Vik Guitars Discussion

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
1898063_10200581305093684_309084625_n.jpg

Just got back from Messe. Somebody had break room.

Ouch ... that's sad :-(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
why would you not promote your brand?

What good does it do to bring guitars that are not representative of the brand? You wouldn't bring a bunch of j-customs to promote the Ibanez premium lineup, for instance. But I don't know what the plan is - maybe instead of "ViK Guitars" vs. "ViK Guitars USA" it'll be something like "ViK Guitars USA - Made for Measure" and "ViK Guitars USA Production"?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
He did indeed tell me it was done, but lets face it, the word "done" could have been used loosely. I dont think he had any intention of lying though. "Done" to him could actually mean "finished as far as construction goes".

Hey Brandon, I just talked with Vik and he said your guitar is done again. And by done he means somewhere between harvesting the wood and actually being ready to ship. And by guitar I mean somewhere between a ukulele and a bass. And by my talking to Vik I mean somewhere between me actually talking with Vik and me making fun of Leonardo for being such a sycophant.

(Sorry L7 - just couldn't resist!)

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
So did Vik end up not going to Messe and that's just an empty booth at show time?

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Because events like Messe are very expensive. Considering how much he seems to have been complaining about money...

I don't understand your point.
He had the booth booked, he decided not to go. I don't know why. He still has to pay for the booth.

What good does it do to bring guitars that are not representative of the brand? You wouldn't bring a bunch of j-customs to promote the Ibanez premium lineup, for instance. But I don't know what the plan is - maybe instead of "ViK Guitars" vs. "ViK Guitars USA" it'll be something like "ViK Guitars USA - Made for Measure" and "ViK Guitars USA Production"?

Fair enough, but you still want to get the word out. Maybe he has a prototype? I don't know

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Looks like someone set that up themselves to make fun of Vik by posting a fake booth pic.

Basic computer printer sign (black ink on some 8x11), some garbage on a table.

I think it's a joke :lol:

I took the picture and I have many witnesses to say I was at Messe on Friday. It's legit.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Hey Brandon, I just talked with Vik and he said your guitar is done again. And by done he means somewhere between harvesting the wood and actually being ready to ship. And by guitar I mean somewhere between a ukulele and a bass. And by my talking to Vik I mean somewhere between me actually talking with Vik and me making fun of Leonardo for being such a sycophant.

Win.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score

It may be the shielding and some odd glare that's making it look weird. It looks fine in these progress photos on his forum. But who knows.

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

Not to rain on your parade or anything man, but the routes in the pickup cavities for the wiring look like garbage. Is that just the light or something in the wood?

I don't recall seeing those in the last photo you posted...

Your telling me that you really care enough about whats hidden under the pickups so much that you had to comment on it and even try to make the customer feel bad over something that isnt even seen or that doesnt even matter, and then be wrong about it? Or were you just trying that hard to squeeze every little bit of evidence that you can find to try and make Vik look bad, while as said before, turning out to actually be wrong! Am I the only one here who's finding it to get a little old? Guitars are for playing anyways, not for looking at while they have no pickups in them. But in this case Brandon should be happy when he decides to hang the guitar on his wall with no pickups in it as the routes look clean as a hounds tooth! In fact they look so good Brandon that maybe you should consider just keeping this one as an acoustic player and not have any pickups in it at all since it matters so much. :lol:

me making fun of Leonardo for being such a sycophant.

Im pretty sure that your just trying to feed me fuel to say something or do something to get me banned :squint:

Just because I didn't get my order cancelled doesn't make me a sycophant :fawk: :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
No, I'm just busting your balls. I know you like Vik and his work, but you threw a fat pitch there, so I had to swing at it!

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
All good!

By the way, I just put in a Ceramic Nailbomb in to my Vik in a Week just to test it out and the result is :yesway:

Anyone with a maple top over Limba body should try a Ceramic nailbomb. Its sounds really good. Ive noticed the duality tends to typically be actually a pretty bright guitar. I was wondering if it was just the Vik pickups so I had to try different pickups to see for myself. After trying an Aftermath which was just as bright and sounded nearly identical to the Vik pickup, I am now trying a Nailbomb which I really like.

The guitar itself is pretty bright for limba, but still retains excellent low end clarity. Maybe its the thicker maple top and body design that keep these guitars from being too dark. My Mahogany duality 8 has excellent low end clarity but isnt as dark as one might expect from Mahogany. I am starting to believe that the construction of the duality shape lends some tonal aspect because while both have different woods entirely, aside from the maple tops, they retain similar tonal aspects in attack and EQ curves, regardless of pickups. They do, however, also sound different from one another, but both do have this brighter type of tight low end with the most attack Ive ever gotten from any guitar ever! Its an interesting observation and I do wonder how much the shape/construction lends itself tonally.

oracles

Reaction score
Your telling me that you really care enough about whats hidden under the pickups so much that you had to comment on it and even try to make the customer feel bad over something that isnt even seen or that doesnt even matter, and then be wrong about it?

For the price tag that accompanies these instruments, you bet your arse I care about every last detail. "Doesn't even matter" really? Yeah, you might not see it when the pickups are in, but you're telling me that wouldn't bother you? Knowing you dropped that much cash for shitty router work? Sorry man. Not gonna fly for that amount of cash. I get that you like Vik and his work, and that's great, but you can only defend him and his shady work ethics so much. Cancelling orders from paying customers who've put up with this kind of shit for years is pretty pathetic honestly. These people paid for a product, not a Vik tantrum and ego trip.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
For the price tag that accompanies these instruments, you bet your arse I care about every last detail. "Doesn't even matter" really? Yeah, you might not see it when the pickups are in, but you're telling me that wouldn't bother you? Knowing you dropped that much cash for shitty router work? Sorry man. Not gonna fly for that amount of cash. I get that you like Vik and his work, and that's great, but you can only defend him and his shady work ethics so much. Cancelling orders from paying customers who've put up with this kind of shit for years is pretty pathetic honestly. These people paid for a product, not a Vik tantrum and ego trip.

As a guy who had his orders cancelled, yes, totally agree with all that being pretty lame. But to be clear about the routes - all evidence points to them being properly done. The sloppiness in the one picture is probably a trick of the light, as I can't imagine how they'd go from being nicely routed to a total mess at that stage of the build.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score

What point are you arguing? It's been proven the routing work isn't shitty at all with further images.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score

Well as it turns out the work on that guitar looks good, so I dont think its worth getting into a hypothetical argument. Ultimately though, Im not after what the routes look like under the pickups. I dont think I would remove the pickups someday only to be distraught over it and feel like I got ripped off when its otherwise the best playing/sounding guitar Ive ever owned. I would certainly take note I suppose.

So Im apparently defending Vik and his apparent shady work ethics now? I thought this was about the routing under the pickups? Dont bring me in to anything regarding the cancelling of one or two guys orders, that has nothing to do with me and I know nothing of the specifics regarding any of that stuff so please leave me out of that stuff.

')