Vik Guitars Discussion

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I don't see this really capturing my GAS. Franchising a product or service is easy. Franchising a skill is not. If Vik's guitars are really all-that, in terms of quality of construction and set up, then the USA line cannot be. If it's possible that there is a US manufacturer that can turn out instruments as high quality as a Vik, then Vik isn't building at a quality level beyond other's reach. So really, we'll just end up with a Vik body shape being made by someone else, but with a high price tag since the profits will have to be split. I think it works for Strandberg because the shape is so unusual people want to get one, and aren't super concerned if Ola himself builds one. But I'm less likely to get an expensive Vik knockoff just because it's "official." Now, if these come in of decent quality and $2000 or less, maybe. But I also think they're likely to be around $2500-$3000.

This. .strandberg* has a lot of functional stuff going on with their designs that translates well regardless of who's actually building it. Vik... As much as I enjoy his designs aesthetically, I can't say quite the same. I think this could be worked into a successful business venture if he's smart about the marketing and brings key elements of his custom work to the USA line, but the scale is going to be pretty small and how much will any additional attention it draws actually be worth? He's already got a long (closed) wait list that he's behind on, which will take years to clear out, and I'm sure there are plenty of people waiting for the opportunity to order another when it looks like he's in the clear. Are there people interested in Vik customs who would take one of these in its place? What impact will this have on the rate that he's able to build customs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
I hope all the best for ViK, its a great idea and I hope it works for everyone!

To be honest, I really can't see myself waiting another 2+ years for a custom ever again. I placed my order in September 2011 and now I have moved up in his list by 5 places with 8 still to go... I don't have much hope to even get in 2014, which really pains me, especially knowing that suddenly one day I will receive a massive bill out of the blue that I need to be prepared to pay.

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Business sense....

Speed
Stranderg - Sensible wait list set up with 10 builds at a time
Vik - Number of builds outstanding, no structure and customers waiting 2 years

Design
Strandberg - Allows others to make copies provided under design licensing
Vik - Doesn't allow copies. Attacks other builders, goes on a rant on FB

Order
Strandberg - Odd artist guitar/prototype made in between customs
Vik - Builds a number of in stocks/Vik in a week with blind auctions in place

Attitude
Strandberg - Goes out of his way to help a disgruntled S7 Customer
Vik - Bans anyone on FB that questions his practices

I didn't go into much detail but really wanted to highlight the differences.
Just look at what Ola had to overcome with S7!

All the best for Vik and his new venture but based on the past I'd stay away...

My :2c:

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Business sense....

... Strandberg ...

You forgot to mention that he doesn't charge you any money until he is actually going to start your build.

Back on topic ... if he has a good business partner in USA, things could be great for Vik USA. Lets see :)

asfeir

Reaction score
You forgot to mention that he doesn't charge you any money until he is actually going to start your build.

I didn't know that, but deposits are the norm rather than the exception when it comes to luthier guitars.

Also I think Vik guitars grew very quickly in the last few years so it's normal to have such a phase when you have bigger plans than staying a one man shop.
I was a bit young at the time but maybe PRS and even Suhr had such problems when they were still "building" their company and implementing a business model?

I don't know just thinking loudly. Its very normal to get angry about the delays and seeing this new venture but after all its in his interest to complete the guitars in a shorter laps of time so he can pocket the money still due.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Business sense....

Attitude
Strandberg - Goes out of his way to help a disgruntled S7 Customer

Not trying to be off topic in this Vik thread, but speaking from personal experience, that statement is completely not true

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
It's nice to see that people finally, after Sims and Chris Woods and Roter and BRJ and god knows how many other luthiers/small shops, are starting to exercise discretion and healthy skepticism when it comes to these sorts of things.

I'm two for four there. What ....ing luck I have. I'm still waiting on a woods neck that I don't even remember what it was supposed to look like other than a Blackmachine knockoff, which I'm now not proud of but whatever it was ordered 3 YEARS AGO. And he's been building new stuff from scratch since? Yeah... and Bernie oh Bernie. WTFB is a new phrase I use.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I wouldn't mind a more production based Vik, especially if it can be built in a timely manner. I did go in on a Duality run because of the craftsmanship, and am still there because of it. No regrets or questions there. So the USA brand seems like an interesting venture and I just hope for his sake he has done his homework and research.

I'd shit myself for a Vik Savior FF7 built by Jackson.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I'm two for four there. What ....ing luck I have. I'm still waiting on a woods neck that I don't even remember what it was supposed to look like other than a Blackmachine knockoff, which I'm now not proud of but whatever it was ordered 3 YEARS AGO. And he's been building new stuff from scratch since? Yeah... and Bernie oh Bernie. WTFB is a new phrase I use.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I wouldn't mind a more production based Vik, especially if it can be built in a timely manner. I did go in on a Duality run because of the craftsmanship, and am still there because of it. No regrets or questions there. So the USA brand seems like an interesting venture and I just hope for his sake he has done his homework and research.

I'd shit myself for a Vik Savior FF7 built by Jackson.

Jackson CS is having problems getting two-year-old guitar orders out to non-artist customers, and has had two substantial QC issues that have come up in the past few months. Also, Pablo Santana has left.

I wouldn't want to pile more on that, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to take a multi-thousand-dollar risk on the results.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Jackson CS is having problems getting two-year-old guitar orders out to non-artist customers, and has had two substantial QC issues that have come up in the past few months. Also, Pablo Santana has left.

Thats probably because they're busy building artist guitars non stop. There are guys on here waiting over two years while Bulb has received 4 CS Jacksons. Kinda lame.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
^ :agreed: but Vik has pretty similar delivery method.

:idea: perhaps he can replace Pablo??? :rofl:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
And not a single .... was given, ever. Guy might have been a fantastically capable luthier, but his designs were, for the most part, just hideous.

I dislike Pablo's own designs, but he's one of the original Jackson guys, along with Mike Shannon and Grover, and he does some killer Soloists. Big loss for Jackson.

Also a big loss for a friend whose guitar work order was left unfulfilled on his desk after he left. It would still be there, too, if he hadn't called in a connection. Over two years, through a major dealer, and the thing hadn't even been started.

Not exactly confidence-inspiring from one of the original and most iconic metal custom shops.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window

I wouldn't want to pile more on that, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to take a multi-thousand-dollar risk on the results.

Well, stick a fork in that one. :lol: Regardless, in a perfect world the idea was sweet. So who else could it be?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I don't see this really capturing my GAS. Franchising a product or service is easy. Franchising a skill is not. If Vik's guitars are really all-that, in terms of quality of construction and set up, then the USA line cannot be. If it's possible that there is a US manufacturer that can turn out instruments as high quality as a Vik, then Vik isn't building at a quality level beyond other's reach. So really, we'll just end up with a Vik body shape being made by someone else, but with a high price tag since the profits will have to be split. I think it works for Strandberg because the shape is so unusual people want to get one, and aren't super concerned if Ola himself builds one. But I'm less likely to get an expensive Vik knockoff just because it's "official." Now, if these come in of decent quality and $2000 or less, maybe. But I also think they're likely to be around $2500-$3000.

Someone negged me, asking if I don't want a Vik knockoff unless it's a sufficiently cheap knockoff. Just to clear it up, that's exactly right. I wouldn't buy the USA version unless it were substantially cheaper than the actual handmade Vik version. Just like I wouldn't buy a Boden if it were close to the same price as a regular strandy. If the USA Viks go for a good deal less than the actual Vik, then I'm more likely to go for it, because the difference in quality (which there has to be for the business model to work. Otherwise no one would buy one from Vik himself) would be matched by a sufficiently lower price.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Do you think Vik purposefully put his base custom shop price at $5k in preparation for this so that the USA based ones go for a price like his old base custom shop rate?

AxeHappy

Reaction score
It being cheaper is kind of the whole point of a knock off eh?

If these aren't substantially cheaper (I'm thinking around 2-2.5K street) I won't be even remotely interested.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Im thinking these will be around 3000-3500$ USD. Otherwise having good wood selections and craftsmanship is unlikely. I have no clue which manufacturer will be taking these builds on but it would have to like an EBMM or PRS is my guess. PRS is imo the most similar to most ViK builds so I'll say my first guess is PRS

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Do you think Vik purposefully put his base custom shop price at $5k in preparation for this so that the USA based ones go for a price like his old base custom shop rate?

Could be. Or it could just be that he raised the price because the market would tolerate it. I personally think it's great that he's able to raise his prices and people still see the worth in buying the guitars. The argument could be made that he should have raised the price sooner to prevent the need of closing the ordering and running so far behind. I personally would love for the prices to be lower so I can get one, but for the purposes of the market this is great. Of course, the big downside is that he's limiting his market share, and that will potentially eliminate future orders. I suppose a way around that would be to do like Perry Ormsby or Tom Drinkwater, and charge a lower amount, but set up "runs" to allow for increased production. But the only way to increase income is to increase quantity or to increase prices (or both). Otherwise we get into a BRJ situation.

So that was kind of a long winded answer. :lol: But yeah, I would think he increased his prices to give a "middle tier" to come in at.

So is his base fee now $5000? Or is that what he charges when you get typical upgrades?

')