Vola Guitars - What do you know?

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
There's this chap on youtube (Joss Allen) that plays the shit out of them, he used to do a bunch of the reviews for Andertons, he makes em sound killer, massively talented player

Looks like he's got a signature model with them now actually:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
TBH I like their Caparison headstock better than Caparison's.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Me three. They had this really nice purple flame that you can see in the video below, but looks like only the green hit the market? Shame as it looks awesome.

Yeah the green one was a cool callback to his Washburn, but that purple one is absolute sexy.

Shame the guitars are just... there. :lol: Judging by the impressions here they don't seem like they're worth the price?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah the green one was a cool callback to his Washburn, but that purple one is absolute sexy.

Shame the guitars are just... there. :lol: Judging by the impressions here they don't seem like they're worth the price?

Don't get me wrong, the few I played (also at Chondro :lol: ) were solid, good guitars. I wouldn't say they're not worth the price, especially if one of the designs speaks to you, there's just a lot of competition from more well known, mainstream brands at the same price, so it's hard to choose Vola vs. a known quantity if you don't love the design and/just want to be different.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I wouldn't say they aren't worth the price. Like I said, they didn't appeal to me too much, but that isn't really tied to some sort of objective flaw or defect else I'd have mentioned it straight off the bat, just personal taste. They were well built, sounded alright and were clearly stable as they were in tune and the necks were properly setup even with all the shipping and really inclement conditions at NAMM.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the few I played (also at Chondro :lol: ) were solid, good guitars. I wouldn't say they're not worth the price, especially if one of the designs speaks to you, there's just a lot of competition from more well known, mainstream brands at the same price, so it's hard to choose Vola vs. a known quantity if you don't love the design and/just want to be different.
What’s your take on the US made Vola vs the Japanese? Who is the US shop?

Seems like a couple signature models are US made.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What’s your take on the US made Vola vs the Japanese? Who is the US shop?

Seems like a couple signature models are US made.

I don't recall if I tried a USA one. I believe all those at Chondro at the time were Japanese built. If there was a USA in the pile it didn't seem any better or worse.

AltecGreen

Reaction score
I often recommend Vola to people on TGP because they have models with thick necks. That's a negative here but some on that forum look for huge necks.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I often recommend Vola to people on TGP because they have models with thick necks. That's a negative here but some on that forum look for huge necks.

Nothing I tried seemed crazy thick, but I'm probably an outlier as I play all kinds of stuff.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Bumping up this thread I been playing my red Luna model a lot lately and really digging it. I might get th yellow one and one with a maple fretboard. Plus the 7 strings look good too. The neck is round but not fat. My luna reminds me of an S series and SA Ibanez together. And with the limited amount of MIJ S series Ibanez models these days it is a welcome addition

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
This video just so happened to pop into my feed just now:

Obviously a sponsored video with a lot of b00mer licks, (I don't mind the latter, but you might) so I take it with a grain of salt, but the overall design looks really neat, and the sounds in the video are pretty good for what they are. Kinda like an Ibby AZ had a baby with a Caparison.

It does bother me that the pickguard hole for the pickup tabs is round, but the actual body routes are square. A bit nitpicky, but I can't unsee it.

devastone

Reaction score
I tried a few of the older models at Flipside Music in Denver, their original necks were very thick, they called it their large C, it didn't work for me. Apparently they got a lot of pushback on those, so while they still offer it, they also have a modern C, which is 2mm (.08") thinner. Most of the 7 strings already had the thinner neck. You have to know what you are looking at. The one reviewed above has the modern C. The 6 string ROAs could be either depending on when they were made, the neck joint might be a hint but don't take my word for that. Seems like they made some changes in the last year or two that would definitely make them more modern player friendly.

I think they are nice looking guitars and would like to try some of the new models. They are decent value for handmade in Japan. If I were to buy one I would definitely do it because it spoke to me and I was looking at a long term relationship, since they are not a major known name, I expect resale will be tough and at a loss.

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just ordered the OZ 7 RF RV with holiday discounts (ca 24,5%). Was drooling over the Ibanez AZ24047 for the longest time, but then took a wild gamble on Vola instead. Never tried the AZ either, but OZ neck should be a little thinner and design just spoke more to me.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Ive seen a few reviews of them online and they look really solid Japan made and good specs. I like the Vasti model but wish they had a longer scale length.

Latest posts

')