Vik Guitars Discussion

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I didn't even enter that contest and I was upset about the outcome. They made a big deal of not having to be Super Ultra Shredmaster to win and then Nick Llerandi wins it all with Super Ultra Jazz Fusion Master Shred. :noway:

I know this is off topic, but that put me off as well. I get that great players are more likely to win, but they're also more likely to have nicer gear already or the capacity to afford it if necessary. Not saying that EF was huge or that Nick had cash to throw around for tons of nice gear, but it's not unlike a pro poker player stopping in at your local game and handily winning....

As to the Vik guitar comment; as others have pointed out, the color scheme is a moot point as it won't get made. He'll likely realize this isn't going to save his brand as he hoped it would and will promptly cancel it, likely citing....well, hell....I have no idea what reason he'll give...but if he doesn't like homosexuals [because a 2000 year old book frowns up sex that wouldn't have resulted in conception in a time period rife with high infant mortality rates and low life expectancy] then I imagine he'll have no trouble at all bullshitting his way through a [poorly phrased] excuse for reneging on his offer to build a free guitar.

I can't find this video, where is it?

Check Vik's FB, he linked it earlier today.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
As far as this whole "won't get built" thing...having done an entire build with Vik over 3 years, Vik is crazy unpredictable. He's really a pretty random guy, so I wouldn't make any hard claims either way.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
As far as the contest is concerned, I really do understand the concerns of people who've been waiting for their guitars for ages and end up reading that whatever it is a potential winner decides to get should be ready come NAMM 2015. Personally, I wouldn't ever get such a contest out there under such heavy flak after a remarkably disastrous PR episode, least of all with a bunch of pending orders generating controversy.

I find that the whole horde of insults, threats and other similar acts in response to the contest is uncalled for, primitive and as uncivilized as it can possibly get, though. Fighting discrimination of any kind is done via education, and you can't possibly open one's mind via mindless aggression, no matter how just you perceive your cause to be. If anything, you turn your target into a martyr, one that is the perfect excuse for others to keep enforcing their morally unacceptable standards and, what's worse, to indoctrinate others and spread the disease.

Be smart and present things in ways that are well structured and to the point, and you are deconstructing the flawed ideal while leaving no possible retort that doesn't rely on some absurd, easily rebated argument. Even better, you aren't acting in ways that are beneath the fundamental cause of equality you rightly seek to step up for. :2c:

tmfrank

Reaction score
While I'm sure I'll get flak for it, I decided to enter the contest. I don't agree with his standpoint on same-sex relationships (or the way he handled the situation for that matter), but as we all know, the guy can build a great guitar. Right now, while I only have a limited income, there are very few opportunities to get a custom guitar of this caliber built to my own specs for FREE. Now, call me crazy if you want, but irrelevant opinions aside, this is a great chance for anyone to win a high quality guitar with no strings attached. Whether it'll be ready by Winter NAMM is obviously up to Vik himself, but I think I'd be very happy to win this contest either way. But, just like all of the posts in this thread, this is just my :2c: and should only be taken as such! :)

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I mean, it certainly can't hurt to practice your chops and you lose nothing by entering.

flint757

Reaction score
The thing is, even if he does he isn't really repairing his reputation. There are tons of builds that still haven't been finished and likely still won't be by winter NAMM. If he finishes a contest guitar before he finishes prior, paid in full, orders that is still bad publicity in my book. As far as I'm concerned, for his image, it's a lose-lose situation. If he doesn't complete the contest guitar he is a lying dick and if he does he is a very poor business man when it comes to his actual customers. :shrug:

All that aside, none of this really erases his poor ethics and attitude.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Here's my entry, I was in a rush to record it since I'm very busy with work but you get the idea!

I'm surprised more people haven't entered. Drama aside he does build and incredible guitar. He built one in a week so I'm sure he'd have no problem building one in 26 weeks.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
i wish all this crap didn't happen, dicked for 3 years and now the guitars have no value

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I'm surprised more people haven't entered. Drama aside he does build and incredible guitar. He built one in a week so I'm sure he'd have no problem building one in 26 weeks.

No doubt....while his paying customers are forced to wait even longer in order for him to work on this.

To be fair, Jackson is guilty of similar. I watch lots of artist guitars leave the shop while my Custom Shop order sits in the queue.

It's hard to be excited for some people when others are getting the shaft :2c:

Thorerges

Reaction score
No doubt....while his paying customers are forced to wait even longer in order for him to work on this.

To be fair, Jackson is guilty of similar. I watch lots of artist guitars leave the shop while my Custom Shop order sits in the queue.

It's hard to be excited for some people when others are getting the shaft :2c:

There's a small difference. How many luthiers work for Jackson? At least, in some respects - i THINK they can get away with it. Its disgusting, but they can. Jackson doesn't have a very fine business model at all, they have failed to adapt to the 90's, the 2000's flew right past them and looks like the djent scene did as well - but hell, they still make some fantastic guitars and are a very popular guitar company.

Vik's popularity isn't the same, it never was. This dude got famous for exactly 2 years or so, building a handful of guitars every year.

That being said, he can ....ing build a guitar.

BlackStar7

Lord Autumnbottom
Reaction score
I really can't understand why anyone would want to win this. I don't care how nice a guitar he builds - you'd be allowing yourself to be used as a promotional tool by a total ass.

Owning one of his guitars is one thing, but choosing to be associated with his toxic brand when pretty much everyone else on the planet has jumped ship...how reprehensible does he have to be before you can no longer look the other way because, gee, what a pretty guitar he makes? :2c:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really can't understand why anyone would want to win this. I don't care how nice a guitar he builds - you'd be allowing yourself to be used as a promotional tool by a total ass.

Owning one of his guitars is one thing, but choosing to be associated with his toxic brand when pretty much everyone else on the planet has jumped ship...how reprehensible does he have to be before you can no longer look the other way because, gee, what a pretty guitar he makes? :2c:

Because some people will do anything for free shit :2c:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
But how else am I supposed to get one to stain bright pink and rainbows without giving him money?

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
This thread man
Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

carpone

Reaction score
In reality I can't name many of the popular custom guitar builders that you do not wait forever to receive. Or many custom purchased merchandise in that matter. Some of these builders have a team to build that guitar vs a one man operation. At least Vik makes sure the guitar is quality and not sending out shit. If anyone here has never said or made a mistake then your full of it. There are two sides to every story.

All I see are bandwagon jumpers out of a lot of this. I spent a lot of time with Vik at the NAMM booth and saw many people enjoy the guitars. I like Vik, he is a very intriguing person that lives across the world that has passion for building guitars. Is he perfect just as any human in this world, hell no. I do not believe in attempting to make someone fail rather than the opposite of be a stronger person to influence change for the good. I like all of the admired artist of this whole "hollywood stupid drama thing" also. The team at Strandberg are pretty laid back and very talented. Cynic was a cool band back in the 90's or whatever when I bought there cassette tape many moons ago. This points out how old I am. With all of this being said I will never not like something because of the majorities opinion. To many people let someone else think for them in my observation in many situations. I will continue to listen and support Cynic, Periphery, Per Nilsson, and who ever else. I will continue to dig headless shape guitars and know that people like Allan Holdsworth can blow peoples mind with the music. I will continue to have respect for those with different sex,religion, and political beliefs. I will continue to admire and respect Vik due to know for a fact he is not screwing anyone over. He is just an underdog wanting to step in and play with the big dogs just having growing pains to get there. Does it mean I hate the LGBT community? Um..no I have many friends that are LGBT and would laugh. I just think all on this is non-sense and that is my two cents. Main point is I will never follow something that I know the truth about because it is uncool to believe in the truth.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
. I will continue to admire and respect Vik due to know for a fact he is not screwing anyone over.

i agree with everything you said expect that piece. dude is absolutely dicking around his customers and lies to them and there is tons of evidence to support that but i still enjoy watching him continue to work and see what he does with his builds, i just wont conduct business with the man again.

Latest posts

')