Vik Guitars Discussion

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Just to clear this up for anyone reading it. Some people get a huge kick out of buying and selling really hi-end guitars. They just have to try every guitar out there so they end up going through a guitar a week/month. Not everyone is a dedicated player in the guitar world who holds on to all their guitars. Some guys just like trying, flipping and buying something else in a futile attempt to cure their GAS.

Also if your trying to sell something you own of course your going to praise it. Basic rule of being a salesman. Simple as that. Your just looking to hard into it or not looking at it from the right perspective.

There's a difference between the statement you just made and the position that Zach and Mehtab embody. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going through guitars; I believe I'm up to more than 30 owned in the last few years (most higher end)...the issue comes from the associated mentality.

____

Out of curiosity, and for future reference, how much does a daily pass to NAMM cost?

theoctopus

乇レ 刀uᄊ乇尺o u刀o
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, and for future reference, how much does a daily pass to NAMM cost?

Depends on your connection to the music industry. I paid $0 this year, $25 last year. If you're buying from someone who's listing passes for sale on CL, you can pay upward of $100 per pass. If you're interested in going next year, shoot me a PM and I'll try to put you in touch with someone who can give you a pass at cost.

JayT

Reaction score
i hope not. he did not ask me about any of that, but i do not want it there. i will be more pleased if i had seen a pic of the guitar ready for final assembly but we will see soon enough....
So? Any good news you can share with us? :)

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
the fact that he just posted his build on fb

What are the chances that the duality run will actually be finished by ViK USA? (Which is the main design that ViK USA will be offering).

SavM

Reaction score
What are the chances that the duality run will actually be finished by ViK USA? (Which is the main design that ViK USA will be offering).

From a business pov it would make sense, but I anticipate some/ a lot of backlash if that was the case. More so for the fact that there appears to be a serious lack of comms going on.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score

Just posted on Facebook:

In response to some inquiries from guys on the list: ViK Guitars USA won't affect things about your custom orders placed with ViK Guitars. Your ViKs will still be handmade by Vik Kuletski in Europe.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
^I thought Paul's insane redwood Burl Duality 7 and Kruneh's Flamed Redwood Duality 6 were finished after yours?

Mine was indeed a waiting list guitar. It took about 25 months from order to completion.

for the drools
983977_10151684331896049_1150188344_n.jpg

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Also if your trying to sell something you own of course your going to praise it. Basic rule of being a salesman. Simple as that. Your just looking to hard into it or not looking at it from the right perspective.

Of course, there's a difference between the sort of "pump-and-dump" hype sales ("screw everyone else, I want as much money as I can get"), and being fair to your fellow guitar players/gearheads. SS.org used to be a place where the second happened. Nowadays, I see a lot more of the first, and it's a big part of why I don't post here much anymore :-/

I hope you guys who are stuck waiting get guitars soon.

BlackStar7

Lord Autumnbottom
Reaction score
It's a serious bummer that it's become so hard for paying customers to actually get one of Vik's instruments - drmosh's Duality posted above is TRULY one of the most gorgeous guitars I've ever seen. Utterly drool-worthy.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Of course, there's a difference between the sort of "pump-and-dump" hype sales ("screw everyone else, I want as much money as I can get"), and being fair to your fellow guitar players/gearheads. SS.org used to be a place where the second happened. Nowadays, I see a lot more of the first, and it's a big part of why I don't post here much anymore :-/

I hope you guys who are stuck waiting get guitars soon.

Yeah, I've been here one year less than you, and I've also noticed the change. The good thing is I've been around long enough to be able to tell when someone is hyping something like that. It's a shame, but there's no rule saying the pendulum won't swing back the other way. I kind of feel like we're in a custom guitar bubble now. There's no way 4 years ago people on here would have been buying used guitars from new luthiers for $4000.

JayT

Reaction score
the fact that he just posted his build on fb
Oh, I've just seen it, I thought you meant Misha posted it.

What can I say... I'm hoping my other expectations turn out to be wrong. It's a good example of how the things work.

My main issue with all of this is actually that Vik asked people for guitars to be paid. He asks for a lot of money. I simply think that luthiers should be asking for a lot of money only if they intend to respect their customers and the deadlines both parties have agreed upon. But if luthier gives everyone and everything a priority he should not have asked for anything else apart from the deposit. Just say "non-returnable deposit, your guitar might be finished in 1 year or 5 years, no guarantees, you come after everything else that I might come up with in the future." If it was like that I wouldn't have had a problem at all. His business - his rules. I think what some people don't realize is, that half of the customers on the waiting list (make that big majority if runs are counted) were given a completion deadline. From that point Vik later (January 2012) changed the waiting list to "completion time not guaranteed". People on waiting list below 15th spot have all agreed to that condition.

I just thought I would clarify that, because at the moment nowhere on the site, facebook or forum you can find any mention of completion time. It was different before January 2012. People who ordered their guitars in 2011 were told "9-12 months". First guitar on the waiting list was ordered in July 2011.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion so I just wanted to clarify: all completion dates given before January 2012 were in dog-years.

')