Vola Guitars - What do you know?

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Vola can make you the Keene models if you reach out to them. They come with thinner necks and are built to order in the states.
I just ordered one and I’ll report back with my take on it once I’ve had it for a bit.
I’ve got high hopes for it! I’m a big fan of Keene.
What's the cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
He's been teasing an orange one without the pickguard on Instagram, wonder if that'll be a 2024 MIJ model?

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I had a conversation with them yesterday, and they said they have a bunch of new models with the thinner necks coming out in the near future. I was specifically asking about the Vasti KJM and if they would put a thinner neck on that when they replied with the info on new models. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I know its kinda counter productive, but if they did a no pickguard model with a thin neck I could be very tempted.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, the green one is on the site under USA models, and he teased an orange one a few months ago that was supposed to be an updated sig.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yep, the green one is on the site under USA models, and he teased an orange one a few months ago that was supposed to be an updated sig.
Weird, doesn't show on the US mobile site, maybe I should try a VPN...

Edit: sure enough. Set my location in the UK and now it shows up. Weird.

Last edited:

77zark77

Reaction score
Despite my lil voice in that world, I'd like to thank Stéphane, a french luthier (who has stopped his luthery activity since) who designed with BenArbia his 6 and 7 string axes
Vola 'respects' the design and Benarbia will to keep SPCustom pickups (the ChaosLand is a killer !)
You can see here the 10:15 design, the guitar was called SS13, SS15 (if you make a search via CTRL-F)

jco5055

Reaction score
I emailed the US shop, just to see the prices etc, and when they replied asking for specs and I gave a loose list they ghosted lol

jco5055

Reaction score
they actually did get back to me, and they said it would be like $3800 for a pretty much full custom, which in the US seems great. I do wonder who's building them though...I know Acacia was mentioned but I don't know if that's still the case

EDIT: It definitely is, I see the Vola NAMM video and the Acacia founder is in the picture.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I love that Michael Keene sig to death. So glad he went back to the alien green finish for that guitar.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I feel like narrow nuts are fine if you never dabble in any chords beyond power lol
Even then my massive hands are iffy with them. :lol: I THOUGHT was doing fine when I tried a couple of Yamaha Pacificas, then I got a PRS CE24 and yeah, remembered why I prefer the wider nuts.

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually prefer narrow nut on Vola to the standard nut on Fujigen stuff due to less friction and easier tuning. I don't see much difference in stability and I like to throw in wall-of-distortion open chords on all seven strings and Fear Factory triplets all over the place.

But I do feel significant difference with medium frets compared to jumbo frets. My OZ 7 RV RF came with 9-56 gauge string set on medium frets and it seems that is where it's most comfortable at. And OZ 7 RV RF is a slinky dinky strat, so that's fine. But for hard riffery, I prefer jumbo frets with 10-59 gauge strings. Probably PDM/QGM and other signature models with stainless frets are bigger than standard nickel frets, but I have no confirmation on that.

Last edited:

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I feel like narrow nuts are fine if you never dabble in any chords beyond power lol
Does Keene have some form of focal dystonia? I remember him never using his pinky(?). So the narrow nut probably helps with some of the weird extended chords in his discography.

jco5055

Reaction score
Does Keene have some form of focal dystonia? I remember him never using his pinky(?). So the narrow nut probably helps with some of the weird extended chords in his discography.
I heard back in the day it was some kind of result from a fire/burn I think

')