Vik Guitars Discussion

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Simic

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply TIBrent...
Another random question; is it just me or is the body size for both 6 and 7 string duality the same?

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply TIBrent...
Another random question; is it just me or is the body size for both 6 and 7 string duality the same?

Nothing out of the ordinary there, it's not that common that body size is increased for a 7 from the 6 string variant... Look at RG's, Ibanez didn't change anything body related until the 8 string...

Simic

Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't know that.. I guess I'm too used to seeing 7 string Dualities and that's why the 6 string seemed a bit odd to me. Or maybe it's just because of its colour scheme.

10952276_935078466532630_1323487992645399254_n.jpg

Gango79

Reaction score
^Wow that is a nice collection!! Not sure if he owns the FF8 and Duality 6.

Yes! I think it's a photos the "namm crew" made after the show...for sure there's a luky one who owns a Saviour, Caprice and a Duality 7 flamed top!!!!

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
... 2) he's unilaterally canceling their orders ...

You forgot two key points:
  • Without refunding deposits
  • Using the cancelation as a threat agaisnt anybody that might say anything he capreciously considers derogatory. Even if the postential customer is telling the truth.

DakiEnt

Reaction score
I was part of the original "Transcendance" Duality 7 run. I received my guitar a few months ago, and it is spectacular. Figured I owed this thread a NGD.

I own several high end, "boutiqu-ey" sevens (I won't list them, just trust me!) and this is probably my favorite. The build quality is incredible, the fretwork is perfect (coming from someone who has most guitars Plek'd), and I love the pickups. They sounds angry but at the same time clean up well, extremely versatile. My favorite thing about this guitar is the neck profile...I'm not great at describing them objectively, but it just feels perfect to me. If I had to pick something to criticize, I would say the thin nitro finish looks incredible but may not be the most robust finish compared to a usual poly. I play my guitars a lot and leave them out, so we will see how well the thin nitro lasts.

FWIW, Vik was great to deal with. For example, I hit him up at the last minute asking about an upgrade to SS frets. (Keep in mind, this was a fixed spec run). He replied immediately saying, sure, no problem, $50 upcharge...which is very reasonable and a no brainer for me. So I have SS frets on this, and they feel great.

(Edited, as--no offense--I really am not interested in engaging in any online debates. Sorry!)

Some quick pics, sorry not a great photographer.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I just don't respect labeling anyone with a dissenting viewpoint a "shill".

There are a lot more reasons for that word being used here in context than just being a dissenting viewpoint.

That guitar looks great though :yesway:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I just don't respect labeling anyone with a dissenting viewpoint a "shill".

Now you've actually crossed into shill/sycophant realm.

It's one thing to be somebody to whom Vik's guitars are so important that they can ignore the fact that
  • He has a huge backlog, is accepting new builds, is completing new builds, all while ignoring 1+ year-old builds
  • He has made bigoted, anti-LGBT comments
  • He has made misogynistic comments
  • He has canceled peoples builds and not returned deposits (i.e. STOLE deposits) because the customer made true comments that Vik didn't like
To me, these are merely folks that are as bigoted and/or misogynistic as Vik or are shallow and/or weak enough that they value Vik's guitars more then they value being a decent human being. Much like the folks that continue to shop at Hobby Lobby, etc.

Then there are the folks that want reality to be ignores and/or swept under the rug. Those are the folks that get labeled shill/sycophant.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I was part of the original "Transcendance" Duality 7 run. I received my guitar a few months ago, and it is spectacular. Figured I owed this thread a NGD.

I own several high end, "boutiqu-ey" sevens (I won't list them, just trust me!) and this is probably my favorite. The build quality is incredible, the fretwork is perfect (coming from someone who has most guitars Plek'd), and I love the pickups. They sounds angry but at the same time clean up well, extremely versatile. My favorite thing about this guitar is the neck profile...I'm not great at describing them objectively, but it just feels perfect to me. If I had to pick something to criticize, I would say the thin nitro finish looks incredible but may not be the most robust finish compared to a usual poly. I play my guitars a lot and leave them out, so we will see how well the thin nitro lasts.

FWIW, Vik was great to deal with. For example, I hit him up at the last minute asking about an upgrade to SS frets. (Keep in mind, this was a fixed spec run). He replied immediately saying, sure, no problem, $50 upcharge...which is very reasonable and a no brainer for me. So I have SS frets on this, and they feel great.

(Edited, as--no offense--I really am not interested in engaging in any online debates. Sorry!)

Some quick pics, sorry not a great photographer.

Awesome guitar, awesome pics, and awesome viewpoints! I choose to ignore all the noise from those who are just causing unnecessary drama. I wont engage with them either, even though they will try. That guitar is AMAZING !!

Congrats on the SS frets upgrade too! Is that the twin top to the ViK in a Week?

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
speaking of vik in a week, boy did that build piss the .... out of me. here i am about 10 months into my wait and he builds a guitar in a week, fast forward two years for that point, i get my guitar. that was some serious bullshit. i know it boiled in a lot of other customers too but everyone was afraid to step on his toes, i get so angry everytime i think about my dealings with vik and for the life of me, cant even sell the guitar

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Now you've actually crossed into shill/sycophant realm.

It's one thing to be somebody to whom Vik's guitars are so important that they can ignore the fact that
  • He has a huge backlog, is accepting new builds, is completing new builds, all while ignoring 1+ year-old builds
  • He has made bigoted, anti-LGBT comments
  • He has made misogynistic comments
  • He has canceled peoples builds and not returned deposits (i.e. STOLE deposits) because the customer made true comments that Vik didn't like
To me, these are merely folks that are as bigoted and/or misogynistic as Vik or are shallow and/or weak enough that they value Vik's guitars more then they value being a decent human being. Much like the folks that continue to shop at Hobby Lobby, etc.

Then there are the folks that want reality to be ignores and/or swept under the rug. Those are the folks that get labeled shill/sycophant.

Take my word as one of the guys you're probably referring to as having cancelled build: you're a bit out of line here.

The guy simply posted a review of his guitar. It totally echoes my own thoughts on my ViK - exactly the same notable features. It's not shilling to point those out -- Vik's personal beliefs and business practices doesn't mean he can't build a great guitar, or imply that any positive review is full of lies.

On the flip side, buying a pre-spec'd run guitar isn't going to give him any real understanding of what it's like to deal with ViK with a custom order. I bet many people who buy already finished ViK guitars may walk away with nothing bad to say. Doesn't make that guy a shill, you just have to put things in perspective and realize that they were in a comparatively low-risk situation.

Similarly, ordering a guitar doesn't have to be an ethical battleground -- I can eat at Chick Fil A and support gay marriage and not spiral into a pit of confusion and self doubt, and there are plenty of really significant pros and cons to ordering a ViK Guitar that I think supersede moral concerns.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
^ Took the words right out of my mouth, also you can't really make that call when a customer is stuck in a situation with a luthier who won't actually always refund them.

For some of his customers, some of them may just hate everything that's happening but they can't speak up in fear of losing their guitars/money. There's definitely a better place to put your resentment towards, the man himself is to blame for canceling orders and treating certain customers badly, not the customers.

')