Vik Guitars Discussion

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Except that his composition was clearly the best, I don't see how having nice gear should disqualify someone from a competition:scratch:

You're absolutely right, it shouldn't and his was the best entry.

I'm just making an observation on a lot of these competitions that pop up. Whose video is going to grab your attention more: the kid playing through a Line 6 Spider, a backing track playing from his flip phone, and going through a webcam or the guy in a well lit studio with a camera shooting in 1080P and a very well mixed song with a sexy guitar to stare at? I feel that if both people had compositions of the same awesomeness, the latter would win every time because you're more likely to "suffer through" the first one so you can say the contest was fair because you looked at every entry.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Oh look, someone that already has a shit ton of high end gear and the equipment necessary to make a nice video won a guitar competition. We totally don't see that on every guitar video competition ever started.

Yea, but he deserves better than Skervesen :lol:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Except that his composition was clearly the best, I don't see how having nice gear should disqualify someone from a competition:scratch:

Because people who work hard and save to buy nice things aren't entitled to ever get a break apparently.

sehnomatic

Reaction score
So, who wants to make bets on vik's ability to deliver this guitar on time?

I raise my pocket lint and my bet's on "totally not namm 2015".

flint757

Reaction score
Because people who work hard and save to buy nice things aren't entitled to ever get a break apparently.

The comment sounded a lot more like light jest than outright condemnation. :lol:

It isn't an inaccurate observation either way to be honest.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Less this:

More this:

The comment sounded a lot more like light jest than outright condemnation. :lol:

It isn't an inaccurate observation either way to be honest.

But you guys can burn me at the stake in a gold ol' SSO dog pile if you want. :yesway:

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah anyways….. that video was awesome, well deserved winner!!!

I'd do an each way bet here personally…. it will get finished in a week or take 5 years :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
But you guys can burn me at the stake in a gold ol' SSO dog pile if you want. :yesway:

Eh, the way I see it, it's a competition, not a charity case. Best competition should win. Otherwise you go down this slippery slope, as there's no definitive line between good gear and bad...

"Guy already owned a blackmachine, it should have gone to someone who doesn't already have nice gear!"

"Guy already owned a J-custom, it should have gone to someone who doesn't already have nice gear!"

"Guy already owned a prestige, it should have gone to someone who doesn't already have nice gear!"

Totally arbitrary. You make it sound like the guitar version of the price is right. "Congratulations! You had the best composition without going over [budget on your gear]!" I mean, there's nothing stopping a kid from beating everyone with an iron label through a pod - a.) you can get great tone from that, and b.) the competition was not about tone or mixing. It just doesn't happen.

ormsby guitars

Reaction score

I'm just making an observation on a lot of these competitions that pop up. Whose video is going to grab your attention more: the kid playing through a Line 6 Spider, a backing track playing from his flip phone, and going through a webcam or the guy in a well lit studio with a camera shooting in 1080P and a very well mixed song with a sexy guitar to stare at? I feel that if both people had compositions of the same awesomeness, the latter would win every time because you're more likely to "suffer through" the first one so you can say the contest was fair because you looked at every entry.

Personally, Id choose the one with less gear, less money, because it would mean much more to one person...

Churchie777

Reaction score
Superman1.jpg
:lol:

Dude has talent and executed well /Story

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Personally, Id choose the one with less gear, less money, because it would mean much more to one person...

But how would you know? How does less gear equal less money.

Guitarist A has a cheapish guitar and records a mediocre entry. He could have an expensive car/apartment/lifestyle, dropped out of college, to lazy to get a job, doesn't save, spends all his money on other things etc

Guitarist B has a nice custom and Axe-fx that he busted his ass off to get working weekends and saving every penny he has.

The general consensus I see nowadays is that Guitarist A should get the prize because B already has good gear. Unless you see people's income and expenses how is it possible to just assume every entry with cheap guitar is from someone who can't afford hi-end gear.

It's like having a guitar building contest and the winner being the guy with uncrowned frets, rough sanding, bad routes and joinery all because he didn't have the tools to build a good one.

ormsby guitars

Reaction score
But how would you know? How does less gear equal less money.

Guitarist A has a cheapish guitar and records a mediocre entry. He could have an expensive car/apartment/lifestyle, dropped out of college, to lazy to get a job, doesn't save, spends all his money on other things etc

Guitarist B has a nice custom and Axe-fx that he busted his ass off to get working weekends and saving every penny he has.

The general consensus I see nowadays is that Guitarist A should get the prize because B already has good gear. Unless you see people's income and expenses how is it possible to just assume every entry with cheap guitar is from someone who can't afford hi-end gear.

It's like having a guitar building contest and the winner being the guy with uncrowned frets, rough sanding, bad routes and joinery all because he didn't have the tools to build a good one.

Not interested in the argument buddy. :wallbash:

downburst82

Reaction score
Captain Butterscotch said:

I think people missed this part of the post Perry was responding to.

Latest posts

')