Vik Drama: Round 3

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Homophobia: the fear of being sexually involved with another individual of the same gender and perchance liking it.

^ Something tells me we need to bring Vik over here and throw him in prison in the USA for a day. Might change his viewpoints. :lol:

jay moth

Reaction score
Have any of You ever been in Eastern Europe?

Thing is, while Vik is dealing with people from different countries, he still lives in Belarus, right? And in Eastern Europe some countries like Czech Republic are quite liberal and tolerant. Some, like Poland - depends, in big cities it's getting there slowly, but still, there are places, where one can get a beating for being "different". And then there are countries like Belarus. He's not an island, trust me. Feel free to contact everyone he knows. I can assure You, most of them can't speak English, and most of them are as intolerant as he is.

In day of globalisation is easy to forget, that not every part of the world is the same. In some of the Eastern European countries, most probably in Belarus as well, if one will dress overly flamboyant to express ones homosexual attitude, will get a solid beating from local skinheads, and then from local police, or however it's called now, probably Militia, or something similar. That's how it is there.

ferret

Reaction score
The existence of many intolerant people in a particular area is not an excuse to shrug and ignore intolerance, bigotry, hate.

This idea of "Everyone here hates gays guys, not just him, so it's ok." ...... isn't ok.

s4tch

Reaction score
Have any of You ever been in Eastern Europe?

Thing is, while Vik is dealing with people from different countries, he still lives in Belarus, right? ...

I live in Eastern Europe, and I'm aware of the fact that our society has much to learn. I've already addressed this point of view to the readers/contributors of this tread, but I'd never use this as an excuse to justify Vik's behavior.

I can assure You, most of them can't speak English, and most of them are as intolerant as he is.

Speaking or not speaking English is not part of the whole issue. Anyway, Vik's English is pretty good as far as I can tell, he deals with international clients on a global market, so no excuse here either.

(BTW, the Czech Republic as a whole is not as tolerant as Prague, the city you most likely had visited. The same goes for Hungary, too: Budapest and some other parts of the country are like they were on a different planet.)

jay moth

Reaction score
This idea of "Everyone here hates gays guys, not just him, so it's ok." ...... isn't ok.
You've missed the idea entirely. The idea is, trying to "stigmatize" him wouldn't work. Someone had an idea, to let know "everyone he ever talked to" that he is intolerant. And that wouldn't work. I mean, I don't get why everyone is so surprised with Belarusian being not-very-friendly towards gay people. I'm not saying it's ok, but I'm puzzled why everyone seems to be so surprised.

Speaking or not speaking English is not part of the whole issue. Anyway, Vik's English is pretty good as far as I can tell, he deals with international clients on a global market, so no excuse here either.
Again, missing the point. I'm like, "contact them all, good luck".

Czech Republic is overall way more tolerant than Poland for that matter. Lived in Poland quite close to border with Czech Republic for quite a long time. To be honest, while playing live in Poland is fine, playing in Czech Republic is great... and playing in Ukraine and Belarus is terrible. At least for me personally. Mainly because of authorities being "oh, those from the bands, they're obviously a drug dealers".

stevexc

Reaction score
You've missed the idea entirely. The idea is, trying to "stigmatize" him wouldn't work. Someone had an idea, to let know "everyone he ever talked to" that he is intolerant. And that wouldn't work. I mean, I don't get why everyone is so surprised with Belarusian being not-very-friendly towards gay people. I'm not saying it's ok, but I'm puzzled why everyone seems to be so surprised.

Again, missing the point. I'm like, "contact them all, good luck".

"Surprise" has nothing to do with it. "Renowned luthier spreading hatespeech, alienating his customer base, and extorting money and support from his endorsees being offensive" is the entire issue.

Where he is from is entirely irrelevant. If he were from America, if he were from Korea, if he were from the goddamn moon he's still a hateful, homophobic bigot.

So what is it exactly you're trying to say? That we should ignore him because "Oh, they don't like gays over there anyways"? That we should reinforce the (misguided) notion that it's okay to do ANY of the crap he did?

jay moth

Reaction score
What I'm trying to say, is this guy is apparently skilled luthier. And this is all that matters from my point of view. Being a dick is not illegal as far as I remember, so why would I care, as a customer what the guy is about? I'm paying for his skills, not how decent human being he is. Although, he should get a PR guy if he cannot deal with that by himself, but that's different matter.

What I'm also trying to say, is making so much drama, because some Belarusian guy is homophobic is as stupid as making drama, because some Cuban guy is communist... I mean, hardly an unexpected turn.

Also: a lot of famous people are dicks in their private lifes. Eric Clapton is rasist. Does that mean it should be a massive 30-page thread about not listening to him anymore? Give me a break.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
What I'm trying to say, is this guy is apparently skilled luthier. And this is all that matters from my point of view. Being a dick is not illegal as far as I remember, so why would I care, as a customer what the guy is about? I'm paying for his skills, not how decent human being he is.

Did you miss the parts where some guys have been waiting forever for their guitars, plus the fact that Misha didn't get his money back until this shitstorm hit the peak? People seem to be cherrypicking details in order to defend the guy.

jay moth

Reaction score
Tell me how only Vik is delaying everything. A lot of small, and not so small custom shops has problems with delays, and refunds. And again - he's a terrible businessman, no doubts about it.

What made You think I'm defending him? I'm just against making it so over the top.

stevexc

Reaction score
Being a dick is not illegal as far as I remember, so why would I care, as a customer what the guy is about?

Charging gay people double - regardless if it was a joke or not - is a human rights violation.

Tell me how only Vik is delaying everything. A lot of small, and not so small custom shops has problems with delays, and refunds. And again - he's a terrible businessman, no doubts about it.

What made You think I'm defending him? I'm just against making it so over the top.

He's taking huge - multiyear - delays in producing and shipping PAYING CUSTOMERS' instruments (even bringing one to NAMM with him without permission from the customer that, as far as I recall, has still not been delivered) while putting endorsees at the top of the list.

Why are you trying so hard to defend him? His guitars aren't even that great compared to a lot of other luthiers with actual business (and personal) ethics. Plus you'll actually get it.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
What I'm trying to say, is this guy is apparently skilled luthier. And this is all that matters from my point of view. Being a dick is not illegal as far as I remember, so why would I care, as a customer what the guy is about? I'm paying for his skills, not how decent human being he is. Although, he should get a PR guy if he cannot deal with that by himself, but that's different matter.

Because if you're gay, you probably don't want to give your money to someone who hates you for being who you naturally are. And if you're straight, you may well not like someone who wants to make life as difficult as possible for people just because of who they naturally are.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Tell me how only Vik is delaying everything.

He actually asked me this himself. As I told him, the difference is, most reputable luthiers keep communication, are honest and don't lie multiple times making false promises. In our discussion it was quite clear he thought he was an exception to the rule, and that anyone bringing up these complaints was a liar out to slander him.

Promit

Reaction score
The thread is still going because like clockwork every two days, some new person drops in, reads the first page, and voices some ignorant thought about how Vik is just expressing an opinion that has nothing to do with his business and it shouldn't affect anything and it's not hateful and the upset ones are hateful.
Still happening.

jay moth

Reaction score
Charging gay people double - regardless if it was a joke or not - is a human rights violation.
Did he charge anyone double? If he didn't, then there's no case. If someone will tell You, that tuning pegs will be made out of elephants' horn, will You believe it, and take it to the court? Sorry, comment on FB is not violation of anything. Show me invoice with gay person being charged double. Or stop making a problem bigger than it is.

He's taking huge - multiyear - delays in producing and shipping PAYING CUSTOMERS' instruments
Go through NGDs in here. Do I remember correctly someone had a Jackson delayed by a year or so? I do remember however a Jackson custom with wrong specification. Actually, two of them.

while putting endorsees at the top of the list.
(Almost) everyone is doing that. I hate it as much as You do, much that's how it is.

Why are you trying so hard to defend him?
I'm not. I don't care who he is, I don't have his guitar, and not going to buy one anytime soon. Just enjoying a discussion really. I'm having fun, do You?

flint757

Reaction score
Read the thread and you'll get a better idea of the situation. Your responses tell me you haven't actually done that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
What I'm trying to say, is this guy is apparently skilled luthier. And this is all that matters from my point of view. Being a dick is not illegal as far as I remember, so why would I care, as a customer what the guy is about? I'm paying for his skills, not how decent human being he is.

That's your prerogative. But don't tell me I'm stupid if what matters to me is more than whether he's a skilled luthier. It does matter to me whether I am supporting someone who is a dick or not. I would prefer, when possible, to only support decent human beings. If you don't care about that, then fine. But don't come in here and tell me, or any of the rest of us, how to act.

And for the record, if I see Clapton say something racist, then yeah, I probably won't buy a Clapton album.

s4tch

Reaction score
And for the record, if I see Clapton say something racist, then yeah, I probably won't buy a Clapton album.

Same here, as I don't listen to Lostprophets anymore. Too bad, I really enjoyed Liberation Transmission.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
Clapton is pretty ....ing racist
Clapton is in a weird spot between racist and I don't know what. I mean there was that incident at one of his concerts in the 70's but he frequently hung out with Jimi Hendrix (hell he even bought him a left handed strat for his birthday but jimi passed on before he could give it to him) and he plays with Buddy Guy and B.B. King a lot as well. So who the hell knows. :lol:

')