists on both sides of the spectrum but I'm still more of a live and let live kind of guy. As long as it doesn't escalate into some form of (personal) attack in a physical or verbal context, I'm quite alright with people being able to voice their opinion whatever this may be. Everyone is different on the outside but also on the inside.

But that's exactly what this is. One guy voiced his opinion, and then others are voicing theirs in response. He's full well allowed to feel the way he does, and people are free to disagree with that. And homophobia is a pretty big issue when it's kind of legal in more states to .... a corpse than it is to marry someone of the same gender. It's not exactly a "live and let live" situation when one group is actively oppressed.

')